What did our founders really mean when they said “general welfare”?

If you voted for Trump there’s a good chance you’re a lot like me with regard to why....I voted for him on two policies almost exclusively...First and foremost on how he would deal with illegal Mexicans and the border and second on how he would yank lowlifes off the Democrat induced welfare plantation.
Anyhoo, as we approach the point where welfare reform will be visited I ask for your opinions on EXACTLY what you think our founders meant when they used the phrase “GENERAL WELFARE” in the constitution?

Attention all Smartest Guys In The Room, and legal scholars:
Please spare us the case citations such as the U.S. vs Butler case and the like. I’m interested in YOUR opinions.

Great question!

I think it refers to the population in general, so not individual entitlement programs, but rather the facilitation of infrastructure, protection of natural resources (air quality, water resources, etc). Perhaps to provide aide to areas and populations within our borders when disasters strike.
general means comprehensive, in this context. not every Thing can be a "national security issue".
give your definition of comprehensive.
general. a general must be more Comprehensive than a Colonel.

lol. there is no power to provide for the general badfare only the general welfare; the right wing, Never gets it.
well we know you have no idea what you're talking about, you have pigs walking around and you're talken to em.
the pigs don't get it.
neither do we. general is not individual.
general is Comprehensive in this context.
general, not limited or common.

The Democrats take our money to feed the poor. They are pretty straightforward about it.

The Republicans are far sneakier. They interfere in the markets to make things costlier, and raise your tax rates in order to take your money and give it to rich people.

The Rube Herd is too clueless and innumerate to understand how the Republican method of robbery works.

They dont feed jack. They keep them in perpetual poverty. Its beyond vile.
Highest State taxes in the country........Liberal utopia California........everything costs more there........and then they go..............WHY ARE PEOPLE LIVING IN TENTS.......

Brain damage.
A fifteen dollar an hour minimum wage is a cost of living adjustment for Labor.
Your never ending story........Dems in California...........hmmmm how to explain it.

Get the same arsonist that burns down your home to come back to you and try and help you rebuild your home....makes so much sense............
fallacy of false cause; the right wing never gets it. higher paid labor pays more in local taxes and payroll taxes and create more in demand.
How about letting them keep more of their own money instead.....derp

The Democrats take our money to feed the poor. They are pretty straightforward about it.

The Republicans are far sneakier. They interfere in the markets to make things costlier, and raise your tax rates in order to take your money and give it to rich people.

The Rube Herd is too clueless and innumerate to understand how the Republican method of robbery works.

Highest State taxes in the country........Liberal utopia California........everything costs more there........and then they go..............WHY ARE PEOPLE LIVING IN TENTS.......

Brain damage.
Your never ending story........Dems in California...........hmmmm how to explain it.

Get the same arsonist that burns down your home to come back to you and try and help you rebuild your home....makes so much sense............
fallacy of false cause; the right wing never gets it. higher paid labor pays more in local taxes and payroll taxes and create more in demand.
sure we understand that concept. It's why we asked corporations to repatriate their money to give raises to their employees. Even bonuses. It worked, that happened. did you miss that?

It was called a tax cut.

The genius of COTUS is in ambiguity, which allows the reader to understand the text in terms of their time in history, not the end of the 18th Century when written.
That's the problem. You see ambiguity when there is none.

The Constitution was designed to be static and immovable EXCEPT by amendment. YOU don't like the amendment process because you can't get your bullshit commie agenda implemented.

Anyone who says that the constitution can be changed by a mere change in interpretation is an enemy to the United States and should be treated as such, but it will not happen.

For this and other reasons, I do not want to share a country with the likes of you. I want Texas Independence.

Have you taken ConLaw?

Have you noticed how Supreme Court rulings are not always 9-0, and when not 9-0 there are commonly dissents and concurrences with the majority.

Do you wonder why?

As to your hostility to me, it is based on your ignorance and bigotry.

For the record, I've taken ConLaw, I carried a badge for 32 years, I have an honorable discharge from our Navy (projectile man in a 5" gun); I've been married to the same women since 1974, we have two sons, two grandsons and I've coached little league, CYO Basketball and AYSO Soccer in my spare time; I have had dogs and cats, drove a mini van, had a 10 handicap and once bowled a 300 game.

I'm not a commie and in 1967 I met my first Texan, in fact about 1/3 of my company as NTCSD boot camp came from Texas. They were some of the dumbest and most arrogant people I had ever experienced. Their table manners were atrocious and their language skills were comical. You would have fit right in.

There is nothing shameful about working at Walmart or BK or McDonalds.

But in actuality, manufacturing and mining jobs are also picking up.

The Trump Economy is superb, and that's why our Liberal Friends are so anxious to change the topic to the caravan or to the bombs or whatever. If the libs could destroy the economy, Soros wouldn't need to orchestrate a bombing hoax
cognitive dissonance is what the right wing is best at.

tax cut economics are simply unsustainable.

Certainly not sustainable if you don't have a job.
it is natural for capitalism to have a rate of unemployment.
No, however; it is natural for any society to have its share of malcontents and layabouts. The chronic unemployed is not a function of capitalism, but of a permissive society.
Yes, it is. Nobody takes the right wing seriously about economics.
Well, no one takes you seriously, that is a given.

Brain damage.

you don't know what you are talking about; nothing but right wing rhetoric. why not learn economics, instead.

If you voted for Trump there’s a good chance you’re a lot like me with regard to why....I voted for him on two policies almost exclusively...First and foremost on how he would deal with illegal Mexicans and the border and second on how he would yank lowlifes off the Democrat induced welfare plantation.
Anyhoo, as we approach the point where welfare reform will be visited I ask for your opinions on EXACTLY what you think our founders meant when they used the phrase “GENERAL WELFARE” in the constitution?

Please spare us the case citations such as the U.S. vs Butler case and the like. I’m interested in YOUR opinions.

Great question!

I think it refers to the population in general, so not individual entitlement programs, but rather the facilitation of infrastructure, protection of natural resources (air quality, water resources, etc). Perhaps to provide aide to areas and populations within our borders when disasters strike.
general means comprehensive, in this context. not every Thing can be a "national security issue".
no definition eh?

well we know you have no idea what you're talking about, you have pigs walking around and you're talken to em.
the pigs don't get it.
neither do we. general is not individual.
general is Comprehensive in this context.
general, not limited or common.
exactly, and why there was a tax cut. and guess what happened? employees made more money, paid more local taxes and federal taxes.

Brain damage.

sure we understand that concept. It's why we asked corporations to repatriate their money to give raises to their employees. Even bonuses. It worked, that happened. did you miss that?

It was called a tax cut.
i understand our First World economy is not, inexpensive. everything costs under capitalism. we should not subsidize capitalists with cheap labor in our First World economy.

cognitive dissonance is what the right wing is best at.

tax cut economics are simply unsustainable.

No, however; it is natural for any society to have its share of malcontents and layabouts. The chronic unemployed is not a function of capitalism, but of a permissive society.
the right wing doesn't. they are full of fallacy.

Brain damage.

you don't know what you are talking about; nothing but right wing rhetoric. why not learn economics, instead.
tax cut equals more tax revenue all around fed and local. we showed you!!!

Great question!

no definition eh?
General must mean Comprehensive in the Context presented.

Brain damage.

It was called a tax cut.
i understand our First World economy is not, inexpensive. everything costs under capitalism. we should not subsidize capitalists with cheap labor in our First World economy.
and then you go back to pig latin. wow.

lol. only in right wing fantasy; where is chicken little?

tax cuts are not paying for themselves but being Financed. only the Right Wing, Never gets it.

Great question!

no definition eh?
General must mean Comprehensive in the Context presented.
except you haven't given the definition of comprehensive. why?

lol. only in right wing fantasy; where is chicken little?

tax cuts are not paying for themselves but being Financed. only the Right Wing, Never gets it.
he is with the climate/ global warming fks.

The genius of COTUS is in ambiguity, which allows the reader to understand the text in terms of their time in history, not the end of the 18th Century when written.
That's the problem. You see ambiguity when there is none.

The Constitution was designed to be static and immovable EXCEPT by amendment. YOU don't like the amendment process because you can't get your bullshit commie agenda implemented.

Anyone who says that the constitution can be changed by a mere change in interpretation is an enemy to the United States and should be treated as such, but it will not happen.

For this and other reasons, I do not want to share a country with the likes of you. I want Texas Independence.

Have you taken ConLaw?

Have you noticed how Supreme Court rulings are not always 9-0, and when not 9-0 there are commonly dissents and concurrences with the majority.

Do you wonder why?

As to your hostility to me, it is based on your ignorance and bigotry.

For the record, I've taken ConLaw, I carried a badge for 32 years, I have an honorable discharge from our Navy (projectile man in a 5" gun); I've been married to the same women since 1974, we have two sons, two grandsons and I've coached little league, CYO Basketball and AYSO Soccer in my spare time; I have had dogs and cats, drove a mini van, had a 10 handicap and once bowled a 300 game.

I'm not a commie and in 1967 I met my first Texan, in fact about 1/3 of my company as NTCSD boot camp came from Texas. They were some of the dumbest and most arrogant people I had ever experienced. Their table manners were atrocious and their language skills were comical. You would have fit right in.

Your posts suggest you are a radical leftist.

pig latin 101

If the founders meant "general welfare" was socialized medicine, then they would have had it from day one.

Forum List

Back