What Must I Do To Be Saved?

Acts 16: 29-31-

29And he called for lights and rushed in, and trembling with fear he fell down before Paul and Silas, 30and after he brought them out, he said, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?" 31They said, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household."…

How come then Christians say you have to be baptized too? Maybe that was a different author than the particular bible you read.

And how come Born Agains say it isn't enough that us other Christians were baptized when we were babies. They say that doesn't count and you NEED to be saved or born again as an adult.

29And he called for lights and rushed in, and trembling with fear he fell down before Paul and Silas, 30and after he brought them out, he said, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?" 31They said, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household."…

Quantum Windbag says I can interpret anything the bible says any way I want.

If Jesus said Jonah lived in the belly of a whale for 3 days and lived, and Windbag thinks he can spin that any other way, I guess I can interpret whatever the bible says however I want.

I'm going to assume they missed a comma. So he really said, "Believe in the Lord, Jesus, and you will be saved.

So that must have been someone else talking to Jesus. The Greeks must have misinterpreted that or forgot to put in the comma.

How come then Christians say you have to be baptized too? Maybe that was a different author than the particular bible you read.

And how come Born Agains say it isn't enough that us other Christians were baptized when we were babies. They say that doesn't count and you NEED to be saved or born again as an adult.

When you accept Jesus as your Savior you are baptized by the Holy Spirit. Catholics and some other denominations baptize you as a baby- but that only gets you wet. A baby hasn't repented and realizes HE/SHE needs a Savior.

Adult baptism under water is a public confession of an inward change and symbolizes our old (flesh) man dying and ressurrecting as we come out of the water.

Do you know how you can tell between the word of God and writings after the Old Testament? The writings after speak in third person, the person telling the story. The word of God tells the story of the one telling the story, third person once removed. In others words, the perspective of God.

Here is what Christ said when He was asked that same question:

Matthew 19:16-21 (KJV):

“And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet? Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.”

Mark 10:17-21 (KJV):

“And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life? And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God. Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother. And he answered and said unto him, Master, all these have I observed from my youth. Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.”

Luke 18:18-22 (KJV):

“And a certain ruler asked him, saying, Good Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life? And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none is good, save one, that is, God. Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother. And he said, All these have I kept from my youth up. Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.”

In addition to answering the specific question put to Him, Christ also said other things which appear to deal with salvation. Here are the relevant verses:

Matthew 7:21-26 (KJV):

“Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

"Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock. And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand.”

Matthew 25:31-46 (KJV):

“When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory: And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats: And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left. Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

"Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

"Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not. Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.”

I have posted these verses without comment because they seem to suggest justification by works and I am fully aware of other verses that clearly express justification by faith alone. I post these verses simple because they are attributable to the greatest authority in the Bible: Christ Himself. I have studied the Bible for over 60 years and I know pretty well what it says. However, I do not profess to be an expert on what its passages mean. Even Christian theologians passionately disagree on Biblical interpretation and they are more knowledgeable than I am.

Jesus was baptized by John as I recall, Baptism is a requirement. But one must be aware of right and wrong before one can consent to be baptized.

Jesus was baptized by John as I recall, Baptism is a requirement. But one must be aware of right and wrong before one can consent to be baptized.

baptism of the Spirit is required. Not water baptism. The only thing you need to "do" to be saved was in the OP. There are not a list of obligations.
Wrong as usual. Baptism is required of all flesh and blood, but I admit failing to get baptized will not keep you out of paradise. Further to be baptized one must be immersed in the water, sprinkling a little water on the head does not count. Nor does getting baptized as a baby. One must know right from wrong.

My experience with Christians indicate that one must lose all sense of the ironic in order to be saved. :)

Sealy, no where in the Bible does Christ say to baptize babies. That practice was adopted when the mortality rate for infants was so high, the parents took no chances. It isn't Biblical, nevertheless, I have a feeling that our loving Father counts it as righteousness on the part of the parents that they committed their child to God.

You don't have to be baptized, or belong to a church to belong to Christ. Call Him from your heart, and He will be closer to you than a brother.
If you don't belong to Him, He considers you a little lost sheep. And He is the best of shepherds.
The only thing that a lost sheep has to do to be saved is consent to being picked up and rested on the shoulders of the shepherd. He'll do everything else for you.

It does not say that the thief on the cross was ever baptized, and there was no opportunity to accomplish it after he acknowledged Jesus as the Son of God, and yet his belief in Christ produced immediate salvation.

Being born again is not the same as being baptized. Nicodemus was staunch Pharisee, so Christ explained to him that for him, a whole rebirth had to take place. On the other hand, the woman at the well was reborn with no instruction, after one short conversation with Jesus, and started evangelizing immediately. When you accept Christ as your Savior, you start over in a new life and purpose. That is rebirth.

The importance of baptism is an outward declaration that the old you dies going down into the water, and a newly reborn creature in Christ emerges. Christ received the Holy Spirit upon baptism.

As to the importance of baptism, the Bibles mentions 3 times to be baptized. As soon as the sabbath ended, as soon as dawn broke, and what are you waiting for, do it right now. :)

baptism must be done as an adult- or at least as someone who realizes their sin and that they need Jesus as their personal Savior. Only then should they be baptized. In doing so, it is a symbol to those around them- that they agree with the fact they are sinners and need a Savior. As they are dunked under the water the old man passes away and is buried; as they come out, the new man is birthed (spiritually) to the public. A public confession of an already inward change, being born again.

Sealy, no where in the Bible does Christ say to baptize babies...

Nowhere in the Bible does it say NOT to baptize babies, either.

what sin has a baby committed?

Haven't you heard? Somehow they ate the forbidden fruit of the Tree of Knowledge of good and evil before they were born, "Original Sin," and yet it was claimed in this thread that they do not have knowledge of good and evil so they can't be baptized as babies. :cuckoo:

Further to be baptized one must be immersed in the water, sprinkling a little water on the head does not count. Nor does getting baptized as a baby. One must know right from wrong.

It seems one Christianity contradicts another Christianity, so how does one know which Christianity to believe if none of them seem to make any sense???

Haven't you heard? Somehow they ate the forbidden fruit of the Tree of Knowledge of good and evil before they were born, "Original Sin," and yet it was claimed in this thread that they do not have knowledge of good and evil so they can't be baptized as babies. :cuckoo:

Further to be baptized one must be immersed in the water, sprinkling a little water on the head does not count. Nor does getting baptized as a baby. One must know right from wrong.

It seems one Christianity contradicts another Christianity, so how does one know which Christianity to believe if none of them seem to make any sense???

There was never concept of original sin in Judaism, Original sin was first mentioned by Paul, the creator of christianity , Paul needed to have Original sin so his god man could be the one to overcome it, in other word he invented the cure then invented the disease to cure

read and become educated

Judaism s Rejection of Original Sin Jewish Virtual Library

There was never concept of original sin in Judaism, Original sin was first mentioned by Paul, the creator of christianity , Paul needed to have Original sin so his god man could be the one to overcome it, in other word he invented the cure then invented the disease to cure

read and become educated

Judaism s Rejection of Original Sin Jewish Virtual Library

The term “original sin” is unknown to the Jewish Scriptures, and the Church’s teachings on this doctrine are antithetical to the core principles of the Torah and its prophets.

Does Judaism Believe in Original Sin Outreach Judaism

Forum List

Back