What's it gonna take for this to end, people?

Mentally ill people are less likely to commit violent crimes, acting like they are a problem is actually incredibly ignorant, especially since the data is freely available to you. There's really no excuse.
I'm curious, why do all the mass murderers in America seem to have a history of it? Regardless of what was used to kill?
I'm going to pretend that you didn't just cut out the vast majority of my response, choosing not to respond to it. Usually when someone does that, it gives me the feeling that they're not actually interested in honest discussion.

Because mental illness is completely arbitrary, as I've been explaining to Billy. Being depressed is a mental illness, not wanting to follow the directions of an "authority figure" is considered a mental illness, etc. Besides that, when anything is covered in the state-run media, it's to push the agenda of the Government, so in many cases it'll either be a false flag, or misinformation will be attached. A good example is the recent Walmart shooting, where the guy apparently changed clothes before being caught, and managed to shoot 30 people, with a 30 round gun, with no spare ammo on him.

I don't believe anything I see or hear from the corporate media, thus, I haven't watched it in years.

You have peaked my curiosity.

"A good example is the recent Walmart shooting, where the guy apparently changed clothes before being caught, and managed to shoot 30 people, with a 30 round gun, with no spare ammo on him."

I respect you as one of the more intelligent posters on this board, how do you come by this analysis? :dunno:

Mental disorders are defined by being pervasive and a pattern in behavior. If the behavior causes chronic distress to the afflicted or to those around him or her long term, it is considered a disorder. That is how mental disorders are defined.
That's incredibly arbitrary, and Oppositional Defiant Disorder is a perfect example of that. There's no actual basis for normal behavior, since every single individual is different. All that needs to be done is to pick out behavior loosely considered strange, then attach a label to it.

Besides, the mentally ill are only being used as scape goats, they're LESS likely to hurt anyone, and MORE likely to be victims, actually most likely to hurt themselves rather than anyone else.
ODD is based on a pattern of pervasive behavior that causes long term distress for the person and causes distress in the people around them. No one is suggesting that a kid simply throwing a tantrum has ODD. It’s measured by how often it happens and what sort of problems it creates.
Once again, that's completely arbitrary. Any behavior can cause distress in those around a person, or the person themselves. Since there's no basis for normal, as normal doesn't exist, anyone can pick out a pattern of behavior and attach a label for it. A good example is a person laughing when they're nervous; Since a person can get nervous at any time, people around them can find the behavior disturbing, especially when it happens at inappropriate times. Someone can arbitrarily decide that this is a mental disorder.
Disorders are defined as pervasive, long term, and create distress in those afflicted and/or those around them. You can define “normal” however you want beyond that I guess.
Riveting, you've told me the same thing three times. You really should read a person's post instead of repeating yourself over and over.

Regardless of how many times you repeat to me what you've been told, that's STILL completely arbitrary and can be said for any behavior, I even gave you a goddamn example. I swear, if you keep ignoring my posts and repeating yourself, I'll just start screenshotting my messages and reposting them.Nobody likes how you just talk at people instead of to them, it defeats the purpose of talking on a message board. Go start a damn blog or something.

Not to worry, according to Billy000's definition, I have now determined that he has a mental disorder and should be relieved of his constitutional rights, not only bear arms, but also to his right to free speech as it poses a danger to the impressionable in the community. We need to lock him away in a dark cell for the safety of the community.

:71:

But there is no such thing as an assault rifle that you are referencing.

No there isn't. My soldier dad just educated me on the subject.

So, what would you rather call them? Machine guns?

I didn't know I was going to cause this much chaos with just two words.
No they are guns, you are against gun ownership, it’s one pull trigger just like hand guns. But longer and harder to carry ..90% of gun deaths are done BY HAND GUNS.

Okay, time to end this thread.

I made arguments for both sides.

One side or the other only focused on the arguments I made for the opposing viewpoint, not on the ones I made supporting theirs.

Truly confounding.

The problem isn't the guns, it's the people. The sanctity of human life has been devalued by leftists.

Hardly anyone has an "assault rifle".

Owning an assault rifle requires a Class III license.

Taking both sides in an argument doesn't make sense, naturally, to those who are hopelessly biased to one viewpoint or another.

I made the constitutional and statistical case for gun ownership in multiple posts.

I also gave the basis why mentally unstable individuals should be restricted from owning a firearm ... in multiple posts.

I got nowhere.

My mistake.

The problem isn't the guns, it's the people. The sanctity of human life has been devalued by leftists.

So, what does the law classify as an assault rifle? I, and primarily Jitss would like to know. Seemingly there is no such thing as an "assault rifle".

So, what does the law classify as an assault rifle? I, and primarily Jitss would like to know. Seemingly there is no such thing as an "assault rifle".

A select-fire rifle capable of full-auto fire.

Reopening Mental Hospitals would go a long way. Other countries operate Sanitariums.

Proper Mental health care would have prevented Adam Lanza and Nikolas Cruz from hurting people.

Neither of them belonged out in free society.

My conclusion:

There is no solution. Neither side wants one.
Yet other economically advanced countries demonstrate the solution everyday. 'No solution'!

Those other nations are living with the illusion that they are still "open societies."

They aren't.

When the Boogaloo hits, those so called "economically advanced countries" can be turned into closed societies in a heart beat.

This is what bothers the ruling global elites. While the USA has the 2A and large scale civilian gun ownership, turning America into a closed society will be a little more difficult.

Reopening Mental Hospitals would go a long way. Other countries operate Sanitariums.

That's what my father says. He knows, he owns an AR-15. He's a a gun aficionado. He's been around weaponry long enough to tell the difference.

Curious about one thing though. What good would the mental hospitals be if we don't strengthen our mental health system?

Would we not be hitting at the root of this problem by revamping our mental health system?

That's what my father says. He knows, he owns an AR-15. He's a a gun aficionado. He's been around weaponry long enough to tell the difference.

Curious about one thing though. What good would the mental hospitals be if we don't strengthen our mental health system?

Would we not be hitting at the root of this problem by revamping our mental health system?

We would be, but someone has to speak up and make it happen.

It needs to be run at the state level, too, because anything the Fed touches turns to crap.

OKTexas Like I said, there seems to be no clear cut solution to this problem. Even with preferred elected officials in our government we still cannot get the solutions we want to pass, nor are there any willing to enforce existing law.

So, what are we left with? An impasse that nobody is willing to breach.

I'm comfortable with the law we have, enforcement is the key. Unfortunately the trend now days seems to be softening punishment instead of holding criminals responsible.

we still cannot get the solutions we want to pass
First don't include me in that ubiquitous "we", but what would you like to see passed, be specific.

Forgive me, I have transgressed on your sensibilities.

What I want passed are laws pertaining to mental health (see post #2). If there are loopholes that exist in our gun laws, close them. But alas, that will be met with resistance too. Essentially, our government is powerless to do anything. Either for lack of want for enforcing existing law, or for amending them to account for mental illness.

Is it wrong of me to want this all done without infringing on the constitutional rights of others? Or am I being naive?

"Either for lack of want for enforcing existing law"

BINGO!

The government has no desire to curb existing gun violence or create workable solutions?

Don't you understand why time after time we see these incidents could have been prevented if the existing law had just been enforced? And then the media tries to get YOU to want more laws passed, after the existing law had not been enforced?

It isn't about getting these incidents reduced for the rulers.

It is about stripping the people of their freedom. THEY DON'T WANT SOLUTIONS. I already told you that in post #4 :45:

Shouldn't it be self-evident to you now? :dunno:

First, I suggest strengthening laws involving people diagnosed with DSM-IV disorders which include anger management. People like me. I am noticing a trend in which the shooter was triggered by a negative life event or by reckless political rhetoric. Political rhetoric can spark uncontrollable anger in some, leading to what happened in El Paso.

In Odessa, the killer was fired from his job just hours before his rampage.

Do you not see the correlation? An inability to control negative thoughts and emotions. Mental illness.

My solution isn't perfect, I know. But we need to start somewhere. Start with mental health.

A mea culpa of sorts:

Although the Odessa killer failed a background check due to his mental health, he obtained an illegally crafted firearm from an illegal private seller.

I am retracting the comment that he "exploited a loophole". He flat out ignored our existing gun laws.

So, what good are more laws going to do? Can anyone tell me before I pass out at my desk?

First, I suggest strengthening laws involving people diagnosed with DSM-IV disorders which include anger management. People like me. I am noticing a trend in which the shooter was triggered by a negative life event or by reckless political rhetoric. Political rhetoric can spark uncontrollable anger in some, leading to what happened in El Paso.

In Odessa, the killer was fired from his job just hours before his rampage.

Do you not see the correlation? An inability to control negative thoughts and emotions. Mental illness.

My solution isn't perfect, I know. But we need to start somewhere. Start with mental health.

A mea culpa of sorts:

Although the Odessa killer failed a background check due to his mental health, he obtained an illegally crafted firearm from an illegal private seller.

I am retracting the comment that he "exploited a loophole". He flat out ignored our existing gun laws.

So, what good are more laws going to do? Can anyone tell me before I pass out at my desk?

None. We need to get people to stop being so selfish and to respect others more.

Forum List

Back