What do you grow?

My garden, except for the bell peppers is spent. I got so many tomatoes I was overwhelmed! I froze some, gave many away, ate them like candy and enjoyed them very much. Hope I have the same luck next year.

I am just now getting tomatoes. The late freeze/frost in May killed mine out and I had to re-plant.
Ahhhh life behind the pine curtain.

My garden, except for the bell peppers is spent. I got so many tomatoes I was overwhelmed! I froze some, gave many away, ate them like candy and enjoyed them very much. Hope I have the same luck next year.

I am just now getting tomatoes. The late freeze/frost in May killed mine out and I had to re-plant.
Ahhhh life behind the pine curtain.

That happened to me too, more than once. I get so eager when March rolls around, I can't wait. It seems warm and you think that all chances of a late frost are gone and then "ZAP"! It's frustrating.

This year I decided to wait till April, but I was so antsy to plant.

What do you grow?

I used to grow hair...... well, I still do, just not in the same places as before........

I have 30 plants purple haze and hindu kush in 5 gal buckets painted green out in woods

Purple haze is so beautiful!

purple_haze_by_Bulletssf.jpg

I've been using those for two years now with excellent results. Just make sure you swap out and refertilize the soil, or else it gets stagant/drained. ALSO, make sure you have these plants protected by predator insects. I planted tomatoes in those things this year, but because I didn't grow much if anything near them that attracts bugs that eat tomato pests, they've mostly been chomped and spoiled.

The tomatoes, yellow squash, green peppers, jalapenos, peas, green beans and cabbage were intentionally planted, The onions I planted are suddenly acorn squash and my dad would bury the fruit and vegetable scraps so we also have zucchini and pumpkins. There are a couple of other items coming up I've yet to identify, cantaloupe maybe?
The kale and kohlrabi didn't come up this year.

Just finished canning 30 quarts of tomatoes last night. Nothing better than the sound of lids going 'ping'.

Last edited:
Just finished canning 30 quarts of tomatoes last night. Nothing better than the sound of lids going 'ping'.

Damn it, I'm jealous now. I love canning and pickling, and was hoping to can some heirloom tomatoes. This summer I planted x3 'Black Krim' tomatoes in self-watering bucket tomatoes... yet for some reason—even though the plants grew and the green tomatoes started getting big—the fruits started breaking down and rotting when ripening. Either it's a pest of some sort, or... I dunno. There probably weren't enough predatory insects around to protect them, so it's a wash... :eusa_eh:

Damn it, I'm jealous now. I love canning and pickling, and was hoping to can some heirloom tomatoes. This summer I planted x3 'Black Krim' tomatoes in self-watering bucket tomatoes... yet for some reason—even though the plants grew and the green tomatoes started getting big—the fruits started breaking down and rotting when ripening. Either it's a pest of some sort, or... I dunno. There probably weren't enough predatory insects around to protect them, so it's a wash... :eusa_eh:

Sounds like root rot. The self-watering buckets is what make me think that is what it was.

The first step to preventing tomato root rot is preparing the soil properly. Tomato plants don't like wet feet. Standing water around the tomato plant's root system creates the ideal breeding ground for root-rot fungi. Improve your waterlogged soil's drainage by adding sand or organic matter. Also, keep the pH between 6.0 and 7.0. Root rot loves acidic soils.
Read more: Root Rot in Tomato Plants | eHow

Sounds like root rot. The self-watering buckets is what make me think that is what it was.

The first step to preventing tomato root rot is preparing the soil properly. Tomato plants don't like wet feet. Standing water around the tomato plant's root system creates the ideal breeding ground for root-rot fungi. Improve your waterlogged soil's drainage by adding sand or organic matter. Also, keep the pH between 6.0 and 7.0. Root rot loves acidic soils.
Read more: Root Rot in Tomato Plants | eHow

It was overwatering. And how you water. Tomato plants do not like it when you get them wet. Make sure not to get any on the plants themselves. Learned that one the hard way years ago.

Forum List

Back