🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

What Part Of Your Culture Do You Think Outsiders Frown Upon?

American ignorance and apathy. The I don't know and I don't care attitude. We believe we know more and have more and, in some areas, we're wrong.

And we're so ignorant and apathetic, we don't want to know what we don't know and don't have.

This is a thread for you to explain what parts/elements of your culture that you believe or suspect outsiders frown upon or are disgusted by.

I'll start.

There's an element of British culture that is mostly unspoken, yet widely practiced, that outsiders are surprised by and tend to dislike.

Dog fighting.

On paper it's illegal but the police rarely take an interest in dog fighting. It's also very popular in Ireland.

What part of your culture do you think outsiders dislike?

Hope you get caught and go to jail.

American ignorance and apathy. The I don't know and I don't care attitude. We believe we know more and have more and, in some areas, we're wrong.

And we're so ignorant and apathetic, we don't want to know what we don't know and don't have.

Be honest Luddly: You've never left the country.

Many foreigners are appalled by the ubiquitous obesity of so many American citizens. ....... :cool:

Yet, besides fast food, Americans have a very positive attitude towards food.

Even as an Englishman, I find it hard to disagree with foreigners when it comes to noticing how boring and uninspired our cuisine is. And the majority's attitude towards food is that it's just sustenance, not pleasure. This is strange, seeing as the French are only twenty seven miles off our coast and their culture and history is interwoven with ours. Yet the quality of their cuisine and attitude towards it couldn't be further removed from ours.
That was one thing I discovered when I went to a pub outside of Windsor Castle. I asked the waitress what was good. She said it's all edible but not what we would call great.

Many foreigners are appalled by the ubiquitous obesity of so many American citizens. ....... :cool:

Even as an Englishman, I find it hard to disagree with foreigners when it comes to noticing how boring and uninspired our cuisine is. And the majority's attitude towards food is that it's just sustenance, not pleasure. This is strange, seeing as the French are only twenty seven miles off our coast and their culture and history is interwoven with ours. Yet the quality of their cuisine and attitude towards it couldn't be further removed from ours.
That was one thing I discovered when I went to a pub outside of Windsor Castle. I asked the waitress what was good. She said it's all edible but not what we would call great.

Let's call a spade a spade. It's shit. It looks shit and the taste isn't anything special. The same goes for Ireland. Yet on the Continent their cuisine and attitude towards it is in sharp contrast with ours. They care about the quality of ingredients and they're more adventurous. The same can be said of America. The food served in your roadside diners is usually a lot more appetising than the slop dumped on your plate in the U.K. I strive to make myself an exception in that regard and take a profound joy out of cooking. Everyone compliments me on my cooking, even my Italian-American in-laws who live in one of the world's most astonishing food parlours: New York City.

Americans from large cities, notably New York and Chicago, refuse to learn even a few phrases in other languages before visiting other countries.

Worst example I ever heard was in Rome where a couple, the male of which's appearance suggested Italian-American (his; she was not obviously of any particular ethnicity) stood at a hotel desk complaining their room was too hot. Trying in English. After a couple of unsuccessful tries the wife told the husband he had best speak louder as "The guinea bitch doesn't speak English".

Let's call a spade a spade. It's shit. It looks shit and the taste isn't anything special. The same goes for Ireland. Yet on the Continent their cuisine and attitude towards it is in sharp contrast with ours. They care about the quality of ingredients and they're more adventurous. The same can be said of America. The food served in your roadside diners is usually a lot more appetising than the slop dumped on your plate in the U.K. I strive to make myself an exception in that regard and take a profound joy out of cooking. Everyone compliments me on my cooking, even my Italian-American in-laws who live in one of the world's most astonishing food parlours: New York City.

Ironically;

Gordon James Ramsay, Jr. is a Scottish chef, restaurateur and hotelier. His restaurants have been awarded 15 Michelin stars in total and currently hold 14. His signature restaurant, Restaurant Gordon Ramsay in Chelsea, London, has held 3 Michelin stars since 2001.
I've been to his Maze restaurant in NYC. No big, in fact, mediocre.

This is a thread for you to explain what parts/elements of your culture that you believe or suspect outsiders frown upon or are disgusted by.

Only a pussy like you would care.

That was a really, really poor effort, son. I mean, how on earth could you equate my OP with being a "pussy"?

Fretting over what other people think is a pussy move.

No-one's "fretting", son. It's called soliciting opinion.

That was a really, really poor effort, son. I mean, how on earth could you equate my OP with being a "pussy"?

Save it for someone who's buying. Your general attitude is consistently one of "gosh, what will others say?" weakness. Remember the thread you started because you are scared of being called a racist (because you are)?

No one is fretting, Suzy. You are just too arrogant (god knows how that's even possible) to consider the question in the OP.

Tie a pork chop around your neck. Maybe you'll find someone to play with you then.

Save it for someone who's buying. Your general attitude is consistently one of "gosh, what will others say?" weakness. Remember the thread you started because you are scared of being called a racist (because you are)?

People ignorantly call me "racist" on here all the time. It's like water off a duck's back. Remember when you had to run away from a thread after I asked you to provide evidence of allegedly racist posts written by me?

No one is fretting, Suzy. You are just too arrogant (god knows how that's even possible) to consider the question in the OP.

Tie a pork chop around your neck. Maybe you'll find someone to play with you then.

Did your skinhead girlfriend ask you to come help him, or were you just moved by your affection for him?

Did your skinhead girlfriend ask you to come help him, or were you just moved by your affection for him?

Drink up, Alice.

It's the manifestation of an unhappy childhood and being schooled on here at every turn. He's always been a disappointment, so he takes his frustration out on others.

Forum List

Back