We should rid ourselves of redundant Federal Bureaucracies...and use the money more wisely.

The Office of Education has been around since 1867.

It didn't stop Jim Crow, the Supreme Court did.

And getting rid of the Department of Education wouldn't bring back Jim Crow. Black students are overwhelmingly failing to get a quality education today...under the department of education.

IOW, it ain't helping you.

Let it go. It's nothing but a hole into which we throw money.

My old man, son of a dirt farmer, got a better education in a one room schoolhouse and went on to get a PhD.

This is a sacred cow that needs to be slaughtered.
To be replaced by what exactly?

That isn't the way it works.

Unless you happen to be in the minority...then you're fucked without federal protections. Such was the case with Jim Crow before we passed amendments to abolish it.

Wow...you're joking right?

right, Jim Crow is no more, so what does that have to do with todays issues? If black people in black communities are having problems, they need to get after their local leaders to fix them. States being allowed to keep their own money rather than having to get it back from federal government, would help them be able to keep money in those communities.

Wow...you're joking right?

No, you never hear that the Air Force was tasked with handling space. The only thing you hear about space is just NASA.

So, the current space force is tucked under the wing of the Air Force. If you think that is redundant, then advocate for eliminating it, that’s all I can suggest.

If you feel we spend too much money on the military..then pressure your congressmen to slash their budgets…that’s where you have to start.

Hmmm...

So what happened to the howitzer in your garage and all of the other howitzers you've been buying for what, 50 years now?

They all fall into disrepair because you no longer have the budget to maintain them, and the further out you go, if we’re all spending about the same amount on military, eventually we all get to be around the same power level.

right, Jim Crow is no more, so what does that have to do with todays issues? If black people in black communities are having problems, they need to get after their local leaders to fix them. States being allowed to keep their own money rather than having to get it back from federal government, would help them be able to keep money in those communities.
Yeah sure... Simple right? Why didn't they do that in the 50's and 60's? Ever heard of Selma?
No, you never hear that the Air Force was tasked with handling space. The only thing you hear about space is just NASA.
You should have listened more closely.

So, the current space force is tucked under the wing of the Air Force. If you think that is redundant, then advocate for eliminating it, that’s all I can suggest.
Agreed. It was just one of a great many of the blob's silly ideas. The only difference is that red state morons love the idea of more military spending whether it does anything or not. This is why we keep making new weapons when what we had 15 years ago is still the best around.

They all fall into disrepair because you no longer have the budget to maintain them, and the further out you go, if we’re all spending about the same amount on military, eventually we all get to be around the same power level.
Ahh...now you're putting words into my mouth. When did I say to stop the upkeep on them? I said when your neighbor has slingshots, and you already have a howitzer....you don't need to come out with a bigger/badder howitzer.

See, this is what you guys always do. Mischaracterize or, as in you case, outright lie about what was said.

Yeah sure... Simple right? Why didn't they do that in the 50's and 60's? Ever heard of Selma?

You should have listened more closely.

Agreed. It was just one of a great many of the blob's silly ideas. The only difference is that red state morons love the idea of more military spending whether it does anything or not. This is why we keep making new weapons when what we had 15 years ago is still the best around.

It’s 2024, that was a different time. If you believe state and local governments are ineffective, then why not mount an effort to just abolish them. We’ll just let the federal government run…everything…

This is why we keep making new weapons when what we had 15 years ago is still the best around.

Ok, all I can say is keep advocating for the reduction in our military budget, I think it’s a mistake but you don’t, so maybe you know better..so, I recommend you and all the dems, next time you have total control, like you did for a time under Obama, that you do all of these things that you keep wanting but never do. You should:

Cut military budget to 200 billion
Ban all guns you think are bad
Raise taxes on the wealthy to 90%
Federally fund reparations for every black person in the country
Provide free education, free housing, free medical care to everyone
Get rid of the combustion engine and fossil fuels
Close all coal plants and erect wind and solar panels everywhere

I’m sure I’m missing something, but, you all had an opportunity under Obama to pass any bill you wanted because for a time, you had a filibuster proof majority, and you didn’t act on it. Don’t let that happen again, if you get the chance. You should swiftly pass every one of these measures…if you don’t, the dems will have nobody to blame but themselves.

Ahh...now you're putting words into my mouth. When did I say to stop the upkeep on them? I said when your neighbor has slingshots, and you already have a howitzer....you don't need to come out with a bigger/badder howitzer.

See, this is what you guys always do. Mischaracterize or, as in you case, outright lie about what was said.

I didn’t put words into your mouth, those were my words. If you no longer have a budget to maintain your military, including the equipment, and the personnel, eventually those things will start falling apart.

It takes money to maintain…and replace aging and worn out equipment. At a yearly budget of 200bn, how far would that go?

I don’t know, but if you think 200bn is enough to keep us on the cutting edge of military supremacy, then next time you have total power, start cutting..

We should rid ourselves of redundant Federal Bureaucracies...and use the money more wisely.​

Starting with the House of (lobbyist) Representatives.

It’s simple folks. Get back to what’s laid out in the Constitution. Everything else is over reach.

You’re totally right, but, we’re waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa……

…..aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay past that now. The federal government is too far bloated and beyond their reach that we are never going back.

We all like to talk about abiding by cotus but if we’re being honest, the cotus stopped being adhered to a very long time ago. 90% of what the federal government does is in violation of the cotus. At this point, it really is just an old, worn out piece of paper.

We’ve all done a damn good job of neglecting it over the decades….

…..aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay past that now. The federal government is too far bloated and beyond their reach that we are never going back.

We all like to talk about abiding by cotus but if we’re being honest, the cotus stopped being adhered to a very long time ago. 90% of what the federal government does is in violation of the cotus. At this point, it really is just an old, worn out piece of paper.

"We" meaning the duopoly "parties" at the will of their constituency, the lobbies.

"We" meaning the duopoly "parties" at the will of their constituency, the lobbies.
True, but that doesn’t mean we can’t recognize our mistakes, and take steps to return to sanity.

Any department that is mirrored by a state level department is redundant and should be dismantled, starting with the Department of Education.

I'm sure once upon a time this agency was established with the best intentions...but now it's time to return these duties and responsibilities back to the States.

We should be using these wasted funds for something NOT redundant. Perhaps a federally funded Innocence Project that reviews the cases of convicted criminals to combat miscarriages of justice like this one...

But money is not unlimited. We need to end redundancy and put part of the savings to better use.

I wouldn't end them, just slice them down so all they do is set minimum standards for said State level agencies, and set standards for and regulate anything that crosses State lines.

No through funding, not rulemaking besides minimal standards forming.

Ok, but would dropping our military budget to 200bn as IM2 suggests, would that have a negative effect on our military preparedness, training, and capability ?

We would need to change the way we use our military, but yes if it were just for defending the nation we could.

The world no longer needs us to be its police force

To be replaced by what exactly?

Nothing. It is not needed.

This is one area I agree with the OP.

Nobody can show the value added for the money spent on the Dept of Ed.

Look at our world rankings for students, they started going down not long after the creation of the Dept of Ed.

Nothing. It is not needed.

This is one area I agree with the OP.

Nobody can show the value added for the money spent on the Dept of Ed.

Look at our world rankings for students, they started going down not long after the creation of the Dept of Ed.
How will our children get educated?

Forum List

Back