🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

What are the chances that a Tax Reform bill will become law?

Republicans seem to be operating on arbitrary deadlines

Need a healthcare plan in three weeks? No problem
Need a comprehensive tax overhaul by Thanksgiving? Here you go

Problem is the legislation is not vetted through members of either party. It is not sold to the public beforehand. There is no CBO scoring

Then when the legislation fails they shoot the messenger
The deadlines are self-imposed to avoid as much critique as possible, but it seems obvious that we're talking about a bill that will blow up the deficit 3-5 trillion, and leave our kids with the debt so the top 1%, and to a lesser extent the next 9%, get the cash. Will they get 50 votes? I don't know. Probably Rand Paul and Corker are nays.

Paul and Corker are probably nays
Is there another Republican who will balk at $1.5 trillion debt?
Hopefully McCain and Collins at least. Hatch gave up his manhood years ago, but I have to wonder why he doesn't try to salvage something of what was a legacy of honest service.

I think the GOP as forgotten how to legislate
The process involves careful planning and compromise, something no longer in the GOP toolbox

In order to pass tax reform you need to appease both those wanting taxes slashed to the bone and those who want it to be deficit neutral

The GOP Obamacare reform bills were heavily compromised. But, the GOP couldn't pass them because Democrats wouldn't compromise one bit. The party who wants the status quo is under no pressure to compromise.

Another reason the GOP has trouble passing bills is that GOP bills tend to be anti-middle class. The GOP health bill did nothing to make medical care more affordable to the middle-class. This GOP tax reform bill is basically just a tax cut for the rich, which means the middle-class will have to pick up the slack.

As usual, GOP legislation does nothing for the middle class
They claim there will be a tax cut but then take away middle class deductions like State and local taxes

The tax bill blatantly adds to the deficit, something Republicans swore they would never do

It is a brilliant concept, you have to admit. I pay taxes on my purchase, like a new car, , and now, the GOP want to tax my paid taxes again! Somehow, this does not seem to bother the GOP....
But there should be no estate tax because some rich dead guy paid taxes before leaving it to his rich kids!

But there should be no estate tax because some rich dead guy paid taxes before leaving it to his rich kids!

No, the rich guy didn't pay the taxes. Maybe someone should start a topic of who's more f1cking stupid, Republicans or Democrats? Which side are you dragging down?

No, the rich guy didn't pay the taxes. Maybe someone should start a topic of who's more f1cking stupid, Republicans or Democrats? Which side are you dragging down?
Oh this one is on the gop. And I suspect McCain will vote to saddle the kids with another 5 trillon to get an uptick on defense spending.

Under normal circumstances, the Republicans should have no problem passing tax reform. They did it twice under Bush

But with a President with no leadership capabilities and an inability to compromise even with fellow Republicans...it appears doubtful

Forum List

Back