What would Jesus have looked like?

Searcher44

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2015
Vancouver, British Columbia
If there was a historical man that the stories and gospels were based on he probably looked something like this, a typical Jew from the first Century C.E.

forensic-jesus-bbc-son-of-god.jpg
A dark complexioned 5' 1" 110 pound fellow. Hints in the bible suggests he would have shorter hair than usually depicted. He was probably robed and the typical Jew would have been hygienic, usually clean of body. The evidence for that is the large number of public and private baths found by archeologists. After forty days in the desert of course one would be in need of a bath.

In the light of today's modern demographics this "runt' wouldn't inspire too much reverence in your modern Christian. Doesn't look the type to cast out demons or rampage through the money lenders.The more ideal figure would be more like this;

images
Tall and fair skinned, bigger than life probably and with an aura about him. I won't asked you to pick your favorite.

ITT: Liberal Hatred of Christianity on full display.

I'm not to believe what's written in the Bible because of a depiction of what Jesus may have looked like. Or DOES look like.

Ok fine. Go with that.

There are a few actual from life Greek/Roman style marble "busts" of ancient jews------none of them looked anything like that. The person would probably be about
5' 5" -----the hair just a bit longer BUT shorn-------not as long as the Jesus depictions.........the beard UNCUT (most likely), the head covered. They wore
a dress like thing and probably were barefoot most of the time----generally when going about the world they would have an outer garment thing like a "mantle" hanging off the shoulder and/or another thing that ended in four corners ----like a top shirt

He probably looked "average" for the time and place. He was able to blend into a crowd and apparently was not notable at all.

John 5:13 “Now the man who had been healed did not know who it was, for Jesus had withdrawn, as there was a crowd in the place.”

Luke 4:30 “but he slipped away through the crowd and left them.”

John 7:11 “The Jews were looking for him at the feast, and saying, “Where is he?”

John 11:56 “They were looking for Jesus and saying to one another as they stood in the temple, “What do you think? That he will not come to the feast at all?”

He probably looked "average" for the time and place. He was able to blend into a crowd and apparently was not notable at all.

John 5:13 “Now the man who had been healed did not know who it was, for Jesus had withdrawn, as there was a crowd in the place.”

John 7:11 “The Jews were looking for him at the feast, and saying, “Where is he?”

John 11:56 “They were looking for Jesus and saying to one another as they stood in the temple, “What do you think? That he will not come to the feast at all?”

no one knows who john was and Luke never met Jesus. It seems that according to "JOHN" whoever he was------"THE JEWS" knew what Jesus looked like.
I am always confused by allusions to "the jews" in the NT-------I have never
been around jewish celebrations or events during which time other jews----or other
people referred to the general group as "DA JOOOOS"

no one knows who john was and Luke never met Jesus. It seems that according to "JOHN" whoever he was------"THE JEWS" knew what Jesus looked like. I am always confused by allusions to "the jews" in the NT-------I have never been around jewish celebrations or events during which time other jews----or other people referred to the general group as "DA JOOOOS"
Comment about John and Luke does not meet thread. The commentary has to do with others' reactions to Jesus' movement.

no one knows who john was and Luke never met Jesus. It seems that according to "JOHN" whoever he was------"THE JEWS" knew what Jesus looked like. I am always confused by allusions to "the jews" in the NT-------I have never been around jewish celebrations or events during which time other jews----or other people referred to the general group as "DA JOOOOS"
Comment about John and Luke does not meet thread. The commentary has to do with others' reactions to Jesus' movement.

what "others"? A writing by Luke---who never met Jesus describing
the idea that "the jooos" would recognize jesus------interests me------
especially since the circumstance described seems to be a meeting of jews.
I tend to GET INTO books. Ie LIVE IN THEM------I imagine a whole bunch of
jews during a holiday---in some temple------and a non jew commenting on
'JESUS AS A NO SHOW' which to you seems to indicate that THE JOOS
knew him by appearance. I doubt that Luke knew him by appearance, He certainly did not hear them complaining about the absence of Jesus.
I have been in synagogues during holidays-------and did not recognize by
name or by appearance EVERYONE. It seems to me that your point
is that Jesus was VERY VERY famous.... could be. I still find the characterization
of the general crowd in a synagogue on a jewish holiday as "DA JOOOOS"
kinda awkward. I have been in churches------Had I described the proceedings
of MIDNITE MASS------to anyone----I do not imagine that I would discuss the
people there as "THE CATHOLICS" Perhaps you can help me to understand
just what LUKE was saying.

what "others"? A writing by Luke---who never met Jesus describing
the idea that "the jooos" would recognize jesus------interests me------
especially since the circumstance described seems to be a meeting of jews.
I tend to GET INTO books. Ie LIVE IN THEM------I imagine a whole bunch of
jews during a holiday---in some temple------and a non jew commenting on
'JESUS AS A NO SHOW' which to you seems to indicate that THE JOOS
knew him by appearance. I doubt that Luke knew him by appearance, He certainly did not hear them complaining about the absence of Jesus.
I have been in synagogues during holidays-------and did not recognize by
name or by appearance EVERYONE. It seems to me that your point
is that Jesus was VERY VERY famous.... could be. I still find the characterization
of the general crowd in a synagogue on a jewish holiday as "DA JOOOOS"
kinda awkward. I have been in churches------Had I described the proceedings
of MIDNITE MASS------to anyone----I do not imagine that I would discuss the
people there as "THE CATHOLICS" Perhaps you can help me to understand
just what LUKE was saying.
Irosie, you are being silly. Get over it. I have never accepted your quarrelsomeness and am not about to do now.

I did not quarrel about anything------I read books with interest------writings
that are considered VERY IMPORTANT-----have meaning. Thomas Jefferson
worked HARD ON THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE-----and the
first continental congress quibbled over every word

I'm not to believe what's written in the Bible because of a depiction of what Jesus may have looked like. Or DOES look like.

Ok fine. Go with that.

Why would a probably more accurate guess of what this Jesus looked like stop you from holding whatever beliefs in the bible you have?

Ok fine. Go with that.

Why would a probably more accurate guess of what this Jesus looked like stop you from holding whatever beliefs in the bible you have?

people have been doing "what did jesus look like" for years. It is a silly
exercise. Leave GOOD ENOUGH ALONE------Michelangelo knew well
enough-------I do not like the GUESSES------Mary should sue

Ok fine. Go with that.

anti Christians are adamant that Christ looked like an ugly retard. Really your petty hatred knows no bounds.

Jesus had long blond hair and blue eyes

I thought that was MARY-----Jesus was a kind of honey blond----ie little brownish----long with a part in the middle and he always held a lamb

It is also well documented that Jesus spoke with a British accent

he didn't speak Yiddish? I do have a real question for the theologians and
experts. Was Jesus a carpenter, or a fisherman, or a shepherd?. In those
days everyone had to be able to do something to make a little bitsy living.
His parents were CLEARLY not wealthy

Ok fine. Go with that.
anti Christians are adamant that Christ looked like an ugly retard. Really your petty hatred knows no bounds.
Jesus looked like a Jew of his day. Good heavens. This is not hard, folks.

Did I hear KosherFlake mumble?

This makes Jesus sound really short. Like really, really short.

Forum List

Back