What do you grow?

I grow a lot of stuff. :D

One of the staples in my garden is kale, the 'lacinato' variety. It's one of those kinds of plants that'll give you more food than you can handle if you treat it well.

Funny you mention that, a friend was just telling me she was going to grow some Kale.

What does Kale taste like? Is it anything like Collard Greens or Turnip Greens?

Not as "dark green" as those. More crispy. And thick. Needs some kind of flavoring help, but real good for ya.

One of the staples in my garden is kale, the 'lacinato' variety. It's one of those kinds of plants that'll give you more food than you can handle if you treat it well.

Funny you mention that, a friend was just telling me she was going to grow some Kale.

Not as "dark green" as those. More crispy. And thick. Needs some kind of flavoring help, but real good for ya.
I love kale with just a little lemon juice on it. YUM!

OK, what I'm growing this year:

Heirloom tomatoes
Cucumbers
Habanero peppers
Cilantro
Thyme
2 types of Basil
Horseradish
Mint
Sage
Bay Laurel
Stevia

And I have a blueberry bush that I never get anything from, but the birds love them!

So, do you boil it same as turnip greens?

Steam it. I like mine with a dash of vinegar, sometimes chopped with crispy bacon bits and onions.

You can boil it, steam it, saute, any way you want. I like it raw for a salad instead of lettuce.

Steam it. I like mine with a dash of vinegar, sometimes chopped with crispy bacon bits and onions.

Sounds good, I'll have to give it a try!
medium-smiley-068.gif

I live in the giant pumpkin capitol of the world, Alaska. I prefer growing smaller varieties, though...sugar and pie pumpkins, they are tastier and not so tough. The seeds are also great for worming my livestock, being anthelmintics.

I wanted to try great gunnera this year, but I think I've waited too late. I bought one once several years back, and something dug it out of the ground and ate it the first night it was in the ground.

Gunnera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Holy cow! That thing looks positively paleolithic! Is it edible for humans?

No. It's not.

Nah, not to me!

I'll have to give that a try, I do like a lot of different greens in my salad. Thanks for the tip.

I used to make salads with kale, turnip greens, mustard greens, and spinach all thrown in together. Good stuff!

No lettuce. Lettuce is boring.:eusa_hand:

I love lettuce! I only get Romaine or Iceberg, but if you buy the salad packages, there's all kinds mixed in, and they're all good.

Nah, not to me!

I'll have to give that a try, I do like a lot of different greens in my salad. Thanks for the tip.

I enjoy a variety of leaf lettuce and other leafy treats, I call it my "lawn clipping" special.

Around here that would be 'poke salad,' tender shoots growing in the spring. Good to lay in on top of a pot of greens cooking. Not good after they shoots mature and those red berries come on them.

I enjoy a variety of leaf lettuce and other leafy treats, I call it my "lawn clipping" special.

Around here that would be 'poke salad,' tender shoots growing in the spring. Good to lay in on top of a pot of greens cooking. Not good after they shoots mature and those red berries come on them.

I also relish young dandelion greens and nettle pesto.

It really depends on the kale. The 'lacinato' variety is sweeter and milder with a nutty flavor. Far less harsh than regular curly kale. It's got a satiating element to it, and is very savory. I grew 'georgia' collard greens last year, and the bitterness was off-putting. I've never had turnip greens, but I hear they're incredibly nutritious—the 'bull's blood' variety is very interesting.

One of the ways I prepare kale is to take the long-strapped leaves, de-rib them, brush them with olive oil, and bake them until crispy. It's incredibly delicious. Thin strips go well in chicken soup, and sauteing them with chicken and herbs is pleasant.

One of the best ways to eat kale is to steam it, because steaming enhances it's cholesterol-lowering properties. It's a superfood that ought to be more popular.

You can boil it, steam it, saute, any way you want. I like it raw for a salad instead of lettuce.

It's not too bitter?

It depends on the variety and the weather when picked. If you pick typical curly kale in the heat of summer, your bitter taste-buds will explode upon eating it. However, if you pick a variety like 'lacinato' during autumn, you'll have a very good ingredient in your hands—sweet, nutty, fibrous, nutrition-packed, versatile, and mild.

Nah, not to me!

:lol: - that's what it looks like, at least the packaged ones. The radicchio always seems a little bitter to me, but I found this on the internet and I'm willing to try it. I love fried cabbage with onions, so I bet this would be good.

Raw chopped radicchio you often find in those bagged salad mixes. But here’s the cool thing, radicchio is outstanding grilled. Something about the grilling on high heat transforms the bitterness and turns it even a little nutty. I didn’t believe it until I tried it. So good! Quarter the radicchio heads, coat them with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, grill them until lightly charred all over. Chop them into salad sized pieces, toss them with dressing, and sprinkle on a little grated Parm or Pecorino and you’re there.
Grilled Radicchio Salad Recipe | Simply Recipes

It really depends on the kale. The 'lacinato' variety is sweeter and milder with a nutty flavor. Far less harsh than regular curly kale. It's got a satiating element to it, and is very savory. I grew 'georgia' collard greens last year, and the bitterness was off-putting. I've never had turnip greens, but I hear they're incredibly nutritious—the 'bull's blood' variety is very interesting.

One of the ways I prepare kale is to take the long-strapped leaves, de-rib them, brush them with olive oil, and bake them until crispy. It's incredibly delicious. Thin strips go well in chicken soup, and sauteing them with chicken and herbs is pleasant.

One of the best ways to eat kale is to steam it, because steaming enhances it's cholesterol-lowering properties. It's a superfood that ought to be more popular.

It's not too bitter?

It depends on the variety and the weather when picked. If you pick typical curly kale in the heat of summer, your bitter taste-buds will explode upon eating it. However, if you pick a variety like 'lacinato' during autumn, you'll have a very good ingredient in your hands—sweet, nutty, fibrous, nutrition-packed, versatile, and mild.
I wonder if the stores label it "lacinato" - because I would love to try it, but I'm not going to grow it - I don't have room in my garden and I never have luck growing things like cabbage, lettuce, and I'm sure Kale, too. i would like to try it, I bet you can grill it just like I found out you can grill radicchio! Olive oil just seems to make any grilled vegetable taste sooooo good!

:lol: - that's what it looks like, at least the packaged ones. The radicchio always seems a little bitter to me, but I found this on the internet and I'm willing to try it. I love fried cabbage with onions, so I bet this would be good.

Raw chopped radicchio you often find in those bagged salad mixes. But here’s the cool thing, radicchio is outstanding grilled. Something about the grilling on high heat transforms the bitterness and turns it even a little nutty. I didn’t believe it until I tried it. So good! Quarter the radicchio heads, coat them with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, grill them until lightly charred all over. Chop them into salad sized pieces, toss them with dressing, and sprinkle on a little grated Parm or Pecorino and you’re there.
Grilled Radicchio Salad Recipe | Simply Recipes

Ooooh! That does look tasty. I might try that next time I grill. Thanks!

Forum List

Back