What do you grow?

One of the best plants you can grow in your garden is asparagus, 'Mary Washington.'

In two days I dug a trench 16' long, 4' wide, and 3' deep.

Planted about 64 2-year-old crowns over 5" of well-rotted compost and manure.

Covered the little things up slowly and nursed the little critters to full health.

Around two years later, you can snap the nearly 1" thick stalks in half and eat 'em raw straight from the garden

They are so delicious and plentiful, and have a lifespan of 20 years.

Guava, Figs, Pomegranate, Oranges, Lemons. Tomatoes, Oregano, Rosemary, Spearmint.

OK, that's awesome. You must live in a more tropical setting? Growing guavas sounds both exotic and delicious.... mmm... :razz:

I grow rosemary (rosmarinus officinalis) up here in WI, but only in containers that have to brough inside during the cold months.

OK, that's awesome. You must live in a more tropical setting? Growing guavas sounds both exotic and delicious.... mmm... :razz:

I grow rosemary (rosmarinus officinalis) up here in WI, but only in containers that have to brough inside during the cold months.

Yorba Linda, CA - East Orange County. The guavas have a very strong odor in September - not always pleasant. But a guava pomegranate smoothy is really good.

One of the best plants you can grow in your garden is asparagus, 'Mary Washington.'

Covered the little things up slowly and nursed the little critters to full health.

Around two years later, you can snap the nearly 1" thick stalks in half and eat 'em raw straight from the garden

I have an asparagus bed - they are wonderful.

In my new line of work I keep junipers, blue spruce, oak and maple trees as well as a few I know nothing about at all, but I'm learning. I also do panzies and violas. There is also the grass .

I have an asparagus bed - they are wonderful.

we have 3 beds...mary washington and purple passion....i cant remember the 3rd one's name....the mw are over 20 years old and still producing. we were careful when we planted the crowns and didnt over harvest for the first few years. we still let them go to fern earlier than most people...just to make sure the crowns are getting what they need. the purple are huge...they turn green when cooked but are great for salads...that bed is maybe 10 years old or more...the young bed is just 3 years old...we didnt harvest from that bed this year...all that prep work is hard but it makes the difference between a good solid producing bed or just a raggy bunch of ferns

I used to garden more than I do now.

All I have going is an herb garden right now. We have a lot of wild raspberry and blackberry bushes on the property too.

do yall salt your beds? little known fact..salting the asparagus bed is good for it

Hrm....

...that rings a faint bell.

I read once that salt is good for asparagus, because it originally came from the seascoasts of the Mediterranean, where salt spray would seep into the soil. Interesting... I'll look into it. Thank you. ;-)

do yall salt your beds? little known fact..salting the asparagus bed is good for it

That's the first I've heard of that, so I looked it up. There were as many pros as there were cons, so I want to hear from someone that has actually tried it. I don't have that many weeds in my asparagus bed because I weed it regularly, some Texas Bluebonnet seeds must have landed in the bed as I had a few of those spring up - but I moved them to another location.

I have some that are over 10 years old and they produce nice fat ones, some that I planted about 4 years ago and they are still skinny, but I cut them up raw in salads - I can eat those things raw, they are so good - but I like them best grilled after being rubbed with olive oil.

WOW! I'm glad I started this thread and soo sorry I haven't been back! I did check once and no one else had posted on it at that time!

Looks/sounds like we have some great gardeners on here!

A few things that I picked up on that might need some added info....
As for flowers having no value...they most certainly do! They bring in our pollinators that will also pollinate our veggies plants. They bring in the birds who feast on some of the pollinators who are both bad/good and the birdies bring us little presents in their poop...also both bad/good! But when the birds/bats are brought in, it helps keep the mosquito populations down.
Also, veggies are the nectar for the body, flower are the nectar for the soul!

Dandylions & purslane in the SE....I have at least 5 different kinds of dandelions and all but one are very easy to pull root & all! And none of them are like the northern dandelions.
Purslane is a wild weed down here. I have at least 2 different varieties that try to take over every year.

Cone flowers, aka Echinacea, needs light to germinate. So if/when you plant the seeds DO NOT cover, just lightly press them into the soil. As for the poppies that germinated & died...sounds like damping off. Water from below and also having a fan blow on them will strengthen stems as they grow...it will also dry them out so check moisture more often.

We built some raised beds this year. Nothing is doing well in them due to several things....we were late getting them done for my area, we got hot quick, we have had more than double or normal rainfall so far this summer....things were drowning in the beds!
But all 3 of the beds were built with recycled materials...concrete blocks & old boards taken off a long trailer bed, 16' long.

Where I first planted my asparagus bed....they have too much competition from trees in the area. The trees have sent feeder roots WAY OUT beyond their normal range to get into the amended area of the asparagus...so this fall I'll be putting in an new bed! And I have seen asparagus beds as old as 50 yrs. old still going strong. Just feed them yearly and if weeds are a problem....MULCH!

This has been a really strange year for gardening in all aspects in my area...nothing is acting like it normally does. I just hope this is a permanent condition due to climate change!

WOW! I'm glad I started this thread and soo sorry I haven't been back! I did check once and no one else had posted on it at that time!

As for flowers having no value...they most certainly do! They bring in our pollinators that will also pollinate our veggies plants. They bring in the birds who feast on some of the pollinators who are both bad/good and the birdies bring us little presents in their poop...also both bad/good! But when the birds/bats are brought in, it helps keep the mosquito populations down.

Dandylions & purslane in the SE....I have at least 5 different kinds of dandelions and all but one are very easy to pull root & all! And none of them are like the northern dandelions.
Purslane is a wild weed down here. I have at least 2 different varieties that try to take over every year.

Cone flowers, aka Echinacea, needs light to germinate. So if/when you plant the seeds DO NOT cover, just lightly press them into the soil. As for the poppies that germinated & died...sounds like damping off. Water from below and also having a fan blow on them will strengthen stems as they grow...it will also dry them out so check moisture more often.

We built some raised beds this year. Nothing is doing well in them due to several things....we were late getting them done for my area, we got hot quick, we have had more than double or normal rainfall so far this summer....things were drowning in the beds!
But all 3 of the beds were built with recycled materials...concrete blocks & old boards taken off a long trailer bed, 16' long.

Where I first planted my asparagus bed....they have too much competition from trees in the area. The trees have sent feeder roots WAY OUT beyond their normal range to get into the amended area of the asparagus...so this fall I'll be putting in an new bed! And I have seen asparagus beds as old as 50 yrs. old still going strong. Just feed them yearly and if weeds are a problem....MULCH!

This has been a really strange year for gardening in all aspects in my area...nothing is acting like it normally does. I just hope this is a permanent condition due to climate change!

My garden, except for the bell peppers is spent. I got so many tomatoes I was overwhelmed! I froze some, gave many away, ate them like candy and enjoyed them very much. Hope I have the same luck next year.

One of the bee keepers I know plants an acre of native wild flowers for his bees every year.

My garden, except for the bell peppers is spent. I got so many tomatoes I was overwhelmed! I froze some, gave many away, ate them like candy and enjoyed them very much. Hope I have the same luck next year.

???

It's only August? I get tomatoes into November - granted, I'm in the Peoples Republic. But it would seem like the entire country would still have a month or so of good output.

???

It's only August? I get tomatoes into November - granted, I'm in the Peoples Republic. But it would seem like the entire country would still have a month or so of good output.

Since there are so many places called Peoples Republic, I have no idea where you really are.

I live in South Texas, we've had temperatures in the three digits all of July and now in August, and since I started getting tomatoes in early June, I consider it a success. Went on vacation for a week, and decided not to irrigate (slow drip) because I was tired of picking dozens of tomatoes each day, and really wanted the plants to expire. I don't have room in my freezer for any more tomatoes, I'm sick of picking okra and green beans, and mostly let the plants expire because I needed a rest.

I'm glad you are still getting tomatoes - I'm still getting some (die-hards) but they are little and a little tough. I'm still watering my bell peppers because they are still producing and they were so gallant as to survive a week without watering!

Since there are so many places called Peoples Republic, I have no idea where you really are.

I live in South Texas, we've had temperatures in the three digits all of July and now in August, and since I started getting tomatoes in early June, I consider it a success. Went on vacation for a week, and decided not to irrigate (slow drip) because I was tired of picking dozens of tomatoes each day, and really wanted the plants to expire. I don't have room in my freezer for any more tomatoes, I'm sick of picking okra and green beans, and mostly let the plants expire because I needed a rest.

I'm glad you are still getting tomatoes - I'm still getting some (die-hards) but they are little and a little tough. I'm still watering my bell peppers because they are still producing and they were so gallant as to survive a week without watering!

I'm in the Peoples Republic of California.

I can understand letting the plants die, it just seemed odd if they stopped producing this early.

I usually only plant two tomato plants a year - they keep me well supplied, and anything more is just a waste.

I'm in the Peoples Republic of California.

I can understand letting the plants die, it just seemed odd if they stopped producing this early.
They probably would have continued, if I had continued to water them, but like I said, I was tired of messing with them.

I usually only plant two tomato plants a year - they keep me well supplied, and anything more is just a waste.

I had 12 plants - different varieties. I plan to cut back to maybe 6 next year - as 12 was way too many. I don't like to plant less than that in case some of them don't make it, but this year, all of them were thriving.

Forum List

Back