Well Newsome signed it, it's now official. The MINIMUM wage now to flip burgers is $20.00 an hour in California

What happens in California doesn't affect the rest of the states. If every last burger joint in america shut it's doors not big deal. $20 per hour isn't a living wage anywhere in america and it hasn't been for many many years.
Working at McDonalds was never intended to provide a living wage. It’s fine for high school kids with no real job skills to pick up a little spending money - which is what it was when I grew up in a better America. (Or maybe a wife from the working class working part-time to augment the family Income.)

The intent was for kids to graduate from high school, and then learn a trade or go to college for a professional career.

Almost all the McDonalds workers around me are Hispanic immigrants, with poor English and no job skills. Our intent should NOT be to allow unskilled immigrants into this country, and then raise the cost of unskilled jobs to the point that a married couple is earning $80,000 a year combined. It increases inflation on everyone else, particularly seniors on fixed incomes, and hurts small business owners.

Even worse, it drives companies to install kiosks and thus removes what SHOULD be jobs for high school kids from the marketplace.

Working at McDonalds was never intended to provide a living wage.

The jobs that were intended to pay well have in many cases went overseas. People still need to work and be able to pay their bills.

It’s fine for high school kids with no real job skills to pick up a little spending money - which is what it was when I grew up in a better America. (Or maybe a wife from the working class working part-time to augment the family Income.)

The intent was for kids to graduate from high school, and then learn a trade or go to college for a professional career.

Almost all the McDonalds workers around me are Hispanic immigrants, with poor English and no job skills. Our intent should NOT be to allow unskilled immigrants into this country, and then raise the cost of unskilled jobs to the point that a married couple is earning $80,000 a year combined. It increases inflation on everyone else, particularly seniors on fixed incomes, and hurts small business owners.

Even worse, it drives companies to install kiosks and thus removes what SHOULD be jobs for high school kids from the marketplace.

And then people will get a guarantied wage. We can tax businesses to pay for it.

With Restaurants selling Burgers for $15.00, it seems reasonable the guy flipping them deserves $20 an hour

The jobs that were intended to pay well have in many cases went overseas. People still need to work and be able to pay their bills.
it’s “GONE” overseas. And people need to get some sort of training for jobs that will let them pay their bills. A life-long career at McDonald’s isn’t it.
And then people will get a guarantied wage. We can tax businesses to pay for it.
And more businesses out of business, and even fewer jobs. My last dollar earned when I owned a business was 50%. How much more do you think small businesses can pay and remain in business?

it’s “GONE” overseas. And people need to get some sort of training for jobs that will let them pay their bills. A life-long career at McDonald’s isn’t it.

I always wondered about those ads for "some sort of job".

And more businesses out of business, and even fewer jobs. My last dollar earned when I owned a business was 50%. How much more do you think small businesses can pay and remain in business?

McDonald's sales, profit top estimates as inflation persists

More than they are now.

It might be a good time to move back to Reno. Work flipping burgers, no responsibility, no need to be anything more than a game-playing, brain-dead millennial, and take that the 20/hr out of the state where the cost of living is at least a little lower.
Good luck finding a job as fast food places in california replace humans with robots

I always wondered about those ads for "some sort of job".
I never saw an ad like that, but I took “some sort of job” when I was in high school for a little spending money, plus of course my parents wanted me to get a sense of a work ethic. That should NOT be the same type of job a 50-year old takes and then expects to support himself on.
You can’t raise the minimum wage on McDoanlds to $20 without driving small businesses, providing 10 or so jobs, out of business.

I never saw an ad like that, but I took “some sort of job” when I was in high school for a little spending money, plus of course my parents wanted me to get a sense of a work ethic. That should NOT be the same type of job a 50-year old takes and then expects to support himself on.

As already discussed, for many it's all that is left unless you want to move to an Asian country.

You can’t raise the minimum wage on McDoanlds to $20 without driving small businesses, providing 10 or so jobs, out of business.

If you say so.

Low wages are driving workers “out of business”
They can’t afford childcare, can’t pay increasing rents, can’t afford healthcare, can’t afford an education to get out of the rut

Meanwhile, McDonalds charges $7 for a Big Mac and makes record profits

They can’t afford childcare, can’t pay increasing rents, can’t afford healthcare, can’t afford an education to get out of the rut

You can blame Biden for it....

If those jobs are intended for kids then we really don't need those jobs. Let the kiosks reign. No loss. The jobs don't need to be done.

If those jobs are intended for kids then we really don't need those jobs. Let the kiosks reign. No loss. The jobs don't need to be done.
Uhm no one designated fast food jobs as "kids" only jobs, who in the hell works them when the kids are in school?

• Thanks
Reactions: cnm

Another leftist with no understanding of Econ 101.

1) Who promised adults that if they took on an unskilled job a 16-year-old does for a little extra spending money that they would be able to support their families on it?

2) Wow. You sure are looking for excuses. Now they can’t afford an education?? Our taxes fund Pell Grants, and that would provide them with an A.A. in a marketable field.

One can but a pound of beef and make 5 burgers for the price of a gross tasting fast food burger. Problem solved. McDonald's rendered unnecessary.

One can but a pound of beef and make 5 burgers for the price of a gross tasting fast food burger. Problem solved. McDonald's rendered unnecessary.
And fewer jobs in the marketplace. Teens can’t earn some spending money and a senior citizen can’t work a part-time job to supplement social security.

These jobs have uses. They’re just not for a family man (or woman) who has a family and needs to support them with a job.

And fewer jobs in the marketplace. Teens can’t earn some spending money and a senior citizen can’t work a part-time job to supplement social security.

These jobs have uses. They’re just not for a family man (or woman) who has a family and needs to support them with a job.
The inferior non essential jobs are going to go away. Although we never eat out I'd rather not have mt food handled by kids. Ick.

Forum List

Back