What are the top 5 most conservative and liberal cities in the US

New Orleans -- conservative? :rofl:

Not hardly. It's not modern, but it's also not "conservative".

Salt Lake, maybe. Definitely the worst coffee on earth, which I'm convinced has something to do with the water, though that's off the topic. Unless of course we wanna start a meme that conservative coffee sucks.

Cincinnati, certainly Columbus (OH) is a hair away from an outright police state. Anaheim.... OrlanDisney... you know, places nobody would ever want to go.
New Orleans voted for Bobby Jindal

Everybody in Louisiana voted for Jindal after Nagin fucked up and stole the GD city with the help of FORMER Sen. Mary Landrieu. BTW Nagin is currently serving his prison sentence.

Jindal is a governor --- that's STATE level.
Nagin was a mayor -- CITY level.
Landrieu was a Senator -- FEDERAL level.
Other than those gaffes your post would make sense. If there was anything left.

Damn right Nagin's in the clink. Where he belongs.

My list:

Top 5 most CONSERVATIVE:

1. New Orleans
2. Saint Louis
3. Houston
4. Salt Lake City
5. Memphis

Top 5 most LIBERAL:

1. San Francisco
2.Berkeley
3.New York City
4. Honolulu
5.Portland

Not surprisingly, the top 5 most conservative are also some of the most crime ridden cities in America, while the top 5 most liberal are some of the safest
New Orleans and Memphis are on my list of Most Decadent Citie in America. For Conservative cities, I might suggest:

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Fort Worth, Texas
Montgomery, Alabama
Charleston, South Carolina and
Phoenix, Arizona

Liberal cities would include:

Boston, Massachusetts
New York City (particuarly the island of Manhattan)
Portland, Oregon
San Francisco, California and
Ann Arbor, Michigan

Not sure how we are to define "liberal" but I take it to mean "hip" from the listing trends... that being the case I'd put in a word for Denver. How can you not love a place that runs free buses and puts a string of pianos on the street for anyone who wants to play? :eusa_dance:

Salt Lake, maybe. Definitely the worst coffee on earth, which I'm convinced has something to do with the water, though that's off the topic. Unless of course we wanna start a meme that conservative coffee sucks.

Cincinnati, certainly Columbus (OH) is a hair away from an outright police state. Anaheim.... OrlanDisney... you know, places nobody would ever want to go.

Too salty? :biggrin:

Too salty? :biggrin:

Criminy, I don't know what was, all I know is no matter where I went in SLC I could not find a drinkable java. Ironically there were a gazillion bookstores, but the coffee-sucking was so universal from so many sources that I concluded it's gotta be the water.

Wasn't salty -- I have a clue what that tastes like. Was in a hostel somewhere in Europe... late at night, wandered into the kitchen, and there was this cute Dutch girl, nobody else around. So I says to myself, "self, it's a good time to make a cup of tea and have a reason to hang in the kitchen". I proceeded to do so trying to make time with Dutch girl, not noticing that the white powder I stirred into my tea was not sugar, but salt. Until it was too late. After that I had to continue talking to her sipping --- salty tea. And pretending it wasn't.

I can't recommend it. Go with honey. Or lemon.

My list:

Top 5 most CONSERVATIVE:

1. New Orleans
2. Saint Louis
3. Houston
4. Salt Lake City
5. Memphis

Top 5 most LIBERAL:

1. San Francisco
2.Berkeley
3.New York City
4. Honolulu
5.Portland

Not surprisingly, the top 5 most conservative are also some of the most crime ridden cities in America, while the top 5 most liberal are some of the safest
While Salt Lake City is probably the most Conservative city on your list, according to Wikipedia,
"The city's political demographics are liberal and Democratic. This stands in stark contrast to the majority of Utah where conservative and Republican views generally dominate."

Houston, Tx, while in a Conservative state is home to 400,000 illegal immigrants. Wiki says this about their demographics:
According to the 2010 Census, whites made up 51% of Houston's population; 26% of the total population were non-Hispanic whites. Blacks or African Americans made up 25% of Houston's population. American Indians made up 0.7% of the population. Asians made up 6% (1.7% Vietnamese, 1.3% Chinese, 1.3% Indian, 0.9% Pakistani, 0.4% Filipino, 0.3% Korean, 0.1% Japanese), while Pacific Islanders made up 0.1%. Individuals from some other race made up 15.2% of the city's population, of which 0.2% were non-Hispanic. Individuals from two or more races made up 3.3% of the city. People of Hispanic origin, regardless of race, made up 44% of Houston's population.

The current mayor of Houston is Annise Parker, a Democrat.

Fail again. OK who are you really?
Banned
Shame. He didn't get to add those butt munchers in Austin to the list. Maybe he will do it under his Paintmyhouse ID.

My list:

Top 5 most CONSERVATIVE:

1. New Orleans
2. Saint Louis
3. Houston
4. Salt Lake City
5. Memphis

Top 5 most LIBERAL:

1. San Francisco
2.Berkeley
3.New York City
4. Honolulu
5.Portland

New Orleans and Memphis are on my list of Most Decadent Citie in America. For Conservative cities, I might suggest:

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Fort Worth, Texas
Montgomery, Alabama
Phoenix, Arizona

Boston, Massachusetts
Portland, Oregon
Ann Arbor, Michigan

Q. What University do you - the reader - think of when you read the names of each city in both lists.

My list:

Top 5 most CONSERVATIVE:

1. New Orleans
2. Saint Louis
3. Houston
4. Salt Lake City
5. Memphis

Top 5 most LIBERAL:

1. San Francisco
2.Berkeley
3.New York City
4. Honolulu
5.Portland

I've been to every city on both lists with the exception of Honolulu and Memphis, and I've never had a sense that one was more conservative or liberal than another. Of course I measure a city by its cleanliness, quality of restaurants, ease of movement and water. NYC has the best tasting water and Reno, Nv the worst.

My only negative experience happened in Arlington, VA. My oldest son and I took my youngest, who was 15 at the time, to Wash. D.C., When we parked in a lot to catch the metro into The District this guy about my age, wearing a Navy ball cap was on the same elevator with us and out of blue made a comment about my youngest son wearing his ball cap backwards. He said he must have his head on ass backwards.

I looked down on him and locked eyes my eyes with my most menacing look and said, "that's enough, Admiral, I don't won't to embarrass my self in front of my kids". He about shit his pants.

I don't know if it has changed, but Arlington's restaurant patrons all seemed to smoke. Ironically, my wife and I had a great time in Southern Virginia, friendly people, good food and clean cities and towns. We visited the Double A home of the Giants in Richmond in the off season and nothing was open, but a custodian saw us and we told him we wanted to get Flying Squirrels shirts; he let us into the stadium and took us to their retail store which was doing inventory. After we purchased some sweat shirts the custodian took us down to the field and showed us the locker rooms and dugouts.

The long and the short of it is this, people are generally friendly and helpful all around our great country, when outside of the bubble of politics and religion, The same Southern Hospitality we experienced can be said for Charleston, Savannah and San Antonio.

My list:

Top 5 most CONSERVATIVE:

1. New Orleans
2. Saint Louis
3. Houston
4. Salt Lake City
5. Memphis

1. San Francisco
2.Berkeley
3.New York City
4. Honolulu
5.Portland

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Fort Worth, Texas
Montgomery, Alabama
Phoenix, Arizona

Boston, Massachusetts
Portland, Oregon
Ann Arbor, Michigan

Q. What University do you - the reader - think of when you read the names of each city in both lists.

1. New Orleans -- Tulane, Loyola, UNO, Delgado
2. Saint Louis -- none
3. Houston -- Rice
4. Salt Lake City -- none
5. Memphis --- none

1. San Francisco - none
2.Berkeley -- UCB
3.New York City -- ... Columbia, Fordham, NYU, SUNY...
4. Honolulu -- none
5.Portland -- none

Tulsa, Oklahoma --- none
Fort Worth, Texas -- none
Montgomery, Alabama --- none
Charleston, South Carolina --- none
Phoenix, Arizona --- none

Boston, Massachusetts ---- Harvard, UMB, BC, BU, Tufts, Emerson, Berklee
Ann Arbor, Michigan --- UMich

:dunno:

I seriously considered Boston when I was planning a move once upon a time, for its richness and depth of culture reflected by all those schools. Ultimately I decided against Boston for being too condensed, shoving too many people into too small a space, and ended up in New Orleans instead, for better or worse taking the culturally historical over the culturally intellectual.

Last edited:
My list:

Top 5 most CONSERVATIVE:

1. New Orleans
2. Saint Louis
3. Houston
4. Salt Lake City
5. Memphis

1. San Francisco
2.Berkeley
3.New York City
4. Honolulu
5.Portland

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Fort Worth, Texas
Montgomery, Alabama
Phoenix, Arizona

Boston, Massachusetts
Portland, Oregon
Ann Arbor, Michigan

2. Saint Louis -- none
3. Houston -- Rice
5. Memphis --- none

1. San Francisco - none
2.Berkeley -- UCB
4. Honolulu -- none
5.Portland -- none

Tulsa, Oklahoma --- none

I seriously considered Boston when I was planning a move once upon a time, for its richness and depth of culture reflected by all those schools. Ultimately I decided against Boston for being too condensed, shoving too many people into too small a space, and ended up in New Orleans instead, for better or worse taking the culturally historical over the culturally intellectual.

I'm shocked. The University of California in The City IS UCSF, a major world renown medical and dental school and UC Hastings College of Law; The University of San Francisco is a Jesuit school and known for it school of law and it's two time NCAA Championships in 1955 & 1956, and San Francisco State University attended by 30,000 students.

My list:

Top 5 most CONSERVATIVE:

1. New Orleans
2. Saint Louis
3. Houston
4. Salt Lake City
5. Memphis

1. San Francisco
2.Berkeley
3.New York City
4. Honolulu
5.Portland

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Fort Worth, Texas
Montgomery, Alabama
Phoenix, Arizona

Boston, Massachusetts
Portland, Oregon
Ann Arbor, Michigan

2. Saint Louis -- none
3. Houston -- Rice
5. Memphis --- none

1. San Francisco - none
2.Berkeley -- UCB
4. Honolulu -- none
5.Portland -- none

Tulsa, Oklahoma --- none

I'm shocked. The University of California in The City IS UCSF, a major world renown medical and dental school and UC Hastings College of Law; The University of San Francisco is a Jesuit school and known for it school of law and it's two time NCAA Championships in 1955 & 1956, and San Francisco State University attended by 30,000 students.

I'm sure it is. My experience with San Francisco is limited, and I never went to college. Always enjoyed SF on visits but way too expensive to live there.

My list:

Top 5 most CONSERVATIVE:

1. New Orleans
2. Saint Louis
3. Houston
4. Salt Lake City
5. Memphis

1. San Francisco
2.Berkeley
3.New York City
4. Honolulu
5.Portland

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Fort Worth, Texas
Montgomery, Alabama
Phoenix, Arizona

Boston, Massachusetts
Portland, Oregon
Ann Arbor, Michigan

2. Saint Louis -- none
3. Houston -- Rice
5. Memphis --- none

1. San Francisco - none
2.Berkeley -- UCB
4. Honolulu -- none
5.Portland -- none

Tulsa, Oklahoma --- none

I'm sure it is. My experience with San Francisco is limited, and I never went to college. Always enjoyed SF on visits but way too expensive to live there.

Next time you visit check out the Mission Bay and Dog Patch neighborhoods.
South Beach begins at the foot of Market St at the Ferry Bld. and Mission Bay begins at AT&T. Going further south you'll run into massive development which includes a campus of UCSF, a new hospital and centers doing research on AIDS, Stem Cells and treatments for spine injury.

It's amazing how how a skid row, once filmed in the opening scene of the original Dirty Harry movie (the hit in the old hotel room) has been transformed.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Fort Worth, Texas
Montgomery, Alabama
Phoenix, Arizona

Boston, Massachusetts
Portland, Oregon
Ann Arbor, Michigan

2. Saint Louis -- none
3. Houston -- Rice
5. Memphis --- none

1. San Francisco - none
2.Berkeley -- UCB
4. Honolulu -- none
5.Portland -- none

Tulsa, Oklahoma --- none

Next time you visit check out the Mission Bay and Dog Patch neighborhoods.
South Beach begins at the foot of Market St at the Ferry Bld. and Mission Bay begins at AT&T. Going further south you'll run into massive development which includes a campus of UCSF, a new hospital and centers doing research on AIDS, Stem Cells and treatments for spine injury.

It's amazing how how a skid row, once filmed in the opening scene of the original Dirty Harry movie (the hit in the old hotel room) has been transformed.

Thanks, but I just don't have a reason to do that unless I need specialized med treatment for those. And I'm afraid I don't do movies so I don't even know that reference. :(

What I would definitely go check out though, would be the Wave Organ. Far as I know there's only three in the world and the other two are in Europe.

Forum List

Back