What objection can there be to solving simple poverty in a market friendly manner?

GG, the unemployment would not return a multiplier of two if people are using it permanently as income, it would become like welfare and the multiplier would diminish because you are fundamentally changing the program into something it wasn't meant to be.
It would average a multiplier of 2; and, those individuals would not be "doing nothing" as alleged by the right wing but doing something with those funds in a market friendly manner. Some of the socioeconomic effects would be less crime since some people would not want to work hard to be criminals if they could be moral and faithful to our own laws regarding employment at the will of either party in our at-will employment States.
What source do you cite that claims you will get a multiplier of 2? And don't just recite what it does now, because you're changing it.
Page iv:
Combining all UI components, we find that, overall, the UI program closed 0.183 of the gap in real GDP caused by the recession. There is reason to believe, however, that for this particular recession, the UI program provided stronger stabilization of real output than in many past recessions because extended benefits responded strongly. Multiplier effects in real GDP were estimated to average 2.0 for regular UI benefits and also 2.0 for extended benefits.

When you apply for multiple jobs you will ultimately get one. Then, as your experience and skills grow, you will be competing at a much higher level. That doesn't address my questions though. Did you actually apply for any jobs? If you did and got turned down, did you ask why you were rejected and make adjustments to get the next one?
Why do we have an endless war on poverty or any homeless problem now?
You didn't answer the question. Did you or did you not apply for multiple jobs?

GG, the unemployment would not return a multiplier of two if people are using it permanently as income, it would become like welfare and the multiplier would diminish because you are fundamentally changing the program into something it wasn't meant to be.
It would average a multiplier of 2; and, those individuals would not be "doing nothing" as alleged by the right wing but doing something with those funds in a market friendly manner. Some of the socioeconomic effects would be less crime since some people would not want to work hard to be criminals if they could be moral and faithful to our own laws regarding employment at the will of either party in our at-will employment States.

It would definitely lower the multiplier just as it would with anything you fundamentally change, it is absolute stupidly to believe otherwise.

Only a fool would think most people would choose to work 40+ hours for minimum wage when they could get the same amount for doing nothing.
Why do you believe it would be the same amount? Unemployment compensation for simply being unemployed on an at-will basis in our at-will employment States would be a rock bottom cost not a prevailing market based wage.
You've already stated that you want it to be $1/hr less then the MW you want.
Sure, I can still go with that. You seem to omit that gainful employment also tends to provide fringe benefits that can make actually working more attractive to persons who are ready, willing, and motivated for it.
For some. For far too many, though, free money leads to indolence. In your case, did you have incentive to find work or did you just give up?

Taking water out of the deep end of the pool and pouring it into the shallow end hoping to fill up the pool makes as much sense.
That is not an accurate equivalent since your analogy is zero sum and generates no multiplier.
So is yours. You take $100 million out of the economy, costing the multiplier effect it would have generated had you left it there, then you pump back in $100 million after taking a bunch off the top for wastage.

No, it is not the point. The natural rate of unemployment is around 4%. So 96% of the working population has a job, despite there being no requirement for an employer to hire them.

You have to make yourself attractive to the employer.
We are still talking about millions of persons. We would not need an endless war on poverty if what you claim is true. Why do we have any homeless problems or right wingers complaining about taxes if it is so easy to lift yourselves up from low wage jobs that make you complain about taxes?

Why can't the left wingers solve homelessness in their own states? Why is homelessness more prominent in left winger states?

And if you want to increase MW you have to do it carefully so as to not destroy the labor market.
The labor market won't be destroyed if Capitalists are seeking to maximize profits.
It would be destroyed if you arbitrarily force a big cost increase on business. And you would because some 50% of the work force would get an immediate raise while some 20% more would demand one.
No, it would not since employers can simply pass costs on to consumer (who would be making more and able to afford it) just like most any other cost or tax.
IOW, inflation. Do it too fast and you cost a lot of jobs in a short period of time that the market cannot absorb.

You have maintained all this time that people would go to school instead of doing nothing. You have stated that people will take those MW jobs so they can get raises and get promoted to make more money. All the things they could be doing now, but aren't. And while you're increasing inflation to artificially raise wages you're also losing jobs and getting less money into the treasury to afford all this.
Not at all; I am saying employers would need to raise their entry level wages if they need less skilled labor, if persons could otherwise obtain unemployment compensation for simply being unemployed on an at-will basis in our at-will employment States.

Higher paid labor creates more in demand and generates more in tax revenue.
IOW, you're arbitrarily increasing costs all the way around and adding inflation. What used to buy an hour of labor now buys half that.

What source do you cite that claims you will get a multiplier of 2? And don't just recite what it does now, because you're changing it.
Page iv:
Combining all UI components, we find that, overall, the UI program closed 0.183 of the gap in real GDP caused by the recession. There is reason to believe, however, that for this particular recession, the UI program provided stronger stabilization of real output than in many past recessions because extended benefits responded strongly. Multiplier effects in real GDP were estimated to average 2.0 for regular UI benefits and also 2.0 for extended benefits.
You cited what it does now. I told you not to do that, because you're changing it fundamentally. Again, you can't soup up a Honda engine to Ferrari horsepower and expect to get the same gas mileage. You failed again.

Unemployment only requires that you be unemployed.
And, Greed is Good under Capitalism if are gainfully employed.

You posted this:
"Any income you earn should be reported to the unemployment office which could lower the amount of unemployment compensation you receive.

And, you could also get an easy job which pays more than unemployment compensation; "hard work advocator". "

So, you are wanting to put added rules to collect unemployment, I thought unemployment only requires you be unemployed, no you don't want to discuss? Is that because you resort to fallacy,

I would not be working and I wouldn't retire. I know many people that aren't retired, get their pension, social security, 401K and still have a job. I would just choose not to work and collect all my benefits, why would I be discriminated against because of age? That is not equal protection.
You merely need be unemployed on an at-will basis. If you work there is no basis for unemployment compensation. So, don't work and don't make the money you could by working. "Be lazy", hard work advocating, right winger.
I would not be working, I would be home, unemployed, why not unemployment for simply being unemployed? You seem to be changing how unemployment works and how it is distributed. Welfare requires proof of income, not unemployment.

If you plan would end poverty, then the welfare/food stamp/Section 8 housing systems would have solved it. Changing the source of the money does nothing.
That is Your unsupported assumption. Means testing cannot solve simple poverty in a market friendly manner by definition.

And, means testing is being misused in our alleged war on poverty. Means testing should be for those for whom solving for a simple poverty of capital under our form of Capitalism may not be enough. Means testing should be used to generate metadata in order to concentrate wealth to solve more complicated issues that prevent persons from leading more productive lives in our market based economy.

Means testing is an attempt to stop people from drawing a check if they do not need it to get by. That is all. Without means testing, someone with $100k in the bank could draw welfare. Or someone who has a spouse with a good job, owns their home ect, could draw a check from the tax payers. If UC is ever changed into what you want, there will be a means test. I assure you of that.

If the only qualification for UC is that the person does not have a job, every retiree in the US would be applying for it, despite having a pension or 401k.

That would be my plan if that went through. I could get SS, pension, 401K and $15 bucks an hour and I would work overtime to get more than 40 hours at $15 an hour. How tough would it be to get overtime for not working!

Exactly. I am just a few years away from retirement. If Daniel's fantasy plan came to fruition, I could stop working and still draw a check. My 401k is enough for me to retire now. Add in a check for $2,800 a month and I would be in great shape.
You could also save some money and invest in the markets to receive more than you could from unemployment compensation.

So why could he retire and collect and not me? Where is the equal protection?
Why would you retire if greed is good and you were making more money being employed?

Where did I say greed is good? Do you not believe in unemployment for simply being unemployed?

Unemployment only requires that you be unemployed.
And, Greed is Good under Capitalism if are gainfully employed.

Your comment has nothing to do with what I posted, it seems you are again trying to change a subject. Why are you now making requirements of income for unemployment, you claim that one should receive unemployment for being unemployed.

Page iv:

And that was because UC was used only for legit unemployment claims and the people went right back to work.

For some. For far too many, though, free money leads to indolence. In your case, did you have incentive to find work or did you just give up?
I started getting into the stock market. Unfortunately, I had practiced with fifty thousand dollar practice accounts and it makes a huge capital difference for margin purposes. I found myself getting toe emotional and maybe even too greedy for my own good even under our form of Capitalism due to my low numbers and lack of constant practice. On the flip side, I probably would have only bragged if I had gotten it right the first time and maybe even just blown the (easy) money anyway instead of practice better money management.

Taking water out of the deep end of the pool and pouring it into the shallow end hoping to fill up the pool makes as much sense.
That is not an accurate equivalent since your analogy is zero sum and generates no multiplier.
So is yours. You take $100 million out of the economy, costing the multiplier effect it would have generated had you left it there, then you pump back in $100 million after taking a bunch off the top for wastage.
That is not how it works in economics, only special right wing pleading; other people are involved who may want to or be required to seek to maximize profits.

Forum List

Back