What exactly are "Christian Values"?

bodecea

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Will.Trade.Racists.For.Refugees
There's a Arizona private college that frequently advertises on the radio here...Grand Canyon University. They also heavily recruited our daughter (no idea why)...even tho she's a college sophomore now, we still get calls and literature from them. They go on, in their ad, about teaching in an atmosphere of "Christian Values". Could someone give a list please?

I think the basic tenets of the New Testament amount to Christian values. A value is moral tenet by which a Christian measures his own steps in the sight of God. Jesus and Paul are especially emphatic concerning the "dos" and "don'ts" of a Christian's walk in life.

The "beatitudes" are one such list found in the early chapter of Mathew 5. "Blessed are the ..." Do all Christians attempt or yearn to walk such a path? Nope! I've known many Christians (believers in Christ) who walk as "the world" walks. Nevertheless, the true "values" of a Christian are found in the Bible (specifically the New Testament).

Christ left Christians with two great commandments:
1) Love God with all of our heart, mind, and soul.
2) Love our neighbor's as we love ourselves.

Paul discusses the importance of charity which he places at the top of the list. He also tells us not to do anything that would give the "appearance of evil."

I recommend reading the Bible.
Particularly the New Testament. And if you're averse to doing that, note the influences of Christianity all around you. The hospitals, schools, shelters, charities. Without even opening the Book, the humanitarian value of the faith should be apparent.

• Banned
I think the basic tenets of the New Testament amount to Christian values. A value is moral tenet by which a Christian measures his own steps in the sight of God. Jesus and Paul are especially emphatic concerning the "dos" and "don'ts" of a Christian's walk in life.

The "beatitudes" are one such list found in the early chapter of Mathew 5. "Blessed are the ..." Do all Christians attempt or yearn to walk such a path? Nope! I've known many Christians (believers in Christ) who walk as "the world" walks. Nevertheless, the true "values" of a Christian are found in the Bible (specifically the New Testament).

Paul discusses the importance of charity which he places at the top of the list. He also tells us not to do anything that would give the "appearance of evil."

Ok, are your two numbered values expressly Christian?

Let's look at #2 for a second.....does one have to be or study Christians/Christianity to have that value?

What I don't get is that the early church did all it could to be totally apart from the Judean religion, yet later on they threw in the Judean Old Testament with the New Testament to make them combined...

I recommend reading the Bible.
Particularly the New Testament. And if you're averse to doing that, note the influences of Christianity all around you. The hospitals, schools, shelters, charities. Without even opening the Book, the humanitarian value of the faith should be apparent.

Is humanitarianism limited to "Christians" and their values?

I guess what I am wondering is...what are the values that are unique enough to Christians that they can be claimed as "Christian values" as opposed to simply..."decent human being values."

Let's look at #2 for a second.....does one have to be or study Christians/Christianity to have that value?

No, both are from the Torah.

No, both are from the Torah.

So...then are they really "Jewish values"?

There's a Arizona private college that frequently advertises on the radio here...Grand Canyon University. They also heavily recruited our daughter (no idea why)...even tho she's a college sophomore now, we still get calls and literature from them. They go on, in their ad, about teaching in an atmosphere of "Christian Values". Could someone give a list please?

They tell you what they are on their web site.
Look it up.

Forum List

Back