What percent of americans like their jobs?

initforme

Gold Member
Apr 23, 2011
Just wondering. When I was in my 40s I would have estimated it was 50 percent. Now I feel it's about 10 to 20. Any thoughts? I am sure happy to be retired.

When I worked for myself I always loved my job. At the point it became a drudge it was time to do something different.

I love my job, and do not plan on retiring any time soon. I would be rather rudderless without it, in fact.

I might be different if I worked for somebody else instead of owning my own business, but I wouldn't be doing it if I didn't love it.

Just wondering. When I was in my 40s I would have estimated it was 50 percent. Now I feel it's about 10 to 20. Any thoughts? I am sure happy to be retired.
I like my job. There have been several employers in that field I didnt like along the way in my career.

There is a good sized company near here. They employ about 600 peoe and have 3 shifts. I've never heard one person who works there say one good thing about their jobs. It's sad. The company needs to consider this. Happier employees are more productive.

There is a good sized company near here. They employ about 600 peoe and have 3 shifts. I've never heard one person who works there say one good thing about their jobs. It's sad. The company needs to consider this. Happier employees are more productive.
Some work just isn't very rewarding other than a steady paycheck.

It’s really hard to speculate, but i know a lot of people who like their jobs, but complain about them as well. I put myself in that camp, too.

Officially, I'm an electrician, who works on construction projects. It's been a very satisfying profession. I get great joy in seeing something come together, on an impressive scale, and to know of my role in making it happen.

Alas, one thing that happened, more than a year ago, was that a stack of drywall fell on my left leg, breaking both my tibia and fibula.

I hopefully am in the final stages of recovering from that, and hopefully no more than a few months from returning to that line of work.

In the mean time, having recovered enough for that, I've spent the last several months working at a thrift store. My main employer pays me my usual rate, but instead of getting me working for them on construction sites, the thrift store gets what labor I am able to provide there. The work there is not as directly satisfying. Mostly sorting incoming clothing and other donated material, and doing other mundane stuff. But it's a very positive, friendly environment, and I ultimately know that my efforts go to support a good cause. Once in a while, I even get the chance to fix or build something; I feel much more like myself when I am doing so, and take some joy in knowing that due to those efforts, when I leave that place to return to real work, I will be leaving it better than I found it.

My wife, on the other hand, hates her job. She works at a call center, that is rather badly run, and too cheap to pay for the kind of workers that it really needs. My wife is making barely over minimum wage, doing work that ought to command a higher rate, and doing it much better than a large number of her colleagues. She's always complaining to me about how she has to fix up the screwups created by other workers who don't care about doing their job right. She feels trapped, because between the demands of that job, and a two-hour commute each way, she's left with no time or energy to look for a better job. Lately, she's starting to sound more determined to find a way to make time and energy for that purpose; she's really getting disgusted at the goings on at her current workplace, much more so than she's been in the past.

I feel very fortunate to have had the career I did in engineering. I empathize with people who feel stuck in a job they don't like that doesn't pay well. There are way too many people in that situation and I don't know what the answer is to fix it. I do know the answer is not more government intervention.

I miss being out in the field at times. But mainly because I enjoyed all of the travel and really neat things I've seen. Heck, some of it I couldn't even mention. Ha.

Nowadays my work day consists of creating boring blueprints for the guys enjoying all of those cool places and interesting work sites.

I'm thinking 25 years is enough of the same trade. I'm gonna hit 50 here in a few months. Actually, next month. For years I watched the politicians destroy the value of the dollar and planned well ahead for what we're seing now. Some losses are unavoidable, no matter how much one plans around the failed monetary policy. But I'm comfortable that I'll be able to retire very early and not have to worry. I've been looking at Mexican real estate to get me and what wealth I've managed to keep out of the country, particularly before it gets really bad. I fear we're moving ever closer to a totalitarian state and they're pretty blatant about it now. This is very likey the worst possible place to be when it hits the fan, the people running this country now are effectively going full-blown fascist and a large majority of the electorate seems to be perfectly fine with it. Heck, we even have snitch hotlines now. Crazy. And personalty-wise, they're just the worst kind of people in government. Well, maybe a close third behind China and Iran governments.

I've never disliked what I do. I've enjoyed it, to be honest. I never even put my degrees to use. I don't even have em framed, I think they're at the bottom of a junk drawer under a bunch of coupons, some people say coopins, I say coupons.

Last edited:
Love my job, but I am starting the itch to move to a warmer climate and start working on retiring from work altogether.

Love what you do and you’ll never work a day in your life.

I loved my job. I never hated it. At all. I got frustrated sometimes but my job was mostly play so I had a blast.

I'm mostly retired now.

It’s really hard to speculate, but i know a lot of people who like their jobs, but complain about them as well. I put myself in that camp, too.

I have never complained about my job. Ever.

Forum List

Back