What's it gonna take for this to end, people?

OKTexas Like I said, there seems to be no clear cut solution to this problem. Even with preferred elected officials in our government we still cannot get the solutions we want to pass, nor are there any willing to enforce existing law.

So, what are we left with? An impasse that nobody is willing to breach.

I'm comfortable with the law we have, enforcement is the key. Unfortunately the trend now days seems to be softening punishment instead of holding criminals responsible.

we still cannot get the solutions we want to pass
First don't include me in that ubiquitous "we", but what would you like to see passed, be specific.

OKTexas Like I said, there seems to be no clear cut solution to this problem. Even with preferred elected officials in our government we still cannot get the solutions we want to pass, nor are there any willing to enforce existing law.

So, what are we left with? An impasse that nobody is willing to breach.

I'm comfortable with the law we have, enforcement is the key. Unfortunately the trend now days seems to be softening punishment instead of holding criminals responsible.

we still cannot get the solutions we want to pass
First don't include me in that ubiquitous "we", but what would you like to see passed, be specific.

Forgive me, I have transgressed on your sensibilities.

What I want passed are laws pertaining to mental health (see post #2). If there are loopholes that exist in our gun laws, close them. But alas, that will be met with resistance too. Essentially, our government is powerless to do anything. Either for lack of want for enforcing existing law, or for amending them to account for mental illness.

Is it wrong of me to want this all done without infringing on the constitutional rights of others? Or am I being naive?

Last edited:
‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens
PARKLAND, FL—In the hours following a violent rampage in Florida in which a lone attacker killed 17 individuals and seriously injured over a dozen others, citizens living in the only country where this kind of mass killing routinely occurs reportedly concluded Wednesday that there was no way to prevent the massacre from taking place. “This was a terrible tragedy, but sometimes these things just happen and there’s nothing anyone can do to stop them,” said Indiana resident Harold Turner, echoing sentiments expressed by tens of millions of individuals who reside in a nation where over half of the world’s deadliest mass shootings have occurred in the past 50 years and whose citizens are 20 times more likely to die of gun violence than those of other developed nations. “It’s a shame, but what can we do? There really wasn’t anything that was going to keep this individual from snapping and killing a lot of people if that’s what they really wanted.” At press time, residents of the only economically advanced nation in the world where roughly two mass shootings have occurred every month for the past eight years were referring to themselves and their situation as “helpless.”
Either you don't want to compromise, or you do and you want to take that compromise entirely too far.

THIS is why we can't get anything done. Whether it be enforcing existing law or passing new ones. Nobody is serious about this.

Also, the United States is a unique Constitutional Republic. We don't have an obligation to be like the rest of the world. If you want to be, go be part of that Utopian world you dream of. It is not your right to take us with you.

Also, the United States is a unique Constitutional Republic. We don't have an obligation to be like the rest of the world.
As though other republics don't have constitutions. It is true you uniquely consider the regular slaughter of your citizens an acceptable price to pay for easy access to handguns and assault style rifles. Truly exceptional.

Is it wrong of me to want this all done without infringing on the constitutional rights of others?
Regulating firearm ownership is constitutional. Even Scalia said the right to bear arms is not unfettered.

Pre-Crime? Red flag laws? Can somebody's mental health state be legislated? Can somebody's intentions be pre-determined?
When Walmart bans carrying guns in their stores, who will be bringing guns into Walmart? The good guys for protection, or the bad guys for mass murder?
No easy answers here. I can only add that taking guns away from folks who have them exclusively for self defense is not the answer.
Maybe there are people who are using firearms for self defense, that are proven to be mentally unstable.

Do you want them to have any firearms if they are prone to commit suicide? Do you want them to have any firearms if they are proven to be a safety risk to others?

Where is the cutoff? When do we say "it isn't okay for you to have a gun"?
It's irrelevant if someone commits suicide with a gun and should not be part of the discussion.

In the history of our nation we have banned ...

Alcohol, recreational drugs, books with naughty words, and unpasteurized cheeses.

Did those bans make any of those things go away?
all it did was create criminals

Is it wrong of me to want this all done without infringing on the constitutional rights of others?
Regulating firearm ownership is constitutional. Even Scalia said the right to bear arms is not unfettered.

Surely you don't think me stupid.

Heller upheld the right to bear arms. Not all arms, but arms within reasonable means. Rifles, handguns, knives. He was referring to things like bazookas, grenades, anti-personnel weapons, or things a person can't reasonably use or obtain.

No, nope. Nuh-uh. I know where the rights stop, and it isn't where you seem to think they do.

Pre-Crime? Red flag laws? Can somebody's mental health state be legislated? Can somebody's intentions be pre-determined?
When Walmart bans carrying guns in their stores, who will be bringing guns into Walmart? The good guys for protection, or the bad guys for mass murder?
No easy answers here. I can only add that taking guns away from folks who have them exclusively for self defense is not the answer.
Maybe there are people who are using firearms for self defense, that are proven to be mentally unstable.

Do you want them to have any firearms if they are prone to commit suicide? Do you want them to have any firearms if they are proven to be a safety risk to others?

It's irrelevant if someone commits suicide with a gun and should not be part of the discussion.

Eh? So it is okay for someone like me, a mentally unstable person, who has attempted suicide twice in his life, to get a gun?

Make it easier for me to kill myself?

The thought sickens me.

Why do you think people don't have a right to commit suicide?

If you think no one has the right to decide whether they live or die then doesn't that make your support of any other right a little contradictory?

Eh? So it is okay for someone like me, a mentally unstable person, who has attempted suicide twice in his life, to get a gun?

The thought sickens me.
There are literally thousands of other ways to kill yourself why do you think a gun is your only option?

Also, the United States is a unique Constitutional Republic. We don't have an obligation to be like the rest of the world.
As though other republics don't have constitutions. It is true you uniquely consider the regular slaughter of your citizens an acceptable price to pay for easy access to handguns and assault style rifles. Truly exceptional.

Right. And what would America be without a constitution? Take a guess.

One other thing, educate yourself on American politics before commenting further.

"Regular slaughter" you say?

America has 330 million people living in it. On average, per the CDC, 11,000 people die either by homicide or suicide via firearm.

I'll do the math.

That 11,000 is 0.0033% of all deaths in the country. Nevermind cancer, heart attacks, or obesity.

You know nothing.

Right. And what would America be without a constitution? Take a guess.
Possibly like other countries without written constitutions and with low rates of mass murder.

You might like living under the thumb of government where you can't even be free to speak but most Americans wouldn't stand for it.

IMO it's a mental disorder to beg to be controlled by the government. It's caused by being raised with sheep

DISCLAIMER: This opinion in no way indicates my support or lack thereof of an assault weapons ban.

Now the opinion.

I feel that if you have an assault weapon, you should be able to keep it once a potential assault weapons ban goes into effect. However, if one were to take effect, you shouldn't be able buy any more. It seems like to me you are not being prevented from bearing the arms you purchased previously.

KEEP READING

On the other hand, the muskets and other long rifles used during the Revolutionary War were essentially what assault rifles are today: the top of the line weapons of their era. Presumably, the founders foresaw the use of even more advanced rifles for self defense by the citizenry, hence the Second Amendment.

So, two arguments. One question:

Is there a middle ground? What compromise can we reach to stop crazed mass shooters?

And no "enforce the laws we already have" wont work this time. The Odessa shooter exploited a loophole to get the weapon he murdered those people with.

Molon Abe? Please. Come and take them? Please. Stop trying to be the tough guy/gal you aren't.

Declare the NRA (and thus all 5.5 million of its members) as a domestic terror group like the city of San Francisco just did? Please. PLEASE. What the actual f**k man? Put your fake emotions away, you aren't convincing anyone.

Be reminded that if I have an opinion of my own on this subject, I will share it. Do not apply opinions to me. If you do, you will be ignored, immediately. Thank you, kindly.

Okay, let the cage match begin.
What is an assault weapon? Can you edit and leave out anti gun propaganda?

The thought sickens me.
There are literally thousands of other ways to kill yourself why do you think a gun is your only option?

Easy, I would like it quick and painless. What am I going to do, commit ritual suicide like a samurai or something? A gun to the head is the best way. The human brain can't process pain. My body won't have enough time to feel the pain, or know the pain once the insides of my skull are splattered on a nearby wall. I wouldn't bother with knives or a high jump off a bridge or cliff. Too much time for fear to set in before I leave this mortal plane.

Graphic enough for you? I have contemplated suicide. I have thought of at least a hundred ways to kill myself. I sought help for that, and willingly gave up any hope of owning a firearm for my own safety and the safety of others.

This is why I don't own a gun. This is why I know mentally unstable people should not be allowed to have guns either.

But, I guess there isn't an effective process for keeping the guns out of the hands of crazies, is there? We won't enforce the existing mental health restrictions on buying firearms, and passing more laws are useless if we won't enforce them.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back