What Non-Christians Want Christians To Hear

Except when comparing two religions. Then whether they're opinion or not, correct or not doesn't matter because the comparisons limited to the two religions 'reality bubble.' As with Christianity believing Yeshua was the Messiah, and Judaism believing he wasn't. Whether he was or not wasn't isn't relevant because the question's being restricted to a comparion of two discrete systems. :)

...Fast moving thread, this was for AVG-JOE. :)

You should stick with advising those in your own religion. You are out of line when you preach to Christians. As are the wiccans like bones, and the atheists like jillian. You have been doing that since your first day on this forum and it is not appropriate.

If all Christians were like Jake and Jeri there would be no need for the OP. Respecting the rights of others to have their own beliefs/lack thereof is first and foremost. The only way to truly gain "converts" is to live a life that others want to follow.

Agree. Might mention Judaism forbids seeking converts and even disuades potential converts. We instead teach non-Jews be whatever religion you're happy with. If you're just and righteous G-d loves you every bit as much as He does us. He just doesn't hold you to 613 commandments like He does us, you only get 7 which are all commons ense you probably find yourself doing as they occur in just about every religion. 'Don't steal' etc.

If all Christians were like Jake and Jeri there would be no need for the OP. Respecting the rights of others to have their own beliefs/lack thereof is first and foremost. The only way to truly gain "converts" is to live a life that others want to follow.

Agree. Might mention Judaism forbids seeking converts and even disuades potential converts. We instead teach non-Jews be whatever religion you're happy with. If you're just and righteous G-d loves you every bit as much as He does us. He just doesn't hold you to 613 commandments like He does us, you only get 7 which are all commons ense you probably find yourself doing as they occur in just about every religion. 'Don't steal' etc.

Well FWIW, you seem not to realize that Jesus did not do away with Jewish law. He lived it and merely added to it, and he expanded his mission to include gentiles. Nowhere does Jesus say that Jewish law does not apply.

Matthew 23:23 (KJ21) | In Context | Whole Chapter

23 “Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law: judgment, mercy, and faith. These ought ye to have done and not to leave the other undone.

Not really.

My point in religion is always two:
Religion is a matter of opinion & All religious opinion has equal value.​

I don't know about that Joe.. People do not all worship the same God and people are not all the same inside. Some people are as innocent as puppies while others are snarling beasts drooling at the thought of devouring them.

Does the religious opinion that it is better to forgive sin and love your neighbor have equal value to the religious opinion that sin must be punished by chopping off your neighbors hands and feet ?

Is it not true that some religious beliefs are completely false and defile and contaminate the mind and have absolutely no positive value at all?

Right there... Are you not simply asking my opinion of religion A versus religion B?

In my opinion of the matter, what you describe is why Civil* Laws must always trump the Religious Laws of every faith, whenever there is conflict. The Muslim shopkeeper can kiss the lily-white ass of the American vagrant whom he just collared shoplifting, mutilation of a Monkey in America is a punishable offense.

*Emphasis on 'Civil'. Religious states like Iran are on the wrong side of history - My humble opinion.

Except when comparing two religions. Then whether they're opinion or not, correct or not doesn't matter because the comparisons limited to the two religions 'reality bubble.' As with Christianity believing Yeshua was the Messiah, and Judaism believing he wasn't. Whether he was or not wasn't isn't relevant because the question's being restricted to a comparion of two discrete systems. :)

You should stick with advising those in your own religion. You are out of line when you preach to Christians. As are the wiccans like bones, and the atheists like jillian. You have been doing that since your first day on this forum and it is not appropriate.

Don't think I'm preaching to anyone let alone Christians. If a non-Jew quotes my faith's book, I'll get into it if the subject's interesting. But I don't preach non-Jews are wrong, and we Jews are right.

And here especially this isn't even a theology vs theology topic but a comparison of two systems with objective realities you can look up and thus compare minus individual opinions or faith. Be like comparing a Harry Potter and Twilight book side by side. Though fictional, the comparison's possible because they both have books enabling such a a comparison.

Well FWIW, you seem not to realize that Jesus did not do away with Jewish law. He lived it and merely added to it, and he expanded his mission to include gentiles. Nowhere does Jesus say that Jewish law does not apply.

Matthew 23:23 (KJ21) | In Context | Whole Chapter

23 “Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law: judgment, mercy, and faith. These ought ye to have done and not to leave the other undone.

"He lived it and merely added to it..."

I wouldn't say he added to it so much as explained it better. Deuteronomy 13:1 says not to add to, or take away from Torah." Yeshua would have known that and gone out of his way not ot do something so overtly antithetical to Torah.

Yeshua himself of course didn't write anything that became the NT. All Yeshua had to talk about and teach was Judaism and Torah (and the rest of the Tanach.) What became Christianity was only written decades and centuries after Yeshua's life (or however you prefer thinking about it.)

Punish behavior not belief. Monsters of any faith should be isolated or terminated.

Isn't that kind of strong? What is a monster? Whose decides?

Or is "monster" someone you disagree with?

We're not from the Westboro Baptist Church and I am not implying they are monsters although they are misguided.

A. Jillian isn't a atheist, you stupid bitch
B. And you should never claim to be a Christian, a lying hateful bigot is not a Christian. You are not appropriate. You make other Christians look bad, you should just go live in the woods away from people so the world doesn't have to deal with your lying bullshit. Once again, you are not a Christian.

Sent from my iPhone using the tears of Raider's fans.

Good for Judaism banning proselytizing! :thup:

As an atheist I have had to some serious thinking about my own values. Perhaps the one "commandment" that I take most seriously is being always true to myself. I will never lie to myself because that would be a betrayal of myself. With that principle in place I find that other people appreciate honesty too. I treat others the way I expect to be treated and that works. So while much of this is codified in religion it gets lost in the mumbo-jumbo.

Everyone has to find their own inner peace and if it is through religion then more power to them. For the rest of us finding our own solutions is up to us as individuals.

EVERYONE has the same right to be wrong in religious matters.

The guy who lived in my house before me felt the same way. We end up fixing everything. He couldn't learn to do anything the right way. We have contractors who come to our house and say, "We hate this house". Every window is a different size because he was a do it yourself person and he brought parts home from work.

Unteachable people are like the do it yourself guy who lived in my house before me and they don't know when they are wrong.

And what if we are right? I expect to be accused on judgment day that I didn't tell enough people. I expect to be accused on judgment day that I didn't tell people the right things. I expect some people to change their tune up there and it won't be "be tolerant". The argument will be that we didn't do enough. It is nice to hear that we were always wrong.

Last edited:
I think what Chuck is saying, Jillian, is that the OP is negative and is asking others to join you in smearing Christians. If reading about the Gospel of Jesus Christ is an imposition to you don't click on the thread. There are plenty of forums on USMB. As to Christians who share the gospel.........

That is what Christians are commanded to do by Jesus Christ. Preach the Gospel.

* My fav. maxim on this board? Accentuate the positive!!

What you and other evangelicals need to hear is that you do not have a monopoly on morality and righteousness, that your faith is predicated on subjective doctrine and dogma, not facts or evidence, and that consequently you’re in no position to seek to compel others to abide by that subjective doctrine and dogma, particularly with regard to seeking to codify your religious dogma into secular law all citizens must obey.

You need to hear that whether you’re aware of it or not, whether intentional or not, you and other evangelicals come off as arrogant and intolerant, you exhibit a ‘my way or the highway’ mentality, and when you incorrectly perceive your religious liberty to be ‘violated,’ you complain about being ‘smeared’ or subject to a ‘war on Christianity,’ when in fact such nonsense couldn’t be further from the truth.

And you need to hear that non-Christians’ beliefs – or lack thereof – are just as valid as your beliefs, just as much entitled to Constitutional protections, and are just as entitled to be part of society as a whole. The United States is a secular Nation, where persons of faith and those free from faith are at liberty to practice that faith – or observe no faith at all – in accordance with one’s own good conscience.

Last, when someone you approach informs you that he is aware of your gospel and has no interest in it and wishes to be left alone, you must respect that wish and indeed refrain from further attempts at proselytizing. Religion is personal and subjective, and should be left solely to oneself and his fellow adherents.

Last edited:
Punish behavior not belief. Monsters of any faith should be isolated or terminated.

We're not from the Westboro Baptist Church and I am not implying they are monsters although they are misguided.

No, Chuck! The whole point is that disagreement is o.k. while violence is not. As long as the misguided (our shared opinion, nothing more) folks of Westboro Baptist obey the Civil Laws of whatever jurisdictions they find themselves operating in, their time is theirs to spend.

Punish BEHAVIOR not belief, and let current Civil Law draw the line.

Judgement should be the purview of a dynamic Civil Law that has the power to arrest and punish and, in a healthy society, that dynamic and fluid Civil Law reflects the people it governs. The more pluralistic a society becomes over time, the more Civil Law needs to protect the liberties of the inevitable minorities that arise.

No, Chuck! The whole point is that disagreement is o.k. while violence is not. As long as the misguided (our shared opinion, nothing more) folks of Westboro Baptist obey the Civil Laws of whatever jurisdictions they find themselves operating in, their time is theirs to spend.

Punish BEHAVIOR not belief, and let current Civil Law draw the line.

Judgement should be the purview of a dynamic Civil Law that has the power to arrest and punish and, in a healthy society, that dynamic and fluid Civil Law reflects the people it governs. The more pluralistic a society becomes over time, the more Civil Law needs to protect the liberties of the inevitable minorities that arise.

Except this is government by the people and when the people want school vouchers, others don't want the government and Civil Law to be established. It isn't about whether the government draws the line. It is about who draws the line.

Last edited:

As an atheist I have had to some serious thinking about my own values. Perhaps the one "commandment" that I take most seriously is being always true to myself. I will never lie to myself because that would be a betrayal of myself. With that principle in place I find that other people appreciate honesty too. I treat others the way I expect to be treated and that works. So while much of this is codified in religion it gets lost in the mumbo-jumbo.

Everyone has to find their own inner peace and if it is through religion then more power to them. For the rest of us finding our own solutions is up to us as individuals.

:thup:

By way of researching my book I’m OK – You’re Not: The Message We’re Sending Nonbelievers and Why We Should Stop, I posted a notice on Craigslist sites all over the country asking non-Christians to send me any short, personal statement they would like Christians to read.
“Specifically,” I wrote, “I’d like to hear how you feel about being on the receiving end of the efforts of Christian evangelicals to convert you. I want to be very clear that this is not a Christian-bashing book; it’s coming from a place that only means well for everyone. Thanks.”
Within three days I had in my inbox over 300 emails from non-Christians across the country. Reading them was one of the more depressing experiences of my life. I had expected their cumulative sentiment to be one of mostly anger. But if you boiled down to a single feeling what was most often expressed in the nonbelievers’ statements, it would be Why do Christians hate us so much?
Below is a pretty random sample of the statements non-Christians sent me (each of which I used in the book). If you’re a Christian, they make for a mighty saddening read. Or they certainly should, anyway.
“The main thing that baffles and angers me about Christians is how they can understand so little about human nature that when, in their fervor to convert another person, they tell that person (as they inevitably do, in one way or another), ‘You’re bad, and wrong, and evil,’ they actually expect that person to agree with them. It pretty much guarantees that virtually the only people Christians can ever realistically hope to convert are those with tragically low self-esteem.”– E.S., Denver

What Non-Christians Want Christians To Hear

<sigh> yet another Christian bashing thread. You asked a specific question and "surprise" you got the results you expected. Completely forgetting the millions of Christians out there going about their everyday business whom you don't even know ARE Christians. We're not all Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons and Westboro Baptist Church you know. They are a minority of Christians. In fact, I'll wager that most of those showing up at funerals to stop the WBC ARE Christians themselves.

Of course it's a Christian Bashing book, why else would you specifically want to hear from evangelical Christians who tried to convert someone? Why not go to a church and listen to the service? Talk to the people? Find out how they live their lives? Talk to their neighbors about how they feel living close to them? Because you are not looking to do a positive book on Christians, you are looking to bash them. Congratulations, you succeeded.

The guy who lived in my house before me felt the same way. We end up fixing everything. He couldn't learn to do anything the right way. We have contractors who come to our house and say, "We hate this house". Every window is a different size because he was a do it yourself person and he brought parts home from work.

Unteachable people are like the do it yourself guy who lived in my house before me and they don't know when they are wrong.

And what if we are right? I expect to be accused on judgment day that I didn't tell enough people. I expect to be accused on judgment day that I didn't tell people the right things. I expect some people to change their tune up there and it won't be "be tolerant". The argument will be that we didn't do enough. It is nice to hear that we were always wrong.

Then do what you must do, Chuck.

Just remember that 'no' means 'no', and your religion has no greater value than mine in Civil matters.

If Christians feel they have found the truth and their lives have been enriched thereby, there is nothing wrong with them sharing their experiences and spreading their joy.

There is something wrong when those free from faith politely and respectfully request that they no longer be subject to proselytizing and the theist persists regardless.

‘Feeling’ is personal and subjective, it is neither proof nor fact. You’re at liberty to express your religious beliefs and no one is stating otherwise; but as with all other aspects of our civil rights, there are reasonable limitations and restrictions on freedom of religion and expression which theists must understand, acknowledge, and obey.

Then do what you must do, Chuck.

Just remember that 'no' means 'no', and your religion has no greater value than mine in Civil matters.

Would add before 'sharing the good news' check the local laws. Some countries execute proselytizers. :)

:thup:

The Old Testament are the books of Judaism. and Jewish law. All the violence attributed to Christians is based on quotes from the Old Testament because they just can't find any in the New Testament. The god of the Old Testament is an angry hateful vengeful god. I find it quite contradictory to your general stance on religion that you find that particular god to be most appealing.

Here it is book by book, verse by verse.

Bible Study - Reference: Old Testament Violence

Here are quotes from just ONE of the books of the Old Testament which is part of the Christian Bible only for historical purposes:

The Book of Numbers

The Book of Numbers is the beginning of the Israelite military buildup. The 12 tribes are laid out, and the pecking order is established. This book also contains some of the bickering between the Sons of Aaron and the Sons of Levi, who represented two power groups within the Israelite priesthood and who both attempted to use the text of the Old Testament in order to cast doubt upon the other, when the priests wrote it around 600 BC.

Numbers 1:48-51 (Levites are exempted from the census, and from military service. If anyone but a Levite encroaches upon their holy altars, he must die for his victimless crime)
The LORD had said to Moses: "You must not count the tribe of Levi or include them in the census of the other Israelites. Instead, appoint the Levites to be in charge of the tabernacle of the Testimony--over all its furnishings and everything belonging to it. They are to carry the tabernacle and all its furnishings; they are to take care of it and encamp around it. Whenever the tabernacle is to move, the Levites are to take it down, and whenever the tabernacle is to be set up, the Levites shall do it. Anyone else who goes near it shall be put to death."

Numbers 3:4-10 (repetition of Leviticus 10:1-2. I will attempt to cut down on such repetitions in future, as virtually every story in the Bible is told several times in order to ensure that readers of limited intelligence, (ie- fundamentalists) can eventually absorb it)
Nadab and Abihu, however, fell dead before the LORD when they made an offering with unauthorized fire before him in the Desert of Sinai.

Numbers 3:9-10 (The Levites and the sons of Aaron are priests; anyone else who commits the victimless crime of approaching the sanctuary must die)
Give the Levites to Aaron and his sons; they are the Israelites who are to be given wholly to him. Appoint Aaron and his sons to serve as priests; anyone else who approaches the sanctuary must be put to death."

Numbers 11:1,33 (The people committed the victimless crime of complaining, so God burned some of them. That'll shut 'em up, eh? Later, after giving them a huge amount of food, he punished them by sending them a plague)
Now the people complained about their hardships in the hearing of the LORD, and when he heard them his anger was aroused. Then fire from the LORD burned among them and consumed some of the outskirts of the camp.
"Tell the people: `Consecrate yourselves in preparation for tomorrow, when you will eat meat. The LORD heard you when you wailed, "If only we had meat to eat! We were better off in Egypt!" Now the LORD will give you meat, and you will eat it. You will not eat it for just one day, or two days, or five, ten or twenty days, but for a whole month--until it comes out of your nostrils and you loathe it--because you have rejected the LORD, who is among you, and have wailed before him, saying, "Why did we ever leave Egypt?"
But while the meat was still between their teeth and before it could be consumed, the anger of the LORD burned against the people, and he struck them with a severe plague.

Numbers 14:29-33 (God condemns the people to die in the desert because of the victimless crime of complaining about their situation. Notice how he specifically mentions only those who were counted in the census, thus excluding the Levites from his harsh judgement because they were never counted. In every religious society, it has always been the priests who exalted themselves and used religion to guarantee their status, because when you take a cold, hard look at the situation, it is the priests who are, objectively, the most expendable. They produce nothing and they accomplish nothing. Without their ability to write religious rules designed to fill their coffers, they would starve)
In this desert your bodies will fall--every one of you twenty years old or more who was counted in the census and who has grumbled against me. Not one of you will enter the land I swore with uplifted hand to make your home, except Caleb son of Jephunneh and Joshua son of Nun. As for your children that you said would be taken as plunder, I will bring them in to enjoy the land you have rejected. But you--your bodies will fall in this desert. Your children will be shepherds here for forty years, suffering for your unfaithfulness, until the last of your bodies lies in the desert.

Numbers 14:36 (You don't want to be the bearer of bad news when God's in charge. Yet another victimless crime for which death is the punishment)
So the men Moses had sent to explore the land, who returned and made the whole community grumble against him by spreading a bad report about it-- these men responsible for spreading the bad report about the land were struck down and died of a plague before the LORD.

Numbers 15:32-36 (God commands Moses to have a man killed for the victimless crime of gathering wood on Sunday)
While the Israelites were in the desert, a man was found gathering wood on the Sabbath day.Those who found him gathering wood brought him to Moses and Aaron and the whole assembly, and they kept him in custody, because it was not clear what should be done to him. Then the LORD said to Moses, "The man must die. The whole assembly must stone him outside the camp." So the assembly took him outside the camp and stoned him to death, as the LORD commanded Moses.

Numbers 16:8-11, 23-27, 31-33, 46-49 (Evidence of the power struggle between the Sons of Aaron and the Sons of Levi. Some of the Levites try to boot out the Sons of Aaron from the priesthood, so God punishes them by murdering them along with their "wives, children, and little ones". He then escalates his wrath until it encompasses 14,700 people. This is presumably the justification for the uneasy sharing of priestly power between the Sons of Aaron and the Sons of Levi. The victimless crime of trying to start a splinter faction is apparently cause for mass murder in the eyes of God)
Moses also said to Korah, "Now listen, you Levites! Isn't it enough for you that the God of Israel has separated you from the rest of the Israelite community and brought you near himself to do the work at the LORD's tabernacle and to stand before the community and minister to them? He has brought you and all your fellow Levites near himself, but now you are trying to get the priesthood too. It is against the LORD that you and all your followers have banded together. Who is Aaron that you should grumble against him?"
Then the LORD said to Moses, "Say to the assembly, `Move away from the tents of Korah, Dathan and Abiram.'" Moses got up and went to Dathan and Abiram, and the elders of Israel followed him. He warned the assembly, "Move back from the tents of these wicked men! Do not touch anything belonging to them, or you will be swept away because of all their sins." So they moved away from the tents of Korah, Dathan and Abiram. Dathan and Abiram had come out and were standing with their wives, children and little ones at the entrances to their tents.
As soon as he finished saying all this, the ground under them split apart and the earth opened its mouth and swallowed them, with their households and all Korah's men and all their possessions. They went down alive into the grave, with everything they owned; the earth closed over them, and they perished and were gone from the community.
Then Moses said to Aaron, "Take your censer and put incense in it, along with fire from the altar, and hurry to the assembly to make atonement for them. Wrath has come out from the LORD; the plague has started." So Aaron did as Moses said, and ran into the midst of the assembly. The plague had already started among the people, but Aaron offered the incense and made atonement for them. He stood between the living and the dead, and the plague stopped. But 14,700 people died from the plague, in addition to those who had died because of Korah.

Numbers 18:2-3 (Yet again, we hear about the death penalty for the victimless crime of approaching an altar or sanctuary).
Bring your fellow Levites from your ancestral tribe to join you and assist you when you and your sons minister before the Tent of the Testimony. They are to be responsible to you and are to perform all the duties of the Tent, but they must not go near the furnishings of the sanctuary or the altar, or both they and you will die.
Numbers 18:22 (Yet another victimless crime punishable by death)

From now on the Israelites must not go near the Tent of Meeting, or they will bear the consequences of their sin and will die.
Numbers 21:3 (With God's blessing and assistance, the Israelites murder the Canaanites "completely", presumably meaning the usual slaughter of "young and old, women and children".)
The LORD listened to Israel's plea and gave the Canaanites over to them. They completely destroyed them and their towns; so the place was named Hormah.

Numbers 21:5-6 (The Israelites complain, so God sends poisonous snakes to punish them. Yet another victimless "crime" punished by death)
they spoke against God and against Moses, and said, "Why have you brought us up out of Egypt to die in the desert? There is no bread! There is no water! And we detest this miserable food!" Then the LORD sent venomous snakes among them; they bit the people and many Israelites died.

Numbers 25:1-9 (The Israelites engage in "sexual immorality" and worship Baal, so God sends them a plague and instructs them to start killing one another. For some reason, he is pleased when Phinehas murders an Israelite and a Midianite woman who were bold enough to come before the others, so he stops the plague. Again, victimless crimes are punishable by death).
While Israel was staying in Shittim, the men began to indulge in sexual immorality with Moabite women, who invited them to the sacrifices to their gods. The people ate and bowed down before these gods. So Israel joined in worshiping the Baal of Peor. And the LORD's anger burned against them.
The LORD said to Moses, "Take all the leaders of these people, kill them and expose them in broad daylight before the LORD, so that the LORD's fierce anger may turn away from Israel." So Moses said to Israel's judges, "Each of you must put to death those of your men who have joined in worshiping the Baal of Peor." Then an Israelite man brought to his family a Midianite woman right before the eyes of Moses and the whole assembly of Israel while they were weeping at the entrance to the Tent of Meeting.
When Phinehas son of Eleazar, the son of Aaron, the priest, saw this, he left the assembly, took a spear in his hand and followed the Israelite into the tent. He drove the spear through both of them--through the Israelite and into the woman's body. Then the plague against the Israelites was stopped; but those who died in the plague numbered 24,000.
Numbers 25:16-18 (The Midianites are now to be killed, for the victimless "crime" of befriending the Israelites and inviting them to join them in worshipping Baal of Peor. Moral of the story: don't befriend an Israelite, because he's liable to kill you and call you an enemy for exposing him to your culture)
The LORD said to Moses, "Treat the Midianites as enemies and kill them, because they treated you as enemies when they deceived you in the affair of Peor and their sister Cozbi, the daughter of a Midianite leader, the woman who was killed when the plague came as a result of Peor."

Numbers 31:14-18 (After vanquishing the Midianites as per God's instructions for the crime of offering friendship, Moses instructs the Israelites in the proper way to treat Midianite prisoners of war. Kill all of the boys, kill all of the women, and keep all the virgin girls for yourselves).
Moses was angry with the officers of the army--the commanders of thousands and commanders of hundreds--who returned from the battle. "Have you allowed all the women to live?" he asked them. "They were the ones who followed Balaam's advice and were the means of turning the Israelites away from the LORD in what happened at Peor, so that a plague struck the LORD's people. Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.
Thus endeth the list of atrocities in the Book of Numbers. If you encroach on priests' territory, complain about your situation, report bad news, gather wood on Sunday, or attempt to start a religious splinter faction (thus taking power from the establishment), you must die. And woe to any foreign nation which befriends the Israelites and invites them to join them in their religious festivals! God declares war on them, and they are ground into the dust. Their armies will be destroyed, their women will be murdered in cold blood, and their children will be either murdered or raped.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back