What do you grow?

It seems I grow a lot of deer food. Last year they ate my hostas, this year, they ate two of my hydrangeas. I'm thinking of putting out a deer feeder away from the house to see if that will distract them from my plants. It didn't work with the squeeeeerels, but maybe it will work with the deer. For now, it's blood meal and Deer Off.

Have your husband go to the bathroom around the perimeter.

That would be pretty difficult since he has been dead for 27 years! Wouldn't that involve quite a bit of time? How many trips would it take?

Anything that isn't Monsanto seed. What their seed produces ( I believe ) is poisonous to the human body. I would advise everyone to not buy Monsanto seed. Check around. You can buy seed still that is not connected to Monsanto and the first thing I'd do after the first crop is save the seeds.

You'll be needing them in the future. Read up on seed storage - etc. You'll be glad you did.

Is it inside or outside?
Is it in pots or in the ground?
Is it flowers or veggies?
Is it shrubs...flowering or just greenery?
Anyone grow fruits? Trees or bush fruits or canes?
In what area of the country are you gardening?

The majority of my gardening is outside. I live in the S.E. so I can grow nearly year round as our ground never freezes. I have some potted things on our front porch & a few scattered in the yard but most things are planted in the ground here.
I grow a bit of everything...veggies, perennial flowers & shrubs, annual flowers, have some lemon trees currently (planning more fruit trees soon), have both wild blackberries and wild blueberries on our property.

So what do the rest of you grow and how and what area?

not much this year

mostly grass for the new place

Trying giant pumpkins again. In the big leagues 100 pounders are chump change but that was the best I could do a couple of years ago. Last year the vines failed and I got nothing. It's a fun thing if you have the room and the time though. To grow giant pumpkins you need giant seeds, no joke. The seeds are regular size but you need to get them from a giant pumpkins, namely pumpkin champions like Dill. Plant them in peat pots point side down and in a few days they explode out of the ground and you can almost watch the two big leaves get bigger. I was a little late this year but I have one in the ground and another standing by in a bigger peat pot. The other two that sprouted, I hate to just let them die so I don't know. I worked the bed with good aged chicken manure manure and I might spray for vine borers. Who knows maybe a 800 pounder.

I'm doing raised vegetable gardens this year. Tomatoes, corn, beans, peppers, and blackberries are planned.

I've been doing that for quite a while. One year I went crazy and planted all kinds of things, carrots, corn, green beans, tomatoes, bell peppers, jalapenos, banana peppers, okra, squash, zucchini, cucumbers, radishes, herbs, pumpkins, gourds, strawberries, eggplant and loofahs.

I didn't do well with the carrots, strawberries, pumpkins or corn, and the okra was driving me crazy (you have to pick them every day or they grow to 1 foot long), so I cut out some of them. This year I'm only growing bell peppers, tomatoes, squash, zucchini, green beans, cucumbers, radishes and okra. I have a separate bed for asparagus and some years I get a good crop, other times not so much.

I decided to pay more attention and it is paying off. My plants are looking pretty healthy, I've got two tomatoes trying to turn red pretty soon.

Indiana. I have 2 apple trees, a peach tree, a row of hazelnut bushes. And I get nothing from them. Oh, I have lots of fruit. And many well-fed squirrels, raccoons and possums. I watch the squirrel gangs having turf wars over my hazelnut bushes, as hazelnuts are like squirrel crack. Now, if civilization collapses and I need the food, I'll have to learn the art of varmint shooting. As it is, I just have to laugh at it.

I do get some produce. The critters don't like the sour cherries on my cherry tree. I eat those, but pucker factor limits how many. They're better for pies. And I have a wild plum thicket, that grows many small plums. Those get ripe around the beginning of September, but there's only a window of a few days when they're good. I've got Juneberry/Serviceberry/Saskatoon bushes, which produce a fruit much like a blueberry in mid June. And I use wild strawberries as a groundcover in the garden beds, which yield a few small strawberries.

What else. Oh, my 2 pawpaw trees have set fruit for the first time this year. We'll see if that works. Pawpaws are midwestern understory tree, with sort of banana-like fruit. The 2 pecans and 1 hickory I planted aren't flowering yet. One of my 4 persimmon trees flowered for the first time this year, but it's a male, so no fruit. Have some cranberry viburnums by the creek. And I should check the chokecherries, as they flowered out nice.

Yep, those darn critters, they always eat most of our peaches, nectarines and plums.

One year I had about 30 persimmons on one of my persimmon trees and kept looking forward to the day when I could harvest them. One morning I went out to check on them, and darn it if not one single one was left on the tree. I don't know if it was the raccoons or the squirrels that took them, I'm think raccoons. The next year I only had about 9 on the tree, but i threw a net over the tree (it's still not too tall), and I was able to enjoy each and every single one! I love them. Nobody else in my family likes them, but I think they are so good. I've counted around 25 so far this year, but sometimes some of them drop off, so who knows how many I'll have at harvest time.

I've wanted a pawpaw tree but have not ever found a nursery that has one. Is the fruit really tasty? I saw it in a magazine and it said it was really good, but I haven't been able to get one.

I grow most everything I eat than can be. Flowers and shrubs serve no purpose other than asthetics.

Last edited:
I grow weeds, tomatoes, weeds, peppers, weeds, basil, weeds weeds weeds.

And I have an itsy bitsy urban yard in Oaklandtown. Most of it is hardscaped with blue stone..and the planters contain mostly drought tolerant native flowering things and grasses. Pretty....but weeds weeds weeds infiltrate from my obnoxious neighbor who doesn't take care of his yard's weed batch.

The worse is oxalis. I think oxalis is actually an alien invasion it's so pernicious.

Have you ever tried Preen? That is a pre emergence herbicide.

No, but I will look that up. Does it kill ground cover?

Grow cannabis.

Not only can pot be used for recreational purposes, but it can also be used for other things..........

Like fabric (where do you think canvas came from), as well as food, and not only that, but things like fiber (Corvette has used hemp fibers for their bodies), as well as for biofuel.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back