We need a new Law: If Congress doesn't pass Budget items on time they lose $$$

Do you support docking Congress, the Senate and the President during any budget related shutdowns?

• Yes, make them get their budgets done on time, or no pay

Votes: 12 100.0%
  • No, because "some people are more equal than others"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
That does nothing if the president won't sign it.

I hope he'd sign it to avoid shutdowns. Right now both sides are locked down with no negotiation or compromise. How can we force both sides to negotiate in good faith and work out a compromise? Its bad now, but will be disastrous next month when they start on the full 2020 Budget.

Both sides?

There is no requirement to "negotiate" with the govt shutdown. That's done by choice. Trump's choice. The House has repeatedly passed bills to fund the govt. There's only one person standing in the way of reopening the govt.

Trump wants his fucking wall. He gets to sign the Budget, that means he gets some of what he wants. The dems won't negotiate and compromise, so there is a shutdown. Neither side will give in, so what happens now....nothing?
My point is that the 2020 budget fight will be 1000x worse if they don't learn how to compromise.
Trump wants his fucking wall.
Yes and he's hurting real Americans in an effort to create leverage. Most decidedly unpresidential behavior.

No one has a problem with compromise. The Dems have a problem with a shutdown. BTW, attempting to force the Dems with a shutdown is not operating in good faith. Not by any definition.

Nancy came in and said no wall money. Trump needs wall money. How can they meet in the middle? Nothing will happen until then.

Right. The hostage taker's demands have not been met. That dynamic will not change.

Where and how do you propose to get this new law and the supporting constitutional amendment passed? It will have to get approved in the very chambers that it would reign in.

”But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.”
Lysander Spooner

AOC proposed a Law that Congress and the Senate (add the President?) don't get paid during a shutdown, because they didn't do their jobs on time.
I want to go one step further. They lose pay during a budget related shutdown, and do NOT get any money, they get docked pay.

Doesn't she realize that for such a law to be passed, those lawmakers that would lose their pay would have to vote for it?

Well, I can't swear to Googly-Eyes knowing anything, since she's definitely not the brightest light on the Christmas tree. But I'm 99% certain she's just talking to sound good, without ever intending any actual action to go into it.

AOC proposed a Law that Congress and the Senate (add the President?) don't get paid during a shutdown, because they didn't do their jobs on time.
I want to go one step further. They lose pay during a budget related shutdown, and do NOT get any money, they get docked pay.

Doesn't she realize that for such a law to be passed, those lawmakers that would lose their pay would have to vote for it?

Well, I can't swear to Googly-Eyes knowing anything, since she's definitely not the brightest light on the Christmas tree. But I'm 99% certain she's just talking to sound good, without ever intending any actual action to go into it.

Many like her talk a lot and say nothing.

Pretty common in politics, sadly.

Most people speak because they have something to say. She speaks because she has to say something.

Most people speak because they have something to say. She speaks because she has to say something.

In fairness, I think she actually often does think she has something to say. It's just that she's as wrong about that as she is about the things she says.

Just make it illegal to allow the government to run out of money. Shut-downs are an irresponsible and ineffective political tactic that should never happen again.
You can't force folks to vote, nor the President not to veto. I agree with not paying the critters during a shut down though.

I say they require a new budget for the next fiscal year by the end of the old one or the current budget rolls over with no changes. Either way, the debt ceiling is automatically raised to cover the expenditures, no more debt ceiling bullshit. If they pass any budget changes or appropriations later, then the debt ceiling gets automatically raised to cover the changes.

I find it interesting that she proposed a law about it, but hasn't actually stopped collecting her checks. Can we say "All talk and no action"?
She didn't have enough $$ for her rent deposit a month ago. Give the kid a break.

Do you honestly think the House OR the Senate would pass it?
LOL

LOL

I was just saying that Trump is the problem now. Sanctioning congress does nothing if the president won't sign it anyway.

LOL

I was just saying that Trump is the problem now. Sanctioning congress does nothing if the president won't sign it anyway.
Personally, I think there's plenty of blame to go around down there, but everyone is unfortunately wasting their time and energy arguing about who is to blame instead of solving the problem.
I don't think the Dems are close to caving yet. It doesn't sound like Trump is either. We're in for a bumpy ride, if you ask me.

Forum List

Back