What kind of church do you go to?

It is a sad fact, but true: people will invent almost infinite varieties of justifications for the fact that they are simply too self-absorbed and lazy to devote an hour or two to formal worship in a faith community. You can blather on all you want about how you feel like you are in church when you are in a park or at a football game, but give me a break - it's all bullshit. You can tell people that you "saw the light" when you were thirteen or whatever, or some priest or minister drove you away, but ADULTS don't address the world like that. They make their own decisions and live by them.

And "going to church" is more than just showing up on Sunday morning. It is participating in the various ministries that the church supports - help for the poor, the imprisoned, the sick and shut-ins, poor widows and broken families. And if you can't participate personally then supporting them financially and with your prayers.

If I had a nickle for every self-absorbed asshole who has ever said to me, "I don't need a church or a priest to..."

Give me a break.

Surprise: I attend a select few Roman Catholic churches in my area (depending on my mood), and would never miss Mass for some flimsy reason like being on vacation or not feeling well.

It is a sad fact, but true: people will invent almost infinite varieties of justifications for the fact that they are simply too self-absorbed and lazy to devote an hour or two to formal worship in a faith community. You can blather on all you want about how you feel like you are in church when you are in a park or at a football game, but give me a break - it's all bullshit. You can tell people that you "saw the light" when you were thirteen or whatever, or some priest or minister drove you away, but ADULTS don't address the world like that. They make their own decisions and live by them.

And "going to church" is more than just showing up on Sunday morning. It is participating in the various ministries that the church supports - help for the poor, the imprisoned, the sick and shut-ins, poor widows and broken families. And if you can't participate personally then supporting them financially and with your prayers.

If I had a nickle for every self-absorbed asshole who has ever said to me, "I don't need a church or a priest to..."

Give me a break.

Surprise: I attend a select few Roman Catholic churches in my area (depending on my mood), and would never miss Mass for some flimsy reason like being on vacation or not feeling well.
Very good points.

Last edited:

Give me a break.

What's a 'sad fact' is that there are people walking around bent on forcing everybody else to think like them. The fact is, we all don't have those needs.

My church is the woods, and the sky and the stream. You'll just have to accept that.

And Sarge -- you don't need to explain, you're fine. :thup:

Last edited:

Give me a break.

What's a 'sad fact' is that there are people walking around bent on forcing everybody else to think like them. The fact is, we all don't have those needs.

My church is the woods, and the sky and the stream. You'll just have to accept that.

And Sarge -- you don't need to explain, you're fine. :thup:

:clap2:

My church is my life and every waking moment I have in it. I worship Truth (knowledge, justice, love & beauty) by its pursuit, and by harboring the hope of a divine spirit, God, which may embody it.

Last edited:
FWIW, this is my perspective on religion.

None of it is believable. No matter what religion you choose, it is based on either myths or claimed historical people and events that are literally not believable, and guiding principles that are mainly illogical. But for one reason or another (mainly indoctrination as children), we choose to believe that which is not believable or provable, and tell ourselves that this intentional rejection of reality and logic (which we refer to as "faith") is a good thing.

Parenthetically, I will say that if "faith" results in people who are kind, generous, law abiding, and respectful of authority (without being stupid about it), it is a good thing, even if it is provably stupid (usually the case).

In any event, if you choose to buy into the "Christian" faith and theology, then you are accepting a "religion" that has been in existence in one form or another for thousands of years. The sacred texts have been translated, analyzed, pondered, prayed over, re-analyzed, compared with historical and archaeological information from othe rsources. Volumes upon volumes have been written by brilliant thinkers who were totally devoted to Christianity and its myths and rationale. and although there is not universal agreement on all fine points, the basics are pretty much established, and I personally would say, are codified in the "creed" that came out of the Council of Nicea.

And I find it extremely presumptuous and if you will pardon me, illogical, when some asshole comes along (as they do constantly) and says, "Everybody else has been wrong for the past couple thousand years about Christianity, and I personally have figured it out."

This is the position taken by the Jehovah's Witnesses, Herbert W. Armstrong, Joseph Smith, and hundreds of other lesser "saints." And usually, they are trying to buy themselves fame, notoriety, money, and possessions through these claims, and people being gullible as they are, many follow them and believe what they are saying.

But the idea that someone today can read these texts and figure out something that has been un-seen for the past two thousand years? Gimme a break. It ain't happening. the NT itself says that the Holy Spirit was going to guide the Church through all time. Was the Holy Spirit on a celestial coffee break until Joseph Smith finally caught his attention in 1830?

How can you believe this shit?

As I said above, maybe it's all B.S., stuff, and nonsense. But if you claim to be a Christian, there are really no new revelations to be had. If there are, then the late J.C. was a liar - which seems to contradict some basic beliefs, eh?

Just my view.

FWIW, this is my perspective on religion.

None of it is believable. No matter what religion you choose, it is based on either myths or claimed historical people and events that are literally not believable, and guiding principles that are mainly illogical. But for one reason or another (mainly indoctrination as children), we choose to believe that which is not believable or provable, and tell ourselves that this intentional rejection of reality and logic (which we refer to as "faith") is a good thing.

Parenthetically, I will say that if "faith" results in people who are kind, generous, law abiding, and respectful of authority (without being stupid about it), it is a good thing, even if it is provably stupid (usually the case).

From what I've seen, it more often than not results in the opposite. Few people, good and bad, live by their religion.

Just my view.

Forget religion. I agree they're just conglomerations of fabricated revelations. But....are you certain there is no God, no hereafter? If so, where does your knowledge come from? And if you aren't certain....what to do?

Corollary to my perspective on religion.

'Faith" is not a gift from God (or whoever), it is something we choose to have, or choose not to have. You can (and many people do) live in a world that just "happened" through natural and aimless processes, and wherethe meaning of our existence is totally and finally decided by what happens between our conception and death. It is a world where saints are constantly punished and scoundrels rewarded; where we are totally absolved from responsibility for any crime (adultery, fraud, rape, murder), provided we are clever enough to hide it, or blame it on someone else. It is a world where charity and kindness are totally foolish, except to the limited extent that they come back to do us some personal good.

On the other hand, we can live in a world where good is ultimately rewarded (even if not visibly, here on earth), and evil punished. A world where charity and kindness "make sense" even if there is no apparent gratification coming back to the actor.

One perpetually hears arguments about whether atheists can be "good people." Certainly, nothing is certain or universal when it comes to human behavior, but when you look at the people truly doing charitable work (and I'm not talking about being a government-paid do-gooder), the number of believers versus atheists is on the order of 100-0.

I don't particularly care whether there is a God or not. I choose to believe in Him and act accordingly.

I do not attend church. If someone feels they need or want it, that is their option. Spirituality is personal and attending church does not define someone's ethics or morals or beliefs.

It does change you. If a puppy dog runs with a pack of wolves, does the puppy become wild or domesticated? What do you think the songs are for and what are you singing? You have a whole pack of sheep going one way so it can be hard not to get caught up in it if you are young especially churches that are non-denominational and not doctrinally sound.

I do not attend church. If someone feels they need or want it, that is their option. Spirituality is personal and attending church does not define someone's ethics or morals or beliefs.

It does change you. If a puppy dog runs with a pack of wolves, does the puppy become wild or domesticated? What do you think the songs are for and what are you singing? You have a whole pack of sheep going one way so it can be hard not to get caught up in it if you are young especially churches that are non-denominational and not doctrinally sound.

I have been to churches before, it is not for me. I do not always agree with what others believe about the Bible, there is nothing in a church environment that has been beneficial to me. If it helps others, good for them.

I have been to churches before, it is not for me. I do not always agree with what others believe about the Bible, there is nothing in a church environment that has been beneficial to me. If it helps others, good for them.

Since when is Church all about us? Church is there so we can fellowship and bless others. We are called to strengthen our brethren. Yes, we are blessed in those efforts, but the primary reason is to take care of others.

Since when is Church all about us? Church is there so we can fellowship and bless others. We are called to strengthen our brethren. Yes, we are blessed in those efforts, but the primary reason is to take care of others.

I have already stated that church is not for me. If you want the fellowship, it is your option. I just don't feel the need or desire to participate. This does not mean I do not help others, I do indeed, it has nothing to do with church or religion.

Forum List

Back