🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

West Point Cadet Uses Cell Phone During Graduation

To those not thinking this is a big deal - it is not about the person IN the uniform...it is about the uniform ON the person.
There are 400,000 war dead in Arlington Cemetery buried in those uniforms, along with millions overall.
When you put that uniform on you are not only representing the U.S. military - yuo are representing every single person who died in it. And THAT is a big deal.
Youre repeating military propaganda. Those people are dead. What this is about is training and lack of discipline.

True, but his point is correct. The military uniform is not just another uniform. Disrespecting it IS disrespecting those who came before you, you know that.
I think that is just so much propaganda. The mental technique is well known. You may not respect authority but most people have a natural respect for dead heroes. Its just a technique used to maintain compliance.

Of course that is what it is. You served , correct? Then you know 99% of military training is head games and this is part of that. believing that that uniform represents all those before you makes the average soldier a better soldier.

Even more so in an elite academy like West Point.

Let me ask you a question. Would you want someone running around committing crimes in a uniform that represents the unit you served in? The answer is of course not, because that uniform represents YOUR service. That's just the way it is.

You cannot blow off that sense of history and honor, it's a key part of keeping our boys mentally together under fire. To know that everyone there with them has the same dedication and respect for the uniform and their duty, is reassuring that they have your back, they'll cover you, they'll bring your body home to your family. These things are important when it /really/ matters and should not be taken lightly.

To those not thinking this is a big deal - it is not about the person IN the uniform...it is about the uniform ON the person.
There are 400,000 war dead in Arlington Cemetery buried in those uniforms, along with millions overall.
When you put that uniform on you are not only representing the U.S. military - yuo are representing every single person who died in it. And THAT is a big deal.

What a drama queen

What is troubling is I think you really think that. Of course the gravy life you have had, and will have for the rest of it - is because you live in a country whose security is guaranteed by the very thing you consider so casually.

Youre repeating military propaganda. Those people are dead. What this is about is training and lack of discipline.

True, but his point is correct. The military uniform is not just another uniform. Disrespecting it IS disrespecting those who came before you, you know that.
I think that is just so much propaganda. The mental technique is well known. You may not respect authority but most people have a natural respect for dead heroes. Its just a technique used to maintain compliance.

Of course that is what it is. You served , correct? Then you know 99% of military training is head games and this is part of that. believing that that uniform represents all those before you makes the average soldier a better soldier.

Let me ask you a question. Would you want someone running around committing crimes in a uniform that represents the unit you served in? The answer is of course not, because that uniform represents YOUR service. That's just the way it is.
Thats a very enlightening post. That reveals your way of thinking and is something I will need to look into further. I dont care what someone does that is running around with a uniform on like mine just as I dont feel a Black person that commits crime represents MY "service".

Thats a very enlightening post. That reveals your way of thinking and is something I will need to look into further. I dont care what someone does that is running around with a uniform on like mine just as I dont feel a Black person that commits crime represents MY "service".

A military uniform is different than skin color, or race, in several regards this one included.

Again, I don't know what unit you served in, and it really doesn't matter, each unit in the military has a code that those who have been in follow and that those who later join are expected to follow , that's how the military functions. That in fact is the ENTIRE purpose of basic training, to remake a person into what the military expects of its soldiers.

No one who has served wouldn't get that point.

This particular incident was egregious in that West Point graduates expect a higher standard from their brothers and sisters. Not because of what anyone outside their ranks believes.

What a drama queen

What is troubling is I think you really think that. Of course the gravy life you have had, and will have for the rest of it - is because you live in a country whose security is guaranteed by the very thing you consider so casually.

This is an insult to all who have worn a uniform and died for their country

Abu-Ghraib.jpg

Checking your cell phone while in formation is a minor infraction

What a drama queen

Abu-Ghraib.jpg

Once upon a time Drill Sargent Edwards caught me chewing gun while marching. A minor infraction , yes? Yeah that cost me 5.000 push ups. There is no such thing as a minor infraction in the Army. And that goes DOUBLE for Academy graduates.

By the way, the picture you showed? That isn't an infraction of military rules, that is a violation of laws.

What a drama queen

Abu-Ghraib.jpg

Once upon a time Drill Sargent Edwards caught me chewing gun while marching. A minor infraction , yes? Yeah that cost me 5.000 push ups. There is no such thing as a minor infraction in the Army. And that goes DOUBLE for Academy graduates.

By the way, the picture you showed? That isn't an infraction of military rules, that is a violation of laws.

Did Drill Sergeant Edwards elevate your infraction to disgracing 400,00 war dead in Arlington Cemetery? That would have made him a drama queen. It was an infraction and treated as such

USMA cadets have infractions all the time. Most result in loss of privileges or walking the perimeter

Checking a cell phone is an infraction....hardly worth a thread on USMB

What a drama queen

Abu-Ghraib.jpg

Did Drill Sergeant Edwards elevate your infraction to disgracing 400,00 war dead in Arlington Cemetery? That would have made him a drama queen. It was an infraction and treated as such

USMA cadets have infractions all the time. Most result in loss of privileges or walking the perimeter

You have not a clue as to what you are talking about in this matter. I mean litereally no one gives a fuck about your opinion in regards to what is and what is not a big deal for West Point cadets to be doing.

As for what is worthy of a thread on USMB. Who gives a fuck? Every other thread I read on here, whether by liberals, or conservatives. I'm like "what the fuck, why is this news, who gives a flying fuck?" You know what I do in those cases? I don't post "this isn't worthy of being on USMB" like a whiny stupid liberal who can't control themselves, nope I click on the button that gets me out of the thread. You should try that sometime.

What a drama queen

Abu-Ghraib.jpg

You have not a clue as to what you are talking about in this matter. I mean litereally no one gives a fuck about your opinion in regards to what is and what is not a big deal for West Point cadets to be doing.

As for what is worthy of a thread on USMB. Who gives a fuck? Every other thread I read on here, whether by liberals, or conservatives. I'm like "what the fuck, why is this news, who gives a flying fuck?" You know what I do in those cases? I don't post "this isn't worthy of being on USMB" like a whiny stupid liberal who can't control themselves, nope I click on the button that gets me out of the thread. You should try that sometime.
Tissue?

Just putting the infraction in perspective. She broke the rules and deserves a reprimand. It is hardly the worst thing a West Pont Cadet has ever done.

Do we need a tear jerking thread every time a cadet breaks a rule?
OMG a cadet was found talking while in formation...the end of military discipline as we know it

Abu-Ghraib.jpg

Tissue?

Just putting the infraction in perspective. She broke the rules and deserves a reprimand. It is hardly the worst thing a West Pont Cadet has ever done.

Do we need a tear jerking thread every time a cadet breaks a rule?
OMG a cadet was found talking while in formation...the end of military discipline as we know it

Sixteen of them texted in formation...all women. None received any reprimand, says so right there in the article.

As to your picture, damn straight that was a disgrace, and they paid dearly for it. We know most of those photos were staged, which does not remove the fact it was a deplorable thing to do - but it keeping that in perspective also.

A military uniform is different than skin color, or race, in several regards this one included.

Again, I don't know what unit you served in, and it really doesn't matter, each unit in the military has a code that those who have been in follow and that those who later join are expected to follow , that's how the military functions. That in fact is the ENTIRE purpose of basic training, to remake a person into what the military expects of its soldiers.

This particular incident was egregious in that West Point graduates expect a higher standard from their brothers and sisters. Not because of what anyone outside their ranks believes.

Actually the only difference is that i can take off the uniform. They both serve the same purpose for identification of a particular group.

I know all the reasons behind the training and the mind games. Just because it functions like that doesnt mean I have to believe all the bullshit.

It's disrespectful. A dishonor to West Points standards of excellence. Deeper, there is a disappointing question; how can we trust this gal? She can't even put her phone down to represent her school, much less our nation...
I agree that it doesn't make her look good, but sadly there are these things in life called emergencies and sometimes they are why people turn to their phones.

God bless you and her always!!!

Holly

It's disrespectful. A dishonor to West Points standards of excellence. Deeper, there is a disappointing question; how can we trust this gal? She can't even put her phone down to represent her school, much less our nation...
I agree that it doesn't make her look good, but sadly there are these things in life called emergencies and sometimes they are why people turn to their phones.

Holly

Emergency = Father (or Mother) is in the audiance and has a heart attack. The Staff would send a responsible cadet or NCO to the formation to notify the cadet and take them to the hospital.

Non-emergency = updating facebook page.

>>>>

>

With that said, I'm not convinced this isn't someone trying to make a moutain out of a molehill.

When I reviewed the video I saw multiple instances of: (a) cadets being out of step, (b) some not wearing gloves, and (c) carrying something in their hands.

If this had been a true marching parade formation, none of that would have been allowed.

The impression I got was more of the cadets being move form one staging area to another in preparation for the ceremony.

But I can see a new addition to the graduation policy instructions for next year in that cadets are not allowed to carry a cell phone or other electronic device from initial muster until released after the ceremony concludes.

>>>>

Holly

Emergency = Father (or Mother) is in the audiance and has a heart attack. The Staff would send a responsible cadet or NCO to the formation to notify the cadet and take them to the hospital.

Non-emergency = updating facebook page.

>>>>
People can also have little kids who have to be baby sat for while the parents are not home.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

People can also have little kids who have to be baby sat for while the parents are not home.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

So? You can't be a responsible for a child and attend.

Part of the admission requirements to attend the United States Military Academy (West Point) is that you have to be single, not pregnant, and not legally responsible (i.e. the custodial parent or a parent paying child support) for any children.

Like I said though, after watching the video they did not appear to be in a parade formation, the group was simply being moved from one place to another (my opinion) and so there wasn't likely an issue. But I can see if this gets some media attention then in future years cadets will not be allowed to carry cell phones when mustering in for a parade event.

http://www.usma.edu/admissions/Shared Documents/wp_admissions-catalog_2013-14.pdf

>>>>

Holly

The military doesn't give a fuck about your emergencies. I guarantee you that.

This is seriously an issue where people who haven't served should simply say "I defer to those who have served and who are serving"

Holly

This is seriously an issue where people who haven't served should simply say "I defer to those who have served and who are serving"
Why should they say that? Do you think they cant look at the infraction and come to the same conclusion i did even after i served?

Holly

Why should they say that? Do you think they cant look at the infraction and come to the same conclusion i did even after i served?

After reading your views on what a military uniform represents, it's quite clear that you never served

Your dishonesty would also tend to lead me to that conclusion, but they let all sorts of dipshits in nowadays, so that is no longer conclusive.

Forum List

Back