Welfare Was Great...Until Blacks Started Getting It.

IM2

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 11, 2015
Yep, that's what I said.

Aid to Families with Dependent Children was established by the Social Security Act of 1935 to enable states to provide cash welfare payments for needy children whose father or mother was absent from the home, incapacitated, deceased, or unemployed.

It was a program that was initially only given to whites. For 30 years this was done with no complaints from whites. In those days white women were encouraged to stay home and not work. If no man was there this program took care of white mothers without jobs.

How racism has shaped welfare policy in America since 1935

Alma CartenAugust 21, 2016

The ADC was an extension of the state-operated mothers’ pension programs, where white widows were the primary beneficiaries. The criteria for eligibility and need were state-determined, so blacks continued to be barred from full participation because the country operated under the “separate but equal” doctrine adopted by the Supreme Court in 1896.

Jim Crow Laws and the separate but equal doctrine resulted in the creation of a two-track service delivery system in both law and custom, one for whites and one for blacks that were anything but equal.

America Is Brutal to Parents. Biden Is Trying to Change That.
April 29, 2021
MICHELLE GOLDBERG

The original Aid to Dependent Children program — which would become Aid to Families With Dependent Children — began during the New Deal. It was meant, as the Supreme Court described it in 1975, “to free widowed and divorced mothers from the necessity of working, so that they could remain home to supervise their children.”

Eligibility was determined by states and localities, which found various ways to exclude Black women. With the civil rights revolution in the 1960s, however, more Black mothers were able to receive benefits. As they did, conservatives started demonizing “welfare mothers” as indolent Black women, even though there continued to be more white women than Black women on A.F.D.C.

In “The Sum of Us: What Racism Costs Everyone and How We Can Prosper Together,” Heather McGhee detailed how support for public goods collapsed among white people once Black people had access to them. This very much includes relief for parents and children.

“The fear of lazy Black mothers who would reproduce without working goes really deep in this country,” McGhee told me. It’s hard to imagine how a proposal for automatic cash payments to families could have gone anywhere during decades of moral panic about Black mothers luxuriating on the dole.

Last edited:
Yep, that's what I said.

Aid to Families with Dependent Children was established by the Social Security Act of 1935 to enable states to provide cash welfare payments for needy children whose father or mother was absent from the home, incapacitated, deceased, or unemployed.

It was a program that was initially only given to whites. For 30 years this was done with no complaints from whites. In those days white women were encouraged to stay home and not work. If no man was there this program took care of white mothers without jobs.

April 29, 2021
MICHELLE GOLDBERG

The original Aid to Dependent Children program — which would become Aid to Families With Dependent Children — began during the New Deal. It was meant, as the Supreme Court described it in 1975, “to free widowed and divorced mothers from the necessity of working, so that they could remain home to supervise their children.”

Eligibility was determined by states and localities, which found various ways to exclude Black women. With the civil rights revolution in the 1960s, however, more Black mothers were able to receive benefits. As they did, conservatives started demonizing “welfare mothers” as indolent Black women, even though there continued to be more white women than Black women on A.F.D.C.

In “The Sum of Us: What Racism Costs Everyone and How We Can Prosper Together,” Heather McGhee detailed how support for public goods collapsed among white people once Black people had access to them. This very much includes relief for parents and children.

“The fear of lazy Black mothers who would reproduce without working goes really deep in this country,” McGhee told me. It’s hard to imagine how a proposal for automatic cash payments to families could have gone anywhere during decades of moral panic about Black mothers luxuriating on the dole.

Yep -- dig DEEP for your outrage. Like 1935 deep. Things SUCKED in 1935.. Did you not know that?

Never talk about present or future. Welfare STILL Great for whites. Lots more poor whites than blacks.. So -- federal child support AINT RACIST and neither are attempts to MANAGE it..

Yep, that's what I said.

April 29, 2021
MICHELLE GOLDBERG

Yep -- dig DEEP for your outrage. Like 1935 deep. Things SUCKED in 1935.. Did you not know that?

Never talk about present or future. Welfare STILL Great for whites. Lots more poor whites than blacks.. So -- federal child support AINT RACIST and neither are attempts to MANAGE it..
I don't have to dig deep. But I can state the history of racist public policy. Because this policy was changed in 1995 based on the racist perception that my OP was titled for. And since 1995 was in your lifetime you can't use that sorry punk ass excuse.

Yep, that's what I said.

How racism has shaped welfare policy in America since 1935

Alma CartenAugust 21, 2016

The ADC was an extension of the state-operated mothers’ pension programs, where white widows were the primary beneficiaries. The criteria for eligibility and need were state-determined, so blacks continued to be barred from full participation because the country operated under the “separate but equal” doctrine adopted by the Supreme Court in 1896.

Jim Crow Laws and the separate but equal doctrine resulted in the creation of a two-track service delivery system in both law and custom, one for whites and one for blacks that were anything but equal.

April 29, 2021
MICHELLE GOLDBERG

You blacks sure do love that white privilege welfare system, created by whites for whites.

If you don’t like it, why don’t you try Africa’s welfare system?

The criteria for eligibility and need were state-determined, so blacks continued to be barred from full participation because the country operated under the “separate but equal” doctrine adopted by the Supreme Court in 1896.

Funny, blacks voted for the Democrats back then, the same people that denied those benefits with their Jim Crow laws.

And here you are 90 years later still voting for the same old party.

And since 1995 was in your lifetime you can't use that sorry punk ass excuse.
I grew up in south Alabama in the 60s. Raised by a single parent and ate more than a few meals purchased with "food stamps". I never attended a public school without black classmates. For the sake of discussion, let's assume your entire premise is accurate in every detail. Racism against blacks was/is real and further progress is possible.
Care to enlighten us on how perpetually focusing on race will lead to better outcomes?
I gotta say, your emphasis seems focused on assigning culpability far more than seeking peaceful coexistence. Your anger comes through in every post. It almost appears that you are more interested in retribution than the betterment of blacks in America.
THAT is a path best avoided. In my experience in the south, great improvements have occurred. The prevalence of interracial couples should be proof to reasonable people that we've made huge progress. When Americans of ANY race refuse to acknowledge the progress and to continually seek redress for "sins" of decades, long past, we run a real risk of burning down what took so long to build. So, are you more concerned with advancement or revenge?

And since 1995 was in your lifetime you can't use that sorry punk ass excuse.
I grew up in south Alabama in the 60s. Raised by a single parent and ate more than a few meals purchased with "food stamps". I never attended a public school without black classmates. For the sake of discussion, let's assume your entire premise is accurate in every detail. Racism against blacks was/is real and further progress is possible.
Care to enlighten us on how perpetually focusing on race will lead to better outcomes?
I gotta say, your emphasis seems focused on assigning culpability far more than seeking peaceful coexistence. Your anger comes through in every post. It almost appears that you are more interested in retribution than the betterment of blacks in America.
THAT is a path best avoided. In my experience in the south, great improvements have occurred. The prevalence of interracial couples should be proof to reasonable people that we've made huge progress. When Americans of ANY race refuse to acknowledge the progress and to continually seek redress for "sins" of decades, long past, we run a real risk of burning down what took so long to build. So, are you more concerned with advancement or revenge?
It’s pretty clear he’s for revenge. Plus he wants reparations from white people who never owned slaves, nor committed an act of racism, and he disputes that many whites living today are descendants of Union soldiers who fought to free his ancestors.

For 30 years this was done with no complaints from whites.

I'm fairly certain that the majority of taxpayers (Income Tax was instituted in 1913) took umbrage at having to support the indigent regardless of race.
This is a great example of bonehead tory thinking. Let everyone starve because a small minority are working the system.

And it is true that 66% of African American families are single parent families, according the United States Census Bureau Data

2/3rds of black families are single parent. further the US has the highest rate of single parents in the world.

Let everyone starve because a small minority are working the system.

"At this festive season of the year, Mr Scrooge, ... it is more than usually desirable that we should make some slight provision for the Poor and destitute, who suffer greatly at the present time. Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?"

"Plenty of prisons..."
Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?"
"Both very busy, sir..."
"Those who are badly off must go there."
"Many can't go there; and many would rather die."

Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

-- Charles Dickens, "A Christmas Carol"

The fear of lazy Black mothers who would reproduce without working goes really deep in this country,” McGhee told me.

Yep.

Now we have many generations of "lazy Black mothers" continuing to procreate - biological fathers largely "out of the picture" - at taxpayer expense. And this is said to be an irrational concern?

Seriously?

The criteria for eligibility and need were state-determined, so blacks continued to be barred from full participation because the country operated under the “separate but equal” doctrine adopted by the Supreme Court in 1896.

Funny, blacks voted for the Democrats back then, the same people that denied those benefits with their Jim Crow laws.

And here you are 90 years later still voting for the same old party.
Blacks voted republican back then. The party of Lincoln. it is right wingers who used to vote democrat until the civil rights movement.

The fear of lazy Black mothers who would reproduce without working goes really deep in this country,” McGhee told me.

Yep.

Now we have many generations of "lazy Black mothers" continuing to procreate - biological fathers largely "out of the picture" - at taxpayer expense. And this is said to be an irrational concern?

Seriously?
At one point, it was said that up to a quarter of adult black males were in the criminal justice system. Is it any wonder why right wingers are for, for-profit prisons.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2

Forum List

Back