What do you think of an employer that does this?

"Hell,I started pretty much every job I ever had with a weeks vacation after two months. Common sense and experience tell the rest of us that you are being loony." What you are saying is not so.

My niece has developed problems with her gall bladder, and has missed days at her new job (she has been in very bad shape). The place where she has been working has a policy of no missed days for the first six months (a common probationary period). A couple of days ago she was in such bad shape that she was admitted to the hospital for further testing. She was released after a day, but her doctor had scheduled her to have surgery. He also wrote her a note for her work. She called her manager to tell him that she had a note from her doctor but that she would try to come in if it meant keeping her job. He told her that HR had already fired her. She called HR and they said the manager had fired her. Now she not only doesn't have a job, she has no insurance and is facing an expensive operation and convalescence, and still has a family with three children to raise.

I think that any employer that does this to its employees, particularly one like her that they admitted was a good worker, is dastardly and not worth working for. So my question is should employers be allowed to do this to new employees?

I would be very surprised if an employer did that to a good employee.
Hell,I started pretty much every job I ever had with a weeks vacation after two months.
You just tell em you have a trip planned and paid for and they'll always let you have it...assuming after two months you've proven your worth.
Amazing since I have never heard of a vacation being paid for after 2 months employed with a company...
i hear ya....i worked in the PO and as lax as they were you could not do jack shit till after 90 days...unless you had a dam good reason....

One would think that gall bladder surgery is a pretty good reason.

What if she found out she had cancer and had to do chemo after surgery? Would they fire her then, too?
I'd contact the local news and make a ruckus. Yep. Sure would. And blackballing me? Pfffffft. She can give her references and leave out the assholes that fired her when she is ready to go job hunting again.

"Hell,I started pretty much every job I ever had with a weeks vacation after two months. Common sense and experience tell the rest of us that you are being loony." What you are saying is not so.

Good God,You people are dense!!!!

You go into the interview and tell them you've already paid for a vacation.
Are you still with me?
And then you tell them you'll take it WITHOUT PAY!!!!!!
Is it clear now..!! You fucken Dolts!!!!

Leave it to a liberal to not think of this......

Last edited:
What if she found out she had cancer and had to do chemo after surgery? Would they fire her then, too?
I'd contact the local news and make a ruckus. Yep. Sure would. And blackballing me? Pfffffft. She can give her references and leave out the assholes that fired her when she is ready to go job hunting again.

I hate to break it to you but they have no obligation to hold a job for you when you get sick.

My niece has developed problems with her gall bladder, and has missed days at her new job (she has been in very bad shape). The place where she has been working has a policy of no missed days for the first six months (a common probationary period). A couple of days ago she was in such bad shape that she was admitted to the hospital for further testing. She was released after a day, but her doctor had scheduled her to have surgery. He also wrote her a note for her work. She called her manager to tell him that she had a note from her doctor but that she would try to come in if it meant keeping her job. He told her that HR had already fired her. She called HR and they said the manager had fired her. Now she not only doesn't have a job, she has no insurance and is facing an expensive operation and convalescence, and still has a family with three children to raise.

I think that any employer that does this to its employees, particularly one like her that they admitted was a good worker, is dastardly and not worth working for. So my question is should employers be allowed to do this to new employees?

If she's on their insurance, she can go on Cobra to cover her surgery.
Probably nothing she can do about the job.

I would be very surprised if an employer did that to a good employee.
Hell,I started pretty much every job I ever had with a weeks vacation after two months.
You just tell em you have a trip planned and paid for and they'll always let you have it...assuming after two months you've proven your worth.
Amazing since I have never heard of a vacation being paid for after 2 months employed with a company...
i hear ya....i worked in the PO and as lax as they were you could not do jack shit till after 90 days...unless you had a dam good reason....

Is this really what we can expect from our youth?
A total inability to read and comprehend?

You might want to go back and read my post again.
Moons had several tries,lets see if you can spot moonies error.
i read what you said...i dont believe, unless you know the boss, or its what everyone does there, that you will get a week off after a few months on the job....dont forget you said..... Hell,I started pretty much every job I ever had with a weeks vacation after two months......pretty much every job?.....bullshit....if you would have said some jobs....but just about everyone?....yea right....

You're one stupid Mfer.
I'll go ahead and repost what I said.

You just tell em you have a trip planned and paid for and they'll always let you have it...assuming after two months you've proven your worth."

So tell me,whats the problem with what I said?
so in other words you are a scamer....dishonest fuck....

We don't know the whole story, but we know the brutal labor policies companies have developed in the last 35 years.

Funny,I never encountered any of these "brutal labor policies".
i have ....in the US Postal Service.....

So what does that tell you?
um....that the PO has had brutal labor policies?.....:dunno:

Okay,now we've established you'll work for a company you feel was cheating you.
Correct?
cheating me?.....how does brutal labor policies = cheating someone?....i was paid,got great benefits....i got everything they said i would get as did everyone else....learn the difference between treating people like shit and being cheated....and you called me stupid?....

"allowed"?

did she know her condition before hand?

did she go on the aca?

can she go on UE
can she get financial aid

can you, as her brother, man the fuck up and help her?

pussy
Typical GOP response.
I'm not a rep.

and as I recall when I spoke of my Dad, filth accused me of lying, and you were one of them

The irony

If this is a true story I feel for your family. Very compelling.

It may be more complex than you have brought to USMB. I'm curious also about the company. There are many challenges in keeping a company profitable and running "healthy". The manager is responsible for the entire organization's employee's future as well as the owners returns for the time and money to create a business.

Take a business taken when they are going through a difficult stretch by a Mitt Romney and butchered to it's parts to be sold to the highest bidder or restructured sending all or most of the jobs to a foreign country. Just staying healthy and strong might be all that saves the company from pirates like Mitt.

It costs a company a lot of money to train and evaluate employees through a probationary period. Both "surgeries", your sister's and the decision forced on the company by your sister's absence were unfortunate and most likely necessary.

I hate to break it to you but they have no obligation to hold a job for you when you get sick.
I understand that and agree. They have no obligation. No empathy either. And stupid in my opinion. *shuddering at teaching new employee*. Again, for MYSELF, I would cause havoc. Just cuz. Karma's a bitch, lol. They don't care? Neither do I. Smear their lack of empathy around and let them scramble, says I. :lol:

Maybe she can start a GoFundMe thing until she is back up on her feet? You didn't mention a husband. Does he work? Disability might be helpful. She will NOT be down for "months" either..if it's just gall stones and they take out her GB. I would say 2 to 3 weeks. Thats how long it was for me. Teaching my body to deal without a GB took longer..couple of years, actually....but I could still work. Problem is, I could not accept a job and not tell the employer my...ahem..situation. It wouldn't be right. Then I got breast cancer sometime later, which didn't help. Physically and mentally, I was pretty much a wreck. By age 62, I could get my SS. So for 4 years, I did what I could on ebay, and we lived off hubbys SS and we got roommates.
We asked for nothing (except me attempting to get SSI and denied 3 times) and did our best with what we had. I wish your niece luck, and tell her to not worry about the down time after surgery. Unless they find something else, that is.

Maybe she can start a GoFundMe thing until she is back up on her feet? You didn't mention a husband. Does he work? Disability might be helpful. She will NOT be down for "months" either..if it's just gall stones and they take out her GB. I would say 2 to 3 weeks. Thats how long it was for me. Teaching my body to deal without a GB took longer..couple of years, actually....but I could still work. Problem is, I could not accept a job and not tell the employer my...ahem..situation. It wouldn't be right. Then I got breast cancer sometime later, which didn't help. Physically and mentally, I was pretty much a wreck. By age 62, I could get my SS. So for 4 years, I did what I could on ebay, and we lived off hubbys SS and we got roommates.
We asked for nothing (except me attempting to get SSI and denied 3 times) and did our best with what we had. I wish your niece luck, and tell her to not worry about the down time after surgery. Unless they find something else, that is.

She is married and her husband works.

There is a reason why companies call the first few months "probationary". Agreeing to work for a company requires agreeing to the company's conditions. She should have read all of the documents given to her by HR. Obviously she and her husband didn't understand the consequences of not fulfilling her responsibilities during the probation. Life can be difficult for those that cannot navigate getting older. There are many thousands of sad stories in the homeless population of good people that followed the rules and did not prepare for the worst. Most of those people do not have anyone on the internet advocating for them.

Good God,You people are dense!!!!

You go into the interview and tell them you've already paid for a vacation.
Are you still with me?
And then you tell them you'll take it WITHOUT PAY!!!!!!
Is it clear now..!! You fucken Dolts!!!!

Leave it to a liberal to not think of this......
Now you are qualifying what you originally said. Sure, do it, and be untrustworthy from the beginning.

If she's on their insurance, she can go on Cobra to cover her surgery.
Probably nothing she can do about the job.

Cobra aint cheap.

Is this really what we can expect from our youth?
A total inability to read and comprehend?

You might want to go back and read my post again.
Moons had several tries,lets see if you can spot moonies error.
i read what you said...i dont believe, unless you know the boss, or its what everyone does there, that you will get a week off after a few months on the job....dont forget you said..... Hell,I started pretty much every job I ever had with a weeks vacation after two months......pretty much every job?.....bullshit....if you would have said some jobs....but just about everyone?....yea right....

You're one stupid Mfer.
I'll go ahead and repost what I said.

You just tell em you have a trip planned and paid for and they'll always let you have it...assuming after two months you've proven your worth."

So tell me,whats the problem with what I said?
so in other words you are a scamer....dishonest fuck....

Well actually the first time I did this I really did have a vacation planned and paid for.
From then on I always had one planned.
And you know what? Not a one of them had a single problem with it because I brought value.

Funny,I never encountered any of these "brutal labor policies".
i have ....in the US Postal Service.....

So what does that tell you?
um....that the PO has had brutal labor policies?.....:dunno:

Okay,now we've established you'll work for a company you feel was cheating you.
Correct?
cheating me?.....how does brutal labor policies = cheating someone?....i was paid,got great benefits....i got everything they said i would get as did everyone else....learn the difference between treating people like shit and being cheated....and you called me stupid?....

I guess you'll have to explain these so called brutal labor practices than.
If they are over working you without compensation then yes they are cheating you.
Personally I'd go look for another job.

Forum List

Back