"What To The Slave Is The 4th Of July?"

Actually America did exist as a colony of Britain.

There was no United States colony of Britain. You wrote U.S. existed in 1640. Distracts from your credibility.

No it does not distract from my credibility. You wan to play word games and then play the game of we did not exist until the constitution was ratified That's childish and you do this to avoid the issue.

We did not exist as the United States, as you claimed.

We existed as a colony of Great Britain/England.

There was no United States colony of Britain. You wrote U.S. existed in 1640. Distracts from your credibility.

No it does not distract from my credibility. You wan to play word games and then play the game of we did not exist until the constitution was ratified That's childish and you do this to avoid the issue.
It's a matter of language. He is right. The U.S. did not exist in 1640.

You should have said "America."

Tell me something I don't know. But since I did not create this thread to argue whether or not the United States existed formally in 1640 then you are simply wasting space.

Tell me something I don't know. But since I did not create this thread to argue whether or not the United States existed formally in 1640 then you are simply wasting space.

No, but you did make this statement.

Actually the US had slaves beginning in 1640.

the 'United States' did not exist as a country for over a century after your claim.

Portugal, Spain, France, Holland, Britain and Denmark brought African slaves to the New World long before there was a country called the United States.

The colonies declared independence from Great Britain in 1776 but Great Britain did not recognize the U.S. as a country until the matter was officially settled by the Treaty of Paris in 1783. 82 years later after our Civil War, the institution of slavery that was brought to the New World by the above named countries was abolished by the ratification of the 13th amendment. Brazil didn't outlaw slavery until 1888. In the big picture of slavery in the New World, the area that would become the U.S. was not one of the big players. Brazil was the largest importer by far.

So what to the slave is the Fourth of July? It marked the dawn of an era that would see the end of slavery in the United States. Slavery that still exists in many parts of the world.

Country / Destination Slaves Delivered

Brazil - 4,000,000
Spanish Empire - 2,500,000
British West Indies - 2,000,000
French West Indies - 1,600,000
British North America & U.S. - 500,000
Dutch West Indies - 500,000
Danish West Indies - 28,000
Europe - 200,000
Total 11,328,000

http://www.slaverysite.com/Body/facts and figures.htm

What to a slave is July 4th?

A beacon of hope that he may one day be free. That has happened in the U.S.

If the OP really cared about Slavery, he'd spend his ire on the issue of present day slaves...of which there are an estimated 21 Million worldwide (compare that to the aggregate of less than half a million that were imported to North America over 240+ years).

And note, Latin and South America imported over 90% of the slaves from Africa. Why doesn't the OP hold those societies accountable?

Last edited:

It's a matter of language. He is right. The U.S. did not exist in 1640.

You should have said "America."

Again, I know this and I don't care. This thread was not created to argue this and the most important and correct fact I did state was that on July 4th 1776, blacks were not free from any tyranny and that if we cannot discuss slavery or the racism of the founders because it is too long ago, then we should not be celebrating this day that happened 241 years ago. If I am living in the past because i mention slavery and the damages caused to blacks, the you are living in the past by celebrating this day. If we are supposed to be grateful to whites wo did not fight to win our freedom from slavery in the civil war then whites certainly need to be grateful to the slaves who fought in the revolutionary war who gained no freedom after it was done and those slaves who gave their lives whites to be free from Britain. And if no one here was around for slavery, no one today was around on July 4th 1776. So ifi we cannot hold those in the past accountable for their racism we cannot credit them without being hypocrites.

Portugal, Spain, France, Holland, Britain and Denmark brought African slaves to the New World long before there was a country called the United States.

The colonies declared independence from Great Britain in 1776 but Great Britain did not recognize the U.S. as a country until the matter was officially settled by the Treaty of Paris in 1783. 82 years later after our Civil War, the institution of slavery that was brought to the New World by the above named countries was abolished by the ratification of the 13th amendment. Brazil didn't outlaw slavery until 1888. In the big picture of slavery in the New World, the area that would become the U.S. was not one of the big players. Brazil was the largest importer by far.

So what to the slave is the Fourth of July? It marked the dawn of an era that would see the end of slavery in the United States. Slavery that still exists in many parts of the world.

Country / Destination Slaves Delivered

Brazil - 4,000,000
Spanish Empire - 2,500,000
British West Indies - 2,000,000
French West Indies - 1,600,000
British North America & U.S. - 500,000
Dutch West Indies - 500,000
Danish West Indies - 28,000
Europe - 200,000
Total 11,328,000

http://www.slaverysite.com/Body/facts and figures.htm

Many parts of the world did not have documents saying all men are created equal while enslaving people .It did not mark the beginning of anything but 189 years of legalized on paper white oppression on people of color and white male oppression of women.

189 years

slave_trade_1650-1860_b%20-%20www.slaveryinamerica.org.jpg

If the OP really cared about Slavery, he'd spend his ire on the issue of present day slaves...of which there are an estimated 21 Million worldwide (compare that to the aggregate less than half a million that were imported to North America over 240+ years).

And note, Latin and South America imported over 90% of the slaves from Africa. Why doesn't the OP hold those societies accountable?

There never should have been that beacon of hope. Blacks should have been free in July 4th, 1776 just like whites. This is the problem with your arguments. You want to pretend that saying it offered a beacon of hope for freedom for those slaves like is supposed to be a positive that we should be happy for. Why don't I hold those other societies responsible? Because I don't live in those other societies and most of those societies got rid of the colonizers who imported the slaves into those paces in the first place.

You don't get to tell me what I am going to spend my ire on. I live here in America, I am spending my ire on American racism. You aren't interested in todays slavery, You only mention it because I talk about how whites are still practicing racism.

You don't get to tell me what I am going to spend my ire on. I live here in America, I am spending my ire on American racism.

Translation: "I live in the best country in the world to be a POC and I enjoy more opportunity here than any country in the world but instead of taking advantage of my opportunities, I live in a warped fantasy world of self-induced ire."

Well, Happy Fourth of July anyway. You are a very, very fortunate person.

If the OP really cared about Slavery, he'd spend his ire on the issue of present day slaves...of which there are an estimated 21 Million worldwide (compare that to the aggregate less than half a million that were imported to North America over 240+ years).

There never should have been that beacon of hope. Blacks should have been free in July 4th, 1776 just like whites. This is the problem with your arguments. You want to pretend that saying it offered a beacon of hope for freedom for those slaves like is supposed to be a positive that we should be happy for. Why don't I hold those other societies responsible? Because I don't live in those other societies and most of those societies got rid of the colonizers who imported the slaves into those paces in the first place.

You don't get to tell me what I am going to spend my ire on. I live here in America, I am spending my ire on American racism. You aren't interested in todays slavery, You only mention it because I talk about how whites are still practicing racism.

In 1776, slavery was widely practiced througout the world. The Founders based our nation upon principles which caused the abolition of slavery. Sad that you don't appreciate it.

Here, try reading this for some perspective:

Speech on the 150th Anniversary of the Declaration of Independence | Teaching American History

In 1776, slavery was widely practiced througout the world. The Founders based our nation upon principles which caused the abolition of slavery. Sad that you don't appreciate it.

Speech on the 150th Anniversary of the Declaration of Independence | Teaching American History

I am not reading your bullshit. I know what's what. The fact is slavery could have been ended in this nation when the nation started. Not on principles that lead to an end of slavery eventually. I don't have to appreciate that.

BLACKS and the 4th of July......

Why Black people SHOULDN'T celebrate the 4th of july!

The fact could have been ended in this nation when the nation started.

I hear you. Even a casual student of history learns early that history is packed to the brim with shoulda's, coulda's and woulda's. Getting hung up over just one is just a little, well :cuckoo:

Hurts your credibility.

Black People Stop Celebrating The 4th Of July 2016

And one other thing: there were a lot of white slaves/indentured servants in the U.S. as well.

I am not reading your bullshit. I know what's what. The fact is slavery could have been ended in this nation when the nation started. Not on principles that lead to an end of slavery eventually. I don't have to appreciate that.

Oh blah blah blah so sleepy zzzzzzzz

Slavery could have ended by blacks not enslaving blacks in Africa to begin with.

But the didn't do that.

And it's hardly a surprise that you are reluctant to learn anything about actual American history and ideology.

Forum List

Back