What The Heck Happened To Columbus??

PC is busily creating new reactionary far right nonsense.

I'm surprised PC hasn't turned this into an anti- Obama rant yet

I'm not at all surprised that you were unable to dispute any of the posts I provided.
Contrary to your avi.....
...you must be a Liberal, huh?
Dispute em?

I never even read em

Of course you have.

I pride myself on both the erudition and the veracity of my posts.
Bet you wish you could say the same.

PC is busily creating new reactionary far right nonsense.

I'm surprised PC hasn't turned this into an anti- Obama rant yet

I'm not at all surprised that you were unable to dispute any of the posts I provided.
Contrary to your avi.....
...you must be a Liberal, huh?
Dispute em?

I never even read em

Of course you have.

I pride myself on both the erudition and the veracity of my posts.
Bet you wish you could say the same.
Loony. Yes, you are.

Christopher Columbus was a genocidal maniac — AND a bumbling idiot

ommunities across America are beginning to embrace Indigenous People’s Day. Is this an example of political correctness run amok, as conservatives tend to see it? Or, as are liberals right in arguing that it’s an important acknowledgement that beneath the foundation of our vaunted Western values lie the scorched remains of millions of native Americans?

Allow me to offer a Third Way.

It’s true that by modern standards, Christopher Columbus was clearly a genocidal maniac, although his brutality toward indigenous people wasn’t all that exceptional in the context of early European colonialism.

But even if you don’t care about that, we still shouldn’t celebrate Christopher Columbus for the same reason we don’t take a day off to honor André Maginot for his defensive line in France prior to World War II, or the guy who thought up New Coke for his marketing genius: Columbus was a self-aggrandizing jerk who largely stumbled into the history books despite getting a whole bunch of things wrong.

Ooooo......look how nicely you parrot what they programmed into you in government school!!

Good boy!

Doggie treat?

Isn't that "gubbbermint" school to you bubba? The school is Rutgers by the way.

So what other historical figures do you admire? George Custer? He killed a lot of Injuns too.

ommunities across America are beginning to embrace Indigenous People’s Day. Is this an example of political correctness run amok, as conservatives tend to see it? Or, as are liberals right in arguing that it’s an important acknowledgement that beneath the foundation of our vaunted Western values lie the scorched remains of millions of native Americans?

It’s true that by modern standards, Christopher Columbus was clearly a genocidal maniac, although his brutality toward indigenous people wasn’t all that exceptional in the context of early European colonialism.

But even if you don’t care about that, we still shouldn’t celebrate Christopher Columbus for the same reason we don’t take a day off to honor André Maginot for his defensive line in France prior to World War II, or the guy who thought up New Coke for his marketing genius: Columbus was a self-aggrandizing jerk who largely stumbled into the history books despite getting a whole bunch of things wrong.

Ooooo......look how nicely you parrot what they programmed into you in government school!!

Good boy!

Doggie treat?

So what other historical figures do you admire? George Custer? He killed a lot of Injuns too.
PC want to government school too, Columbia.

Liberalism happened to Chris.

1. Christopher Columbus suffers from the fate of all those who run counter to what ever the Left wishes to advance at the moment.

2. At the start, and for hundreds of years, Columbus was considered a hero, responsible for "...one small step for man,one giant leap for mankind."

The problem is that his endeavors, and praise thereof, were seen as proxy for the spirit of commerce, capitalism, and even of the greatness of America.

3. But Columbus' repute peaked by the end of the 19th century.....coincidentally, just when collectivism, Progressivism, began to gain momentum. One certainly shouldn't expect to see this kind of endorsement: the Columbian Exhibition in Chicago, 1893, announced that "1492 was not just an important historical date, but a turning point in the emancipation of mankind."
Royal, R., "1492 And All That: Political Manipulations of History," p.10.

4. And poor Columbus was on the wrong side of not just capitalism, but of religion as well! Because of him, Christian missionaries preached the Gospel where it had never been before.

a. There was even a movement for his canonisation. Although the Vatican would not agree to this Pope Leo XIII issued an encyclical, Quarto abeunte saeculo, which praised Columbus in the highest terms:
'For the exploit is in itself the highest and grandest which any age has ever seen accomplished by man; and he who achieved it, for the greatness of mind and heart, can be compared to but few in the history of humanity. The Pope especially commended Columbus for bringing Christianity to ‘a mighty multitude, cloaked in miserable darkness, given over to evil rites, and the superstitious worship of vain gods’
Quoted in Royal, Ibid, p.11.

5. Jump to the 1992 Quincentenary, a century into Progressive influence, and things looked very different for poor Chris.

a. All sorts of writings objected that he hadn't really discovered America! The Indians were here...and they weren't waiting around to be discovered.

b. Columbus and the Europeans were accused of exploiting the Indians, of brutally
mistreating and murdering them by the million, of infecting them with European diseases to which they had no resistance, and of making them slaves in their own country. Christopher Columbus stood accused of genocide. Russell Means of the American Indian Movement claimed that Columbus was worse than Hitler! http://cfbportal.schoolwires.net/cm...nstance/3193/colonization/WorldsCollide06.pdf

c. Even the churches turned on Columbus!
Even The US National Council of Churches issued a statement on the quincentenary in which advanced the bogus claim of ‘genocide.
transformcolumbusdayalliance

Columbus never rode on a bus....but he got thrown under it!

"...one small step for man,one giant leap for mankind."
?? Is he the one who landed on the moon? LOL

Maybe what happened to Columbus was the evolving standards of human decency and a revulsion to genocide and exploitation. If you are going to blame progressives for throwing under the bus, then you are also saying that those capitalists and religious people -not that progressives cannot also be capitalists and religious- support crimes against humanity.

Good boy!

Doggie treat?

Has anyone pointed out to you that the two words you've chosen for your avi are what is correctly called an oxymoron?

Do a bit of research....you'll be sooooo embarrassed.

Twice now I've indicted those 'Noble Savages' that Columbus supposedly abused, were plain ol' 'savages' who "slaughtered every animal they could, driving many to extinction, and burned down whole forests for the fun of it."

One would have thought that part of indicting Columbus as a devil, would be to paint the Indians as angels....

Now....why have none of the Leftists in the thread been able to do so?

Could it be that the 'indigenous' folks did just what I said they did....when they were not busy cannibalizing each other and ripping the heart out of living 'sacrifices'?

Hmmmm?

Typical rape & plunder rw'er:

The Columbus Doors: Panel Seven
The popular vision of Columbus does not include that of an incompetent governor who lost control of his garrisons, who encouraged the establishment of a slave trade, who gave tacit, and sometimes explicit, approval to brutality and cruelty. Bartolome de las Casas, at first a Spanish colonizer and later an advocate for the humane treatment of the indigenous peoples, gives a detailed account of the atrocities, often committed in the name of Christianity, but more often in the name of gold.

However, it was not for purely humane reasons that Columbus was removed from the governorship of Hispaniola. He was widely regarded as an inept leader, with little control over the colonists and less political savvy. Ferdinand and Isabella, knowing his personality, realized the danger of allowing Columbus free reign, and saturated his power with the arrival of priests and military leaders. The outpost soon degenerated into chaos and violence, and Columbus was brought back to Spain in chains.

Good boy!

Doggie treat?

Has anyone pointed out to you that the two words you've chosen for your avi are what is correctly called an oxymoron?

Oh Christ!! Not that again. :ssex::ssex::ssex:

Do you think that is something clever and original? Read my signature line.

Good boy!

Doggie treat?

"Do you think that is something clever and original?"

No....I think you're a typical Rutgers grad.

The sig line reeks of government school lack of education.

Good boy!

Doggie treat?

Well, if all that you have are childish insults I'm not going to bother with you. :banned03::beer::beer:

Good boy!

Doggie treat?

Well, if all that you have are childish insults I'm not going to bother with you. :banned03::beer::beer:

Bet you had the same response to education.

columbus day political cartoons - My Yahoo Search Results

th
th
th

columbus day political cartoons - My Yahoo Search Results

th
th
th

Let's stick to how truly stupid your avi name is....
I'll try to dumb this down so even you can understand:

1. A patriot in America would stand for the America memorialized in our founding documents.
That would include the United States Constitution.

2. The heart of Progressive doctrine is ending the influence of the Constitution.

a. Progressive Woodrow Wilson suggested discarding the Constitution...
" Justly revered as our great Constitution is, it could be stripped off and thrown aside like a garment, and the nation would still stand forth in the living vestment of flesh and sinew, warm with the heart-blood of one people, ready to recreate constitutions and laws. …
Woodrow Wilson [Woodrow Wilson
"The Modern Democratic State" (1885; first published in 1966)
The Papers of Woodrow Wilson, Volume 5]

b. Progressive Franklin Roosevelt's view of the Constitution can be seen in the words of his chosen adviser, Rexford Tugwell
It is a fact that none of those Progressive New Dealers were constitutionalists. Roosevelt's economist, Rexford Tugwell said: Any people who must be governed according to the written codes of an instrument which defines the spheres of individual and group, state and federal actions must expect to suffer from the constant maladjustment of progress. A life' which changes and a constitution for governance which does not must always raise questions which are difficult for solution."
Manly, "The Twenty Year Revolution," p.63

So, you see that Progressive Patriot is akin to VegetarianForMeat.

Wise up.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back