🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

What Were We Fighting For?

Well worth it, and it's a great place to live now.

What really struck me at the time W sent the guys in, and he did so cause of the time of year which meant "go now" or leave the troops in the fcking desert for another 9 mos, by which time everyone would be tired and ready to go home .... was how few Dems called W out. Obama was one of them, and we know how that worked out.

Brent Snowcroft courageously said don't do it, but he's a republican. Those who voted against the authorization
Voices From 2002: Senators Who Voted Against War | Democrats.com

But when the invasion actually happened ... I mostly recall silence. It was a profiles in courage moments, and Obama passed the test .... I gotta give him that. Of course perhaps it was just becuse he was a muslim sleeper agent from kenya.

I couldn't help but remember back in 2004 during the thick of the Iraq War, how our men and women fought hard and paid for every inch of ground they took with their life's blood. Today, 10 years later, in Ramadi and Fallujah, places where the fighting was the fiercest and where the most of our troops died, the terrorist group Al Qaeda, that Obama claimed had been "decimated" and put "on the run" has retaken those places with little resistance. Their flags now fly over those cities once again. In Robert Gates' new book Duty, he recalls how Obama's decisions regarding the war were purely political. He recalls a particular disdain for the military in general which exuded from the President. This all leads me to ask, what were we fighting for? Was Obama pulling out of Iraq purely indeed motivated by politics? Did he care that one day that such a pullout would create a power vacuum there? Did he realize he was relinquishing all that our troops fought for back to the enemy?

What were we fighting for? What on Earth were we doing there, if not to win? It's saddening to know that our president thinks so little of our men and women, to end a war prematurely and give up everything they fought hard and died for, simply to put himself in a better political position to trounce his rivals. Why did he have military advisers if he was simply going to ignore them as he did Mr. Gates? I fail to understand how a man can have simply no commitment to the efforts his men and women in uniform are putting in overseas. I'm a Libertarian, and I don't take too kindly to foreign intervention in the first place. But I was also taught as a boy, "If you start a fight son, you finish it."

What were we fighting for? Nothing it seems, nothing but the political gains of one man. My Father fought in the first Iraq war, and I can tell you the he is none too happy to see what he fought for, risked life and limb for--- gone; taken back by the enemy. What were we really fighting for? You tell me.

LINO Libertarian in name only. Come on Templar, you know tou are just a Neo-Con calling yourself a libertarian because it's the easiest way to take no responsibility for anything that happens.

That's gonna leave a mark! :lol:

Real libertarians would despise the Tea Party, which you stated you are a member of. The Tea Party sold out long ago to corporate intrests and the Republican machine.

The tea party ARE the corporate interest.

The fact is that Liberals warned that Republicans were not going to be able to impose democracy on another country.

And Liberals were correct, once again.

Like all those liberals who voted for the war, and continually voted to fund it?

I agree few liberals passed the profiles in courage moment .... BUT once the troops are in the field, you don't cut off their bullets ... or call them baby killers. Or protest in London.

The fact is that Liberals warned that Republicans were not going to be able to impose democracy on another country.

Like all those liberals who voted for the war, and continually voted to fund it?

Liberals didn't vote for the Iraq War.

Now say something stupid, like "Hillary voted for it".

Liberals didn't vote for the Iraq War.

Now say something stupid, like "Hillary voted for it".

Oh, my mistake. I thought the Democratic Party was supposed to be the liberal party.

I agree few liberals passed the profiles in courage moment .... BUT once the troops are in the field, you don't cut off their bullets ... or call them baby killers. Or protest in London.

Explain the bolded, please. Is it just typed awkwardly?

I posted a link to those who did not vote for the authorization in another thread. However, I did NOT say THAT was a profiles in courage moment. Personally, I approved of the notion that we needed an authorization of sorts to go to the UN. At the time, I had no doubt that at least a good number of dems viewed this as an expediency, because they suspected, rightly, that W would never ask for another vote before invading. That is, opposing authorization was politically risky, because at that pt, sanctions/military threat had not forced Saddam to allow inspections, and the public was sold on making sure Saddam didn't have smallpox. EDIT - PLUS THE DEMS DID NOT WANT TO APPEAR WEAK IN CASE W PULLED OFF AN INVASION AND THE IRAQIS GREETED US WITH FLOWERS AND GROUP HUGS. Of course, it turned out that saddam was no more dangerous to the US than Somalia. Still, the vote for authorization is logically defensible, since it helped lead to the sanctions/military threat that did force Saddam to open up.

What I believe was the moment in courage moment was after Blix and El-Baradi found NOTHING beyond lost precursors with a short shelf life and perhaps some aging artillary shells. There was no active nuclear or biological program that posed a threat. There were no WOMD, and W KNEW it when he sent the troops in. (and that was the end of me voting for the House of Bush, btw)

I don't recall who, at the time W was revving up the diesels, said 'Now hold on here, why are we doing this." I believe Obama was one of those few who did raise an objection, and who passed the courage test.

I don't think he's a good potus though, but credit where its due, imo.

Last edited:

I am sure you meant to say "liberals" and Libertarians were correct, once again.

Yes, you are correct. True Libertarians also warned against it.

Many conservatives were opposed to the stupid Iraq war, you are just lying pretending that all republicans and conservatives supported that fiasco.

The zero sum ratio clearly reveals any further involvement in Iraq will lead only to further loss.

The eventual outcome is leaning to Iraq allied to Iran and opposed to our interests in the ME.

The zero sum ratio clearly reveals any further involvement in Iraq will lead only to further loss.

The eventual outcome is leaning to Iraq allied to Iran and opposed to our interests in the ME.

Our interests in the ME.........Comrade Starkiev - last I checked Mesopotamia had not joined the union. We still have 50 states.

Or are you a Zionist from Russia?

Forum List

Back