What do you think of an employer that does this?

My niece has developed problems with her gall bladder, and has missed days at her new job (she has been in very bad shape). The place where she has been working has a policy of no missed days for the first six months (a common probationary period). A couple of days ago she was in such bad shape that she was admitted to the hospital for further testing. She was released after a day, but her doctor had scheduled her to have surgery. He also wrote her a note for her work. She called her manager to tell him that she had a note from her doctor but that she would try to come in if it meant keeping her job. He told her that HR had already fired her. She called HR and they said the manager had fired her. Now she not only doesn't have a job, she has no insurance and is facing an expensive operation and convalescence, and still has a family with three children to raise.

I think that any employer that does this to its employees, particularly one like her that they admitted was a good worker, is dastardly and not worth working for. So my question is should employers be allowed to do this to new employees?

I would be very surprised if an employer did that to a good employee.
Hell,I started pretty much every job I ever had with a weeks vacation after two months.
You just tell em you have a trip planned and paid for and they'll always let you have it...assuming after two months you've proven your worth.

It happens. Trust me. This isn't the first time I've seen it happen. And she could hardly have been able to do what you suggest since the illness was not planned in advance. How could it be?
doesnt everyone know when something bad is going to happen to you?....

My niece has developed problems with her gall bladder, and has missed days at her new job (she has been in very bad shape). The place where she has been working has a policy of no missed days for the first six months (a common probationary period). A couple of days ago she was in such bad shape that she was admitted to the hospital for further testing. She was released after a day, but her doctor had scheduled her to have surgery. He also wrote her a note for her work. She called her manager to tell him that she had a note from her doctor but that she would try to come in if it meant keeping her job. He told her that HR had already fired her. She called HR and they said the manager had fired her. Now she not only doesn't have a job, she has no insurance and is facing an expensive operation and convalescence, and still has a family with three children to raise.

I think that any employer that does this to its employees, particularly one like her that they admitted was a good worker, is dastardly and not worth working for. So my question is should employers be allowed to do this to new employees?

Hell,I started pretty much every job I ever had with a weeks vacation after two months.
You just tell em you have a trip planned and paid for and they'll always let you have it...assuming after two months you've proven your worth.
Amazing since I have never heard of a vacation being paid for after 2 months employed with a company...
i hear ya....i worked in the PO and as lax as they were you could not do jack shit till after 90 days...unless you had a dam good reason....

Is this really what we can expect from our youth?
A total inability to read and comprehend?

You might want to go back and read my post again.
Moons had several tries,lets see if you can spot moonies error.

this is what happens in non-union places....sorry to say Oro,but if the company has a policy about attendance,than thats the policy,its fucked up of them since this is somewhat different than just calling in saying you dont feel good.....but 90% of the companies out there can care less about the welfare of its employees,something happens to you,tough shit.....they expect loyalty from you but they dont feel they need to return any....i delivered mail for 33 years and have heard this story hundreds of times over the years from people on the route....

What a load of horseshit.
If you're any good at what you do they arent going to fire you.
we are talking about an employee with less than 6 months in are we not?....whats a load of horseshit is you thinking a decent new employee would not be fired for doing this.....but than again i guess you have worked everywhere....

Are you mentally deficient?

evolution..

It happens. Trust me. This isn't the first time I've seen it happen. And she could hardly have been able to do what you suggest since the illness was not planned in advance. How could it be?

Holy Shit!! You keep doubling down on your first ignorant post.

Six months probation? That's weird, it's usually 90 days. Sucks about her gallbladder but she took the job knowing that there was a probationary period. She can not fulfill her end of the commitment, tough break.

Stop with the bleeding heart shit, she can sign up for obamacare insurance under the exception rule.

Is she sure she needs it removed? I had gallstones and they insisted I have my gallbladder removed. The stones passed (yes, it is extremely painful but tylenol w/codeine was very effective in relieving the pain). I held off on surgery. That was ten years ago, not a problem since then.

Yes. The surgery is already scheduled for early next week.

As for fulfilling her commitment, she was already fully committed to her job. Until she got sick, everything was going well. She just needed some time to take care of an acute and unexpected medical condition. And she was fully committed to returning when she got well.

I've had a job before that had a six month probationary period so it isn't that unusual.

She failed to fulfill her end of the commitment because she missed work due to her illness. Those are the company rules, she knew it going in to the job, she cannot be surprised that they fired her. Does it suck? Yes. What is the company suppose to do with her work while she is out? What if there are complications from surgery, how long are they suppose to hold her job?

Companies do not give a flying fuck about their employees, people should stop expecting them to care. They used to but no more. We are all just cogs in the wheel.
Companies do not give a flying fuck about their employees, people should stop expecting them to care
then they should not expect you to show them loyalty either....

Six months probation? That's weird, it's usually 90 days. Sucks about her gallbladder but she took the job knowing that there was a probationary period. She can not fulfill her end of the commitment, tough break.

Stop with the bleeding heart shit, she can sign up for obamacare insurance under the exception rule.

Is she sure she needs it removed? I had gallstones and they insisted I have my gallbladder removed. The stones passed (yes, it is extremely painful but tylenol w/codeine was very effective in relieving the pain). I held off on surgery. That was ten years ago, not a problem since then.
In some jobs it's 2-3 years probation. But like I said...during probation they can let you go for whatever reason or no reason at all. Is it nice? No...but businesses usually don't run on nice.
2-3 years?....geezus....

mr-burns.gif

Amazing since I have never heard of a vacation being paid for after 2 months employed with a company...
i hear ya....i worked in the PO and as lax as they were you could not do jack shit till after 90 days...unless you had a dam good reason....

i read what you said...i dont believe, unless you know the boss, or its what everyone does there, that you will get a week off after a few months on the job....dont forget you said..... Hell,I started pretty much every job I ever had with a weeks vacation after two months......pretty much every job?.....bullshit....if you would have said some jobs....but just about everyone?....yea right....

this is what happens in non-union places....sorry to say Oro,but if the company has a policy about attendance,than thats the policy,its fucked up of them since this is somewhat different than just calling in saying you dont feel good.....but 90% of the companies out there can care less about the welfare of its employees,something happens to you,tough shit.....they expect loyalty from you but they dont feel they need to return any....i delivered mail for 33 years and have heard this story hundreds of times over the years from people on the route....

What a load of horseshit.
If you're any good at what you do they arent going to fire you.
we are talking about an employee with less than 6 months in are we not?....whats a load of horseshit is you thinking a decent new employee would not be fired for doing this.....but than again i guess you have worked everywhere....

Are you mentally deficient?
if you think good employees dont get fired for shit like this then i believe you are the mentally deficient one here,or you are pretty fucking naive.....

As for fulfilling her commitment, she was already fully committed to her job. Until she got sick, everything was going well. She just needed some time to take care of an acute and unexpected medical condition. And she was fully committed to returning when she got well.

I've had a job before that had a six month probationary period so it isn't that unusual.

She failed to fulfill her end of the commitment because she missed work due to her illness. Those are the company rules, she knew it going in to the job, she cannot be surprised that they fired her. Does it suck? Yes. What is the company suppose to do with her work while she is out? What if there are complications from surgery, how long are they suppose to hold her job?

Companies do not give a flying fuck about their employees, people should stop expecting them to care. They used to but no more. We are all just cogs in the wheel.
Companies do not give a flying fuck about their employees, people should stop expecting them to care

In some jobs it's 2-3 years probation. But like I said...during probation they can let you go for whatever reason or no reason at all. Is it nice? No...but businesses usually don't run on nice.
2-3 years?....geezus....

Y'all must be some cheesy ass employees. I have never in my 31 years of working experienced what you claim.
Do your fucking job to the best of your ability and if you're not a moron you'll achieve success.

Holy Shit!! You keep doubling down on your first ignorant post.
im sorry....was i quoting something you said?.....

i read what you said...i dont believe, unless you know the boss, or its what everyone does there, that you will get a week off after a few months on the job....dont forget you said..... Hell,I started pretty much every job I ever had with a weeks vacation after two months......pretty much every job?.....bullshit....if you would have said some jobs....but just about everyone?....yea right....

You're one stupid Mfer.
I'll go ahead and repost what I said.

You just tell em you have a trip planned and paid for and they'll always let you have it...assuming after two months you've proven your worth."

So tell me,whats the problem with what I said?

We don't know the whole story, but we know the brutal labor policies companies have developed in the last 35 years.

Funny,I never encountered any of these "brutal labor policies".
i have ....in the US Postal Service.....

So what does that tell you?
um....that the PO has had brutal labor policies?.....:dunno:

Okay,now we've established you'll work for a company you feel was cheating you.
Correct?

I think the bank manager/owner/partners/whatever, are idiots. The hassle of teaching a new employee is worse than having to cover for someone who needs temp medical needs taken care of.

2-3 years?....geezus....
"Companies do not give a flying fuck about their employees, people should stop expecting them to care"
NO SHIT, I've been preaching this.

Dayum, I HATED training new employees. Each company has their own ways of doing stuff. This includes banks. I guess they don't mind retraining new employees to take the place of one already trained but has medical issues that surfaced thru no fault of her own.

Forum List

Back