What are people thinking as they hear the Senate arguments?

I just listened to the Senate Trial Presentations and have a few thoughts. Others will disagree, even violently. Listen to my thoughts, and then I’ll listen to yours...

The “House Managers” just refuted what I thought were preposterous Republican arguments that the Constitution won’t even allow for a trial of impeached ex-president Trump. I come away more than ever impressed with the Constitutional importance of what is now at stake.

This is not a ridiculous impeachment over lying about sex, or a hearing over the tragedy in Benghazi. This is about taking a stand against an out-of-control lame-duck President who tried to keep himself in office. This trial is about dealing with an attack on our whole democratic electoral system, on the Capitol itself. It is about re-asserting the power of Congress to stand against a mad President.

I personally have sometimes dreamt of seeing the impeachment and conviction of Presidents (of both parties) who lied and led us into murderous and totally unnecessary overseas military adventures. Of course these impeachments never happened. Yet now in D.C., in the heartland of our Republic and “empire,” political marketing and “America First” demagogy has succeeded ... in dividing the minds and hearts of Americans ... rather than Iraqis, Russians or Chinese.

Many of our own obsessions as a nation led to Jan. 6th, and its shadow will lie over our Republic for a long time. I think if this Senate doesn’t make an example of our most dangerous and outrageous recent demagogue we will be guaranteeing further more serious political mob action and even coup adventures in the future.

This is not a “show trial.” Well, just perhaps it will go down in history as a “show trial” ... if our people and politicians treat it as one. If few Republicans rise to the occasion and do their duty, if Donald Trump is not repudiated in the most severe Constitutional manner possible, then we are “showing” that we treat our great Republic and its institutions as crap.

It’s our Republic ... if we can keep it.
Unfortunately, the die is cast on the vote to convict.

The GQP'ers are putting their political ambitions over the Constitution. Not exactly a shock.

it says in the constitution that impeachment is to be considered as an action to remove a sitting president AND prevent them from further office. The second clause is dependant on the first.

It doesn't say OR prevent a person from further office.

This is all a fraudulent dog and pony show, as impeachment was never meant to be an action taken against a private citizen

It seems a crime which has occurred during the time The President was in office, and s/he takes property from the White House, including documents marked "secret"; and keeps said documents when s/he leaves the office, shall that former President not be prosecuted for a high crimes and misdemeanors when that document has been sold to a foreign nation's agent.

BTW, as to what I am taking away from today's Senate Hearing, the Defense was a little more than two logical fallacies: Appeals to Emotion and Appeals to a Slippery Slope.
What SEEMS to you as filtered through your hatred of the man is inconsequential What IS as determined in our constitution is what matters.

Our contitution is written to try to PREVENT authoritarian extremists from just making it up as they go.

I just listened to the Senate Trial Presentations and have a few thoughts. Others will disagree, even violently. Listen to my thoughts, and then I’ll listen to yours...

The “House Managers” just refuted what I thought were preposterous Republican arguments that the Constitution won’t even allow for a trial of impeached ex-president Trump. I come away more than ever impressed with the Constitutional importance of what is now at stake.

This is not a ridiculous impeachment over lying about sex, or a hearing over the tragedy in Benghazi. This is about taking a stand against an out-of-control lame-duck President who tried to keep himself in office. This trial is about dealing with an attack on our whole democratic electoral system, on the Capitol itself. It is about re-asserting the power of Congress to stand against a mad President.

I personally have sometimes dreamt of seeing the impeachment and conviction of Presidents (of both parties) who lied and led us into murderous and totally unnecessary overseas military adventures. Of course these impeachments never happened. Yet now in D.C., in the heartland of our Republic and “empire,” political marketing and “America First” demagogy has succeeded ... in dividing the minds and hearts of Americans ... rather than Iraqis, Russians or Chinese.

Many of our own obsessions as a nation led to Jan. 6th, and its shadow will lie over our Republic for a long time. I think if this Senate doesn’t make an example of our most dangerous and outrageous recent demagogue we will be guaranteeing further more serious political mob action and even coup adventures in the future.

This is not a “show trial.” Well, just perhaps it will go down in history as a “show trial” ... if our people and politicians treat it as one. If few Republicans rise to the occasion and do their duty, if Donald Trump is not repudiated in the most severe Constitutional manner possible, then we are “showing” that we treat our great Republic and its institutions as crap.

Wow, look who showed up on the site ,A.O.C. .WELCOME aboard. You'll fit right in with the rest of the lefty drama queens !

So far crocodile tears about how scared they were and they just knew that they were going to be killed by the protestors-------------

Corrupt politicians giving fake tears and offering no actual evidence against trump in this farce of a trial...but yet watch the dems trolls try to continue the spin.

Where's the beef? Already tired of the empty manipulation.

it says in the constitution that impeachment is to be considered as an action to remove a sitting president AND prevent them from further office. The second clause is dependant on the first.

It doesn't say OR prevent a person from further office.

This is all a fraudulent dog and pony show, as impeachment was never meant to be an action taken against a private citizen

It seems a crime which has occurred during the time The President was in office, and s/he takes property from the White House, including documents marked "secret"; and keeps said documents when s/he leaves the office, shall that former President not be prosecuted for a high crimes and misdemeanors when that document has been sold to a foreign nation's agent.

BTW, as to what I am taking away from today's Senate Hearing, the Defense was a little more than two logical fallacies: Appeals to Emotion and Appeals to a Slippery Slope.
Suckin on that hemp rope again???

What time will Republicans in the Senate vote to acquit...

I am thinking about 5 minutes after closing arguments are made

Depends on what time donors have buffets and open bars going......

Democrats do absolutely nothing for the American people. They spend all of their time selling influence,funding family members through government contacts and whining on CNN and MSNBC for PR.

If you consider what Trump said as calling for an insurrection, maybe you'll be the first lib to call for the removal of these insurrectionists.
Dem Threats.jpg
democrat insurrectionists.jpg

The fact that this entire forum is very quiet shows that the Trumpers have zero case.
Move on moron. The quiet is because we know that the dems have no case--just like last time. We know this is an exercise in futility. It will end with a 56-44 vote to convict, at worst, which does not meet the threshold to convict. Get over it.

This is partisan political theater the Democrats will break out and play their greatest hits talking points so will the Republicans and then the Senate will vote to acquit. This was and is about politics nothing more the honest people on both sides know this. The trial is simply entertainment for the partisans.
ANOTHER tremendous waste of time and money. Democrat MO. Look over here while we fuck you over there.

I found Jamie Raskin compelling, and the video horrifying...and I can't get it out of my mind.

This is not a ridiculous impeachment over lying about sex,

Bill Clinton was impeached for the crimes of perjury and obstruction of justice. That you pretend that is ridiculous, is you revealing you are not a serious or honest person.
Why was he testifying under oath?

Because of an accusation of sexual harassment.
Monica Lewinsky didn't accuse him of sexual harassment.

Bill Clinton was impeached for the crimes of perjury and obstruction of justice. That you pretend that is ridiculous, is you revealing you are not a serious or honest person.

Correct. She did not.

This is partisan political theater the Democrats will break out and play their greatest hits talking points so will the Republicans and then the Senate will vote to acquit. This was and is about politics nothing more the honest people on both sides know this. The trial is simply entertainment for the partisans.

Is it any wonder that dems would have lost a fair 2020 election by well over 10,000,000 votes?
Instead, they won a fair election by 8 million votes in a huge landslide.

Correct. She did not.
They were the only 2 principles. No one else was in the Oval with them.

Forum List

Back