What is the purpose of marriage?

Marriage is less about love today and more about the benefits you get from being married.

I don't believe that for a second. People, with or without the "cash and prizes" would still be getting married. The gays don't get the cash and prizes and still we marry.

Yes, we are fighting for equal "cash and prizes", but even without them we would still be fighting for civil marriage because "the piece of paper" does mean something.

I've been with my partner for 17 years, but we've only been married for four. It feels different.

you sure assume a lot about gays ... why do you think they filed a suit against doma ... do you republicans ever pull your head out of your ass ??? just curious ... I've been with my partner for 38 years we've never married but in the state of coloraqdo we are considered common law ...which means she gets my benefits or I get hers ... that piece of paper really has nothing to do with it ... it has every thing what the state or federals allows period ... in the case of gays living together for 38 years they haven't any federal or state benefits

marraige is nothing but a word,

If the religious people insist they want it to mean certain things only then let them have the word and we will Do The Right Thing under the worlds civil union.

Hell maybe it wilk even make our unions MORE Civil.

This world is too small and life is too short for us humans to chase other humans down and deny them the simple pleasure of having the ability to LOVE whomever they Love and have everyone who sees them know they have the RIGHTS to be together.

Love foir hells sake peope LOVE.

I will NEVER to my dying day understand how people can talk shit about love as if its some terrible thing and needs to be scorned in public.

Its the same crazy stupid people who insist in the name of Jesus we should not feed hungry children with the help of government.

Government is designed to bring sanity to society.

Would jesus have whipped the money changers if they were using the government of the time to feed hungry children?

I hate organized religion.

peopl.e can be talked right into the exact opposite of what the founding man full of love meant them to do.

if marriage is only about having and raising kids then you people need to realise gay people have kids and raise them.

I guess you will be running out to ban sterile people from marrying or post child bearing years people need to be denied the right to marry?

Oh and you better go after the terminally ill too.

Under you dumb definition they need to be denied the right to marry since they will die and never bare children

Marriage is less about love today and more about the benefits you get from being married.

I don't believe that for a second. People, with or without the "cash and prizes" would still be getting married. The gays don't get the cash and prizes and still we marry.

Yes, we are fighting for equal "cash and prizes", but even without them we would still be fighting for civil marriage because "the piece of paper" does mean something.

I've been with my partner for 17 years, but we've only been married for four. It feels different.

you sure assume a lot about gays ... why do you think they filed a suit against doma ... do you republicans ever pull your head out of your ass ??? just curious ... I've been with my partner for 38 years we've never married but in the state of coloraqdo we are considered common law ...which means she gets my benefits or I get hers ... that piece of paper really has nothing to do with it ... it has every thing what the state or federals allows period ... in the case of gays living together for 38 years they haven't any federal or state benefits

Did you just call me a Republican? That's just mean.

marraige is nothing but a word,

If the religious people insist they want it to mean certain things only then let them have the word and we will Do The Right Thing under the worlds civil union.

Hell maybe it wilk even make our unions MORE Civil.

This world is too small and life is too short for us humans to chase other humans down and deny them the simple pleasure of having the ability to LOVE whomever they Love and have everyone who sees them know they have the RIGHTS to be together.

Love foir hells sake peope LOVE.

I will NEVER to my dying day understand how people can talk shit about love as if its some terrible thing and needs to be scorned in public.

Its the same crazy stupid people who insist in the name of Jesus we should not feed hungry children with the help of government.

Government is designed to bring sanity to society.

Would jesus have whipped the money changers if they were using the government of the time to feed hungry children?

I hate organized religion.

peopl.e can be talked right into the exact opposite of what the founding man full of love meant them to do.

it also has legal implications

Marriage is to get some of the other person's stuff if they leave you. Period.

that's your best response ?"??? me calling you a republican ???? that's what republicans do .... they don't answer any of the important stuff in the post ...they just go after the insult ... well here's another case of me being mean .... you act like a republican with your head inserted in the behind appropriate place

You are either Civilly Married or not. Common Law Marriage is a Civil Marriage. If you are married under Common Law and your state of residence also recognizes that Civil Marriage - then you are Civilly Married for federal purposes. Once you are married, there is no "common law divorce" you still have to go through the courts.

You can have been with our partner (assuming different sexes) for 38 years, that normally does not mean you have a Common Law Marriage, typically there is also a requirement that you have projected yourselves to the public as "Married".

Civil Marriage is a binary condition, you are or your are not. Civil Marriage is not a trinary condition: Singe, Married, Common Law.

>>>>

Marriage is not there to help you love your partner. You can do that fine without it. It's there to keep you together with your partner even if your love later disappears - something that people found over the ages, was grimly necessary.
....Until, women were "allowed" to receive Living Wages....and, no longer HAD to stay married to some (other) "breadwinner".

Then, ya' got your....

real-housewives-reality-tv-Favim.com-235205.gif

....who will ALWAY$ be looking for full-time babysitters....just like Mom's, immemorial, have always instructed their daughters!!!!

Marriage is to get some of the other person's stuff if they leave you. Period.

An Overview of Federal Rights and Protections Granted to Married Couples

There are 1,138 benefits, rights and protections provided on the basis of marital status in Federal law. [1] Because the Defense of Marriage Act defines "marriage" as only a legal union between one man and one woman, same-sex couples - even if legally married in their state - will not be considered spouses for purposes of federal law.

The following is a summary of several categories of federal laws contingent upon marital status.

Social Security

Social Security provides the sole means of support for some elderly Americans. All working Americans contribute to this program through payroll tax, and receive payments upon retirement. Surviving spouses of working Americans are eligible to receive Social Security payments. A surviving spouse caring for a deceased employee’s minor child is also eligible for an additional support payment. Surviving spouse and surviving parent benefits are denied to gay and lesbian Americans because they cannot marry. Thus, a lesbian couple who contributes an equal amount to Social Security over their lifetime as a married couple would receive drastically unequal benefits, as set forth below.

Family Eligible for Surviving Child Benefits Eligible for Surviving Parent Benefits

that's your best response ?"??? me calling you a republican ???? that's what republicans do .... they don't answer any of the important stuff in the post ...they just go after the insult ... well here's another case of me being mean .... you act like a republican with your head inserted in the behind appropriate place

You're the one that's doing the insults, young man, not I. I simply said that marriage isn't just about the benefits. You, apparently, think differently.

Well, as someone who is denied equality and benefits, I can assure you that marriage is about a lot more than that. It's about my children being able to say that their parents are married. It's about committing yourself to another person for the rest of your life as a family unit. It's about announcing that you are no longer an individual, but a family unit.

Take away the benefits, tax breaks, Social Security and inheritance benefits and "they gheys" will still want to get legally married.

What is the purpose of marriage?

Marriage is first and foremost a property contract.

If you doubt that watch one dissolve and see what the courts focus their attention on.

if you dont like gays using the word marraige then change the name of the contract EVERYONE should be allowed to have instead.

then you can keep the word marriage a religious word.

I will happily change my marriage certificate into a civil union certificate.

Nearly thirty years now and the word on that piece of paper means NOTHING compared with the love that is supposed to represent.

Here you nutters are slobbering over a WORD.

Its the love people.

quit spewing hate on LOVE of any kind

You're the one that's doing the insults, young man, I believe I said that are you that dumbnot I. I simply said that marriage isn't just about the benefits. You, apparently, think differently.
never said that either that marrage is just about benefits I said it was the reason gays are filing suit you mist that one too
Well, as someone who is denied equality and benefits, I can assure you that marriage is about a lot more than that. It's about my children being able to say that their parents are married. now thats comical ... I mean a real comical response ... I'm still laughing... It's about committing yourself to another person for the rest of your life as a family unit. It's about announcing that you are no longer an individual, but a family unit. BWA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA you are one singled minded fool

Take away the benefits, tax breaks, Social Security and inheritance benefits and "they gheys" will still want to get legally married.
that's what they want you fool ... here they both pay for all the social security, medicare medicaid, but don't get the same social security medicare medicaid you get because they aren't recognized as a married couple where you are ... really are you this dense ??? another moron that thinks getting married is just only about sex and how many babies can pop out of you

Last edited:

You're the one that's doing the insults, young man, I believe I said that are you that dumbnot I. I simply said that marriage isn't just about the benefits. You, apparently, think differently.
never said that either that marrage is just about benefits I said it was the reason gays are filing suit you mist that one too
Well, as someone who is denied equality and benefits, I can assure you that marriage is about a lot more than that. It's about my children being able to say that their parents are married. now thats comical ... I mean a real comical response ... I'm still laughing... It's about committing yourself to another person for the rest of your life as a family unit. It's about announcing that you are no longer an individual, but a family unit. BWA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA you are one singled minded fool

that's what they want you fool ... here they both pay for all the social security, medicare medicaid, but don't get the same social security medicare medicaid you get because they aren't recognized as a married couple where you are ... really are you this dense ??? another moron that thinks getting married is just only about sex and how many babies can pop out of you

why you being such a dick?

maybe that is why this person wont marry you

if marriage is only about having and raising kids then you people need to realise gay people have kids and raise them.

I guess you will be running out to ban sterile people from marrying or post child bearing years people need to be denied the right to marry?

Oh and you better go after the terminally ill too.

Under you dumb definition they need to be denied the right to marry since they will die and never bare children

"Homosexuals" cannot have children through "homosexual" choices. At the root of children there remains both an EGG and a SPERM. And the fact is that two gay males work and both invest and both have Social Security taken from their paychecks. Each male is entitled to what he contributed. But to suggest that one male is entitled to also collect the social security of his bed buddy upon death, well ---- that is not a proper reason for marriage, nor the appropriate use of Social Security.

With Real Marriage, the issue is that the wife often cannot work outside the home, as she must raise the family both her and her husband established through their marriage consummation. And so she may not have the opportunity to be invested in Social Security. And yet the very reason for their families success may lie fully on the wife's upbringing of that couples children and tending to the home, while her husband works to bring home the bacon.

A "homosexual's " lifestyle is artificial at best. And has little to do with what they produce but what they take upon themselves --- their choice.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back