What makes people believe in primitive religions?

Years ago, when I was in the service, I had a roommate who was a Sikh from India. One year, he went home to visit and for his sister's wedding. When he came back, he told me he was in town and was walking by a Temple where some old men were sitting outside and smoking Temple Incense. He said it was daytime, but it was one of those days where you could see the moon. He said he pointed up at the moon and told those old guys that Americans had "walked" on the moon. He said they burst out in riotous laughter to the point of choking. So he asked them what was so funny. One of them said, "How can someone walk on a God?" and they burst out laughing all over again.

Now we know for sure the moon is a big ball of rock. Americans have been there more than once. Even Christians and Muslims and Jews know the moon isn't a "God", but it's a big rock. However, those old men still believe in spite of what anyone says. Do atheists see any difference between Christians, Muslims, Jews and those old men who believe God is a big floating rock?

You are confusing yourself with apples and oranges.

There are various kinds of truth out there. The truth about what a moon is is complete different from the kind of truth about the gods. The way how the different kinds of truth can be approached by humans can vary. However, there's common way to reach a truth of any kind, which is to put faith on human witnessing. Humans rely heavily on witnessing to reach a truth, without being realized by themselves.

Sorry. As a scientist I have very little faith in eye witness testimony.

Eye-witness testimony and anecdotal accounts are, by themselves, not reliable or definitive forms of proof for such extraordinary claims.

A particular standard of evidence is required to prove any claim. This ‘standard’ is adjusted depending upon the nature of the claim. Since god’s existence is an extraordinary claim, perhaps the most extraordinary claim, proving it requires equally extraordinary evidence.

The standard of evidence required to prove a god’s existence is immediately more than any personal anecdote, witness testimony, ancient book or reported miracle – none of which can be considered extraordinarily reliable. The human mind is also highly susceptible to being fooled and even fooling itself. One could be suffering from an hallucination or a form of undiagnosed schizophrenia, hysteria or psychosis, ruling out even our own senses as reliable evidence gathering mechanisms in this case.

Any good police detective will tell you that people see things differently. One witness says its a grey sedan someone else says it was blue. One witness recalls 4 gunshots another 5.

A doctor might recall medical details while a mechanic might remember how the motor sounded.

When you factor in the metaphorical ways that people relay stories you will get a myriad of different responses in the story telling. All the stories may be true from the perspective of the author though they may have different details.

Were there ever talking snakes? Did people ever live to be 800 years old?

The question is rather, if it is true then how can this truth reach you as a human? Besides, a story doesn't always mean to be 'literal'.

I have read the bible and like all other ancient books that talk about good and bad, I get it. I know it isn't right to steal, lie, cheat and murder. I know to love my neighbor. Doesn't matter how good the consequences you think are to a lie, if it is a lie should we really keep telling it? Do we really need it? We can teach people right and wrong without lying to them. I'm living proof.

And sorry buddy but for thousands of years they told us the stories were true. God talked to mosus, adam, jesus. If those stories didn't happen, what else is a lie? How about the entire thing???

“It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” – Carl Sagan

Just because something is perceived as having good consequences if it is true, does not actually make it true.

Were there ever talking snakes? Did people ever live to be 800 years old?

The question is rather, if it is true then how can this truth reach you as a human? Besides, a story doesn't always mean to be 'literal'.

What would it take to convince an atheist of a god’s existence?

A particular standard of evidence is required to prove any claim. This ‘standard’ is adjusted depending upon the nature of the claim. Since god’s existence is an extraordinary claim, perhaps the most extraordinary claim, proving it requires equally extraordinary evidence.

And considering all the stories that they said were real but now can't be believed because of science so now they say those stories are/were all "allegories"? Now I need even more proof.

The standard of evidence required to prove a god’s existence is immediately more than any personal anecdote, witness testimony, ancient book or reported miracle – none of which can be considered extraordinarily reliable. The human mind is also highly susceptible to being fooled and even fooling itself. One could be suffering from an hallucination or a form of undiagnosed schizophrenia, hysteria or psychosis, ruling out even our own senses as reliable evidence gathering mechanisms in this case. As strange as it sounds, misunderstood aliens might even be attempting to interact with us using extremely advanced technology. In fact, reality itself could be a computer simulation which we unknowingly inhabit.

Every conceivable argument, every imaginable piece of evidence for god is not without some fatal flaw or more likely explanation which precludes it from being used as definitive proof.

There is, however, a simple answer to this question: God is what it would take to convince an atheist. An omniscient god would know the exact standard of evidence required to convince any atheist of its existence and, being omnipotent, it would also be able to immediately produce this evidence. If it wanted to, a god could conceivably change the brain chemistry of any individual in order to compel them to believe. It could even restructure the entire universe in such a way as to make non-belief impossible.

In short, a god actually proving its own existence is what would convince any atheist of said god’s existence.

Think about what he's saying. The GOP/so called party of Christ is anti feed the poor and anti heal the sick.

I know that's what he said....that's why I think he's an idiot....I mean there's a fine line between being stupid enough to believe liberal memes and being smart enough to be able to read them......

Did the GOP House or did they not cut foodstamps and welfare while giving corporations tax breaks?

Did the GOP or did they not fight Obamacare which gave healthcare or made healthcare more affordable for millions of Americans who before could not afford healthcare?

So the GOP are not for healing the sick or feeding the poor. You can't say they are. Their charities/churches are doing a horrible job at filling the void since those cuts by the way. They are too busy filling their pockets.

they did not....as I pointed out, those are merely liberal memes.....some sheeple are stupid enough to believe them......sort of like a primitive religion.......

Last edited:
In short, a god actually proving its own existence is what would convince any atheist of said god’s existence.

I think is all to the good.....God doesn't want someone who accepts him only because he has no choice.....you don't want a God who gives you a choice....everyone gets what they want.....

I know that's what he said....that's why I think he's an idiot....I mean there's a fine line between being stupid enough to believe liberal memes and being smart enough to be able to read them......

Did the GOP House or did they not cut foodstamps and welfare while giving corporations tax breaks?

Did the GOP or did they not fight Obamacare which gave healthcare or made healthcare more affordable for millions of Americans who before could not afford healthcare?

So the GOP are not for healing the sick or feeding the poor. You can't say they are. Their charities/churches are doing a horrible job at filling the void since those cuts by the way. They are too busy filling their pockets.

they did not....as I pointed out, those are merely liberal memes.....some sheeple are stupid enough to believe them......sort of like a primitive religion.......

Is anything you disagree with a meme?

Cuts Contained in SNAP Bill Coming to the House Floor Would Affect Millions of Low-Income Americans ? Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

How Republicans turned against unemployment insurance - The Washington Post

And was it a meme when Rick Snyder GOP Gov MI lowered unemployment from 7 months to 5 months when unemployment was at it's highest? Those are the "tough" decisions he's making. Meanwhile giving his staff raises and tax breaks to the corporations who are outsourcing jobs. That's only tough on the middle class. And now the roads need fixing and he says they don't have the money so he's got to raise our taxes. Maybe he shouldn't have given the corporations those tax breaks you think?

I know you are too stupid to understand a word I just said. Felt good to let it out though. MEME. HA!

Years ago, when I was in the service, I had a roommate who was a Sikh from India. One year, he went home to visit and for his sister's wedding. When he came back, he told me he was in town and was walking by a Temple where some old men were sitting outside and smoking Temple Incense. He said it was daytime, but it was one of those days where you could see the moon. He said he pointed up at the moon and told those old guys that Americans had "walked" on the moon. He said they burst out in riotous laughter to the point of choking. So he asked them what was so funny. One of them said, "How can someone walk on a God?" and they burst out laughing all over again.

Now we know for sure the moon is a big ball of rock. Americans have been there more than once. Even Christians and Muslims and Jews know the moon isn't a "God", but it's a big rock. However, those old men still believe in spite of what anyone says. Do atheists see any difference between Christians, Muslims, Jews and those old men who believe God is a big floating rock?

When God is known better from the beginning of history, what do you block the known God with if you hate God? You invent your own religion to justify your denial of the true God.

Ummm, which God are you talking about? Yours?

cat-has-found-jesus.jpg

Is anything you disagree with a meme?

nope, just everything you've posted......

Forum List

Back