🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Well? What did you have for dinner tonight??

My grandma made bread pudding but she made it in a big pan and served lemon sauce with it.

It was also delish.

My grandma in Germany made a cherry desert thing. Maybe a 1.2" crust with the doings on top. She was old school with a wood stove.
A tart or...

black forest cake? chocolate cake, cherries, whipped cream???
She didn't speak English, I don't know what it was called, maybe a struddle. She had a wicked backhand so I kept a low profile. No whipped cream.

She also made a soup/dumpling dish, something called Greaseknuckles or something. Worst food ever. Looked like lightweight gear oil, you could see colors at certain angles. Not finishing was not an option.

Gotta go puke.....

My grandma in Germany made a cherry desert thing. Maybe a 1.2" crust with the doings on top. She was old school with a wood stove.
A tart or...

She didn't speak English, I don't know what it was called, maybe a struddle. She had a wicked backhand so I kept a low profile. No whipped cream.

She also made a soup/dumpling dish, something called Greaseknuckles or something. Worst food ever. Looked like lightweight gear oil, you could see colors at certain angles. Not finishing was not an option.

Gotta go puke.....

Hahahahahaha

kugel?
Strudel?
they have some yummies.

You're killing me.

Greaseknuckles hahahahahaha...had to be pigs' feet. Kinda scary for a kid!

I'm having chicken burrito tonight I made it myself :biggrin:

not mine but looks like this .....and is totally delicious!!

My grandma made bread pudding but she made it in a big pan and served lemon sauce with it.

It was also delish.

Ooh, I'm feeling a good bread pudding coming on. Sounds like a plan. May not do lemon sauce (although I also may), but definitely with some sort of fruit sauce.

I was noticing while I was at the store earlier that all the ingredients for my favorite, sugar-free (or nearly) strawberry shortcake were on sale, so I think I'll be making some this weekend.

A tart or...

Gotta go puke.....

Good God, does that bring back memories. My grandmother was a big-time gardener, and since her house lot was the next best thing to an acre, she had room to grow tons of stuff. All of our veggies and a several of our fruits came from her garden, and she didn't believe in store-bought snacks. You were hungry, you went outside, pulled something up, hosed it off, and ate it right there (Grandma refused to use commercial fertilizer of any kind, and would collect horse and cow manure from the ranchers in the area).

Only problem was, she insisted on growing that mushy orange squash that looks like the inside of a sick baby's diaper, and then insisted that we eat it. Everyone hated the stuff. I'm pretty sure even she didn't like it, so I have no idea why she didn't just grow something else. And anyone under the age of 18 did not even CONSIDER getting up from the dinner table until the plate was clean. Ohh, the nights my brother, sister, and I sat and stared at each other over those piles of inedible gunk.

Only thing she ever served that we didn't like. We dreaded squash season.

I made roast chicken tonight, with lots of garlic salt ,olive oil and pepper......roast potatoes and what I love best....avocado and tomato side salad :biggrin:

I've been working a lot lately and not a lot of time for cooking, unfortunately. :( I've been living on ham sandwiches and take out.

That's when you should use one of your days off to have a cooking day. Cook up enough to last until your next day off, then everything is all done & you just heat & eat thru the rest of the week. Somethings that don't hold over well, you can just prepare everything ahead of time....then when you're ready to eat it, just throw it all together.....it can save a lot of time on those busy work days/nights.
That and get a crockpot.......throw everything in there before you leave, turn it on and it's ready when you get home.

:Last night was

Beerded Drunkin Drums......pour a beer over chicken drumsticks in a 13x9 & bake in the oven for an hour, then top with BBQ sauce & bake another 1/2 hour.....350 degrees.
Seasoned Mashed Taters
Green Beans
Salad
Cheesy Garlic rolls

Four plus decades of planning and preparing three meals a day has left me bereft of ideas and desire to spend time in the kitchen...sooo....we've been trying the home delivery food boxes. I thoroughly enjoy them, they average a half hour or so to prep and cook - every ingredient is included - so no buying an expensive spice to use 1/2 tsp - or veggies that turn brown. Although they are supposed to provide two servings, we usually have leftovers for lunch the next day. I order three a week, then make a couple of one pot meals (soup, chili, etc.) for in between.

Last nite - roasted pork tenderloin with thyme, cauliflower and Yukon gold mash, steamed snap peas and savory chunky apple sauce. This weeks one-pot meal was chicken and rice soup.

Forum List

Back