Well? What did you have for dinner tonight??

Tonight, we're just doing catch-as-catch-can, because my husband and I both had really long, exhausting work weeks and we're too tired to cook. However, we had a new food truck at work today: Satay Kitchen. Marinated sirloin beef skewers over steamed rice and veggies with spicy peanut sauce.

My no meat no tomatoes chili, corn tortillas and a giant birthday cake.

I was raised on beans and we even did the chili thing after we live in New Mexico for a couple of years. But I've never been a die hard chili fan...I'm not a huge fan of spicy anything and I prefer con carne to beans...I've never gotten spiritual over making chili. I save that for potato salad.

But a couple of years ago I ventured into vegetarian chili on a whim...I have a son who likes chili so i figured why not...and it was so good.

Anyway the chili turned out fab. Onions, chili powder, garlic, pepper, salt, and cumin cooked in oil. Chicken boullion...cook it for a while, then add more water, more chili, more cumin, more bouillon. I don't know how to spell bouillon. Anyway it's good you'll just have to take my word for it. The cake is super awesome looking too. .

The cake....the picture doesn't do justice. It is very dark and the glaze is thick though it looks like it isn't. I didn't have a round platter big enough so it stayed in pan.
IMG_20180925_221146.jpg

Wednesday evenings are one of my special times with my boys. They meet me at the supermarket by our church, and we go to a different restaurant every week for dinner before going to Wednesday night services. The boys get to choose. This week, it was Subway. Pretty sure next week, it'll be Mexican food.

Nothing yet. I'm thinking about making some biscuits and gravy. I dunno. It's a little late in the evening for carbs.

I made the best goulash a week or so ago...it turned out so much better than I expected!
I cooked sausage and onions, salt,pepper, minced garlic...in olive oil, added italian seasoning

added spaghetti sauce
Added a little water
and a lot of penne pasta...

Let it cook for a while.
Homemade hamburger helper...added a bunch of freshly grated parmesan..

The kids demolished it within about 20 minutes. I didn't even get a bowl of it.

IMG_20180925_221146.jpg

Looks bizarre but was magnificent. Two nights ago homemade chocolate cake....

It was for my daughter's birthday.
That is an oversized round pan, like for a base layer of a wedding cake.

I didn't take it out of the pan because I didn't have a round plate large enough, and this was an after work whip it up thing so I did not have cardboard available to cover with tin foil to order...

Anyway...
2C sugar
1-3/4 c flour
3/4 c cocoal
3/4 c oil
2 eggs
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1-1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
vanilla
1 cup of water or coffee. I used about half/half

Mix thoroughly.

Add 1 cup of BOILING water or milk or coffee. I used water with instant vanilla flavored cappucino shit that has been in my cupboard forever.

There is something about adding the boiling water that does something to this recipe. I don't know if it changes the nature of the cocoa or what, but you will see it change when you add and beat it together.

Batter will be on the thinner side.

350 for about 30 minutes.
I cook in an oiled pan dusted with cocoa.

I ran a knife around the edges to let steam out and didn't remove it from the pan.

Icing was 3/4 c cocoa, 3/4 c confectioner's sugar, some vanilla and maybe a half cup of water..enough water to mix it up, then onto the burner and boil it for about 3 minutes.

pour it on the cake after the cake cools. Or before, I'm not sure it matters.

Super delish. The kids devoured this, too. The picture is weird, I don't know why, it looked almost like a mirror cake....

Last edited:

Forum List

Back