What jurisdiction/authority does the Ethics Committie have that allows them to question Moore?

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
I am hearing he will have to go before them if elected. I don't understand how supposed actions that happened 4 decades ago outside of federally elected office are under their purview?

Talk about overreach...

I am hearing he will have to go before them if elected. I don't understand how supposed actions that happened 4 decades ago outside of federally elected office are under their purview?

Talk about overreach...

Because what he did four decades ago was unethical (and in some cases illegal) and reflects poorly on the institution he represents.

Talk about overreach...

Because what he did four decades ago was unethical (and in some cases illegal) and reflects poorly on the institution he represents.
From what I can tell Moore is at the very minimum a creep, a predator at the worst.
Having said that we are giving Congress too much power to determine who will represent us DESPITE the will of the people. It's not that hard to see this committee being set up as a future political weapon by the establishment. In my opinion their jurisdiction should be restricted to the actions of SITTING politicians.

We are rapidly approaching a scenario where sexual misconduct or other bad behavior won't cost you your job but a simple accusation will.

Talk about overreach...

From what I can tell Moore is at the very minimum a creep, a predator at the worst.
Having said that we are giving Congress too much power to determine who will represent us DESPITE the will of the people. It's not that hard to see this committee being set up as a future political weapon by the establishment. In my opinion their jurisdiction should be restricted to the actions of SITTING politicians.

We are rapidly approaching a scenario where sexual misconduct or other bad behavior won't cost you your job but a simple accusation will.
9 simple accusations

Talk about overreach...

9 simple accusations
He is not the only person under the gun.
I have no interest in litigating Moore's situations. That is not for me or you or Congress. That is the purview of the people of Alabama.

Talk about overreach...

9 simple accusations
I have no interest in litigating Moore's situations. That is not for me or you or Congress. That is the purview of the people of Alabama.
If they want a child molester involved in writing laws in their state, then that's the purview of the people of Alabama. But when the people of Alabama decide a child molester should should write laws for the nation, the nation can and should do something about it.

Talk about overreach...

9 simple accusations
If they want a child molester involved in writing laws in their state, then that's the purview of the people of Alabama. But when the people of Alabama decide a child molester should should write laws for the nation, the nation can and should do something about it.
You are hung up on one person when it is the power of an entire institution that is in question.
Even if Moore is guilty as charged it is not something Congress needs to waste my tax dollars on. Just don't sit him if that is the intention. Don't bullshit around and waste our money on another damn dog & pony show as you grasp for more & more unauthorized power.

9 simple accusations
You are hung up on one person when it is the power of an entire institution that is in question.
Even if Moore is guilty as charged it is not something Congress needs to waste my tax dollars on. Just don't sit him if that is the intention. Don't bullshit around and waste our money on another damn dog & pony show as you grasp for more & more unauthorized power.
They can't stop him from sitting. But they can expel his child molesting ass. The man is a disgrace to the nation.

Talk about overreach...

9 simple accusations
And they will make their ruling at the ballot box.

. I don't understand how supposed actions that happened 4 decades ago outside of federally elected office are under their purview?

There is NO statute of limitations on sleaze and perversion.......

Also, like it or not, congress as a deliberating body has every right to police its own....Franken was ready to stand before an ethical inquiry....Moore better be ready to do the same.

9 simple accusations
They can't stop him from sitting. But they can expel his child molesting ass. The man is a disgrace to the nation.
Take the binoculars down from your face. You are so obsessed with one target in the distance that youre missing the entire forest as it surrounds you.

. I don't understand how supposed actions that happened 4 decades ago outside of federally elected office are under their purview?

Also, like it or not, congress as a deliberating body has every right to police its own....Franken was ready to stand before an ethical inquiry....Moore better be ready to do the same.
Isn't that some shit? Franken resigns over sexual harassment outrage from Democrats, while Moore polls better among the GOP for molesting children.

Statutory citation is required.

Isn't that some shit? Franken resigns over sexual harassment outrage from Democrats, while Moore polls better among the GOP for molesting children.

Basically, the equivalent of charging the shop-lifter the same as the bank robber.

The Supreme Court ruled in 1967 in Powell v. McCormack that a chamber of Congress cannot bar a duly elected member whom the other members regard as distasteful, even one accused of stealing public funds. The court was especially doubtful about conduct that occurred prior to the beginning of the congressional session in question.

So if Moore must be seated, why not seat him and then move to expel him?

The expulsion idea, obviously a last resort, was first raised by Colorado Sen. Cory Gardner, who happens to be the chairman of the National Republican Senatorial Committee, tasked with getting Republicans elected to the Senate. Gardner's job is to help his party hold and augment its Senate majority in the 2018 midterm elections.

But whatever threat the GOP may perceive to its wider electoral fortunes, expulsion seems a long shot under any circumstances. There is no precedent for expelling a duly elected Senate member for actions committed before he took office.

There is little precedent for expelling senators at all.

No One Has Been Expelled From The Senate Since The Civil War

The allegations against Moore go back about forty years. The allegations against Bill Clinton went back about ten years and yet the media laughed it off including Hillary's bimbo eruption squad that was dedicated to using government resources to intimidate Bill Clinton's alleged victims. Where was the ethics committee then?

Censure was available, as was the failed impeachment. Once again, no precedent for expelling Moore. (Agnew resigned due to an indictment for acts that occurred when he was Governor of Maryland, but the charges were brought while he was VP.)

Forum List

Back