What's stopping you....

A saturated employers market, if I were to stay in my current field. Couple that with employers utilizing the employee saturation to significantly reduce pay grades, and shovel on more responsibility at the same time.

As for my own business venture, I missed the boat. Real estate, thanks to the federal government, is not the place I'd pursue at this time. On top of that, venture capital isn't earning much interest due to the federal reserves zero interest policies. So expending what I have, at my age and with what I currently have, is a little more risky than I'm willing to waltz with.

Last edited:
It's like this:

Money is nothing more than a claim on the labor of others. The more money you possess, the more labor you can claim; therefore, accumulation of money represents a need/desire to control others. Some of us are not strongly motivated to control others.

There is a reason why successful entrepreneurs have a higher incidence of sociopathy.

What are you doing if you aren't making as much money as you can. Not to go Gecko on you, but greed is in fact good. It allows you more opportunity to share time with your family and provides children with a chance for a nice future. I don't wish to control others, I just wish to control the future of my life and my future child's life. Greed today isnt the same kind of greed. My generation has a ton of expenses. The gov't is going to bleed me dry for the next 50 years so I gotta make money.

Don't be so defensive. I don't give a fuck what you do, or how much time you spend with your family. But the fact is . . . "none of this matters a bit." And that is the truth, porkchop.

I'll say it again . . . money is a claim on labor. Nothing more, although some unwittingly elevate money to levels that display status and class--but status and class are ultimately a function of how many people you control.

Just because you say it again does not mean it is the truth.

And again I'll ask you do you think that people who save for retirement are doing so out of a sociopathic need to control people?

No one controls anyone else. You and anyone else are free to change jobs, move to anothet town, city , state or country. If you were controlled by people with more money than you you would not be able to so that would you?

It's like this:

Money is nothing more than a claim on the labor of others. The more money you possess, the more labor you can claim; therefore, accumulation of money represents a need/desire to control others. Some of us are not strongly motivated to control others.

There is a reason why successful entrepreneurs have a higher incidence of sociopathy.

What are you doing if you aren't making as much money as you can. Not to go Gecko on you, but greed is in fact good. It allows you more opportunity to share time with your family and provides children with a chance for a nice future. I don't wish to control others, I just wish to control the future of my life and my future child's life. Greed today isnt the same kind of greed. My generation has a ton of expenses. The gov't is going to bleed me dry for the next 50 years so I gotta make money.

Don't be so defensive. I don't give a fuck what you do, or how much time you spend with your family. But the fact is . . . "none of this matters a bit." And that is the truth, porkchop.

Im not being defensive at all. Hard to convey tone via a key board, but I can see you assumed that. It does matter though. Where would you be without any personal wealth?

It's like this:

Money is nothing more than a claim on the labor of others. The more money you possess, the more labor you can claim;

I disagree. Those that trade their labor for dollars are not compelled to so. It is their freely chosen method of earning.

The only claim upon anyone is one they voluntarily place upon themselves

therefore, accumulation of money represents a need/desire to control others. Some of us are not strongly motivated to control others.

SO in your mind anyo9ne that saves for retirement is doing so out of a sociopathic need to control people?

If you save for retirement, you have the ability to eat (the dollar claims the labor output of agricultural workers), to stay warm or cool (the dollar claims the labor output of utility workers), and to get health care (the dollar claims the labor output of health care industry workers).

No big mystery, folks.

The dollar does not claim anyone or anything it is a medium of free and voluntary exchange.

The claim is not the dollar but the voluntary agreement to use the dollar as the medium of exchange for goods and services.

And I would like to get this thread back on topic.

What is stopping you from earning and saving more?

I'll say it again . . . money is a claim on labor. Nothing more, although some unwittingly elevate money to levels that display status and class--but status and class are ultimately a function of how many people you control.

This isn't a tough issue, folks. Money is a claim on labor. It always has been. That's ECON101!!

Also, poor hapless "martybegan," this is not a political or ideological issue. It is a concept in economics. Sorry if this tilts your ideological slant.

ALSO, I didn't infer that this implies forced labor. I only state that money is a claim on labor.

Money is a medium of exchange for goods and services and a store of value. It isn't a "claim" to anything, as no one is forced to participate in your exchanges.

Im not being defensive at all. Hard to convey tone via a key board, but I can see you assumed that. It does matter though. Where would you be without any personal wealth?

I'm doing great, thanks. I love my work, I love my wife, I love my friends. Each moment is wondrous. My responses were basically replying to the initial OP premise that everyone could/should work more/harder to accrue more dollars. It isn't a fact at all for those that live truly full lives.

And again I'll ask you do you think that people who save for retirement are doing so out of a sociopathic need to control people?

No one controls anyone else. You and anyone else are free to change jobs, move to anothet town, city , state or country. If you were controlled by people with more money than you you would not be able to so that would you?

The need for money is what creates labor; if people do not contribute labor, they do not live comfortably. So they are complelled to work. It is true in an aggregate sense. Don't get bogged down in anecdotal propositions.

Nobody controls anyone else? Do you actually believe that? That's a stupid idea. We all cede a certain level of control in exchange for money.

I'm doing great, thanks. I love my work, I love my wife, I love my friends. Each moment is wondrous. My responses were basically replying to the initial OP premise that everyone could/should work more/harder to accrue more dollars. It isn't a fact at all for those that live truly full lives.

That was your inference. Please do not mistake that for my reasons for asking a simple question.

The reason i asked the question is that there are a plethora of threads on this site bemoaning the unfair distribution of wealth because the so called rich are sticking it to the so called poor.

So I ask what is stopping any of you from earning and saving more.

If your answer is that you don't want to earn or save more that's fine with me just don't blame anyone else for your financial condition.

The need for money is what creates labor; if people do not contribute labor, they do not live comfortably. So they are complelled to work. It is true in an aggregate sense. Don't get bogged down in anecdotal propositions.

Nobody controls anyone else? Do you actually believe that? That's a stupid idea. We all cede a certain level of control in exchange for money.

The need for money does not create labor.

Labor existed before money was used as a medium of exchange.

The dollar does not claim anyone or anything it is a medium of free and voluntary exchange.

The claim is not the dollar but the voluntary agreement to use the dollar as the medium of exchange for goods and services.

I've already responde to your OP. Your premise is poorly phrased, because you assume that everyone shares your obsession with "earning and saving more." That simply is not true.

Also, what defines the true VALUE of a dollar? In other words, why does a dollar have value? Perhaps I can walk you through this.

Well I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I wasn't talking about your happiness, no offense but I dont really care. I'm just saying for America to be great again we need to take a few steps away from the "money doesn't buy happiness" line of thinking. Let's get it together, work a little harder, make a few more bucks and maybe we could bring this nation back. Complacency will ruin us.

I've already responde to your OP. Your premise is poorly phrased, because you assume that everyone shares your obsession with "earning and saving more." That simply is not true.

So you label it an obsession. I am not obsessed with money. I am however curious as to why so many people don't improve their financial state but yet want to blame others for it.

Wrong, money is the store of value of exchange for the expendiure energy, i.e - labor. Money is the compensation, based on voluntary exchange for products or service, for expending energy. the only place that this doesn't apply is in government, because they steal to produce. Or in economics, are a non-productive entity.

So you label it an obsession. I am not obsessed with money. I am however curious as to why so many people don't improve their financial state but yet want to blame others for it.

Its the mentality that has flourished since the end of the 80's. As long as you're happy dont worry about money. Also, when you want to retire, all of those kids who are working their asses off will pay for whatever you need. That thinking needed to stop yesterday. I can only pray to God that my career leads to into a substantial political spot where I can say, "If you didnt make enough money in your life, than you don't get to retire at 65." Sorry, its nothing personal, but I cannot afford to pay for your medical expenses for twenty years. If you can retire comfortably without much aid, then good for you, you did your job. If you cannot and still want to piggy back off of us youngsters, well you have another thing coming to you.

That was your inference. Please do not mistake that for my reasons for asking a simple question.

The reason i asked the question is that there are a plethora of threads on this site bemoaning the unfair distribution of wealth because the so called rich are sticking it to the so called poor.

So I ask what is stopping any of you from earning and saving more.

If your answer is that you don't want to earn or save more that's fine with me just don't blame anyone else for your financial condition.

Many "poor" folks are extremely happy. In fact, some of the poorest nations in the world are happier in aggregate than Americans. Americans are (relatively speaking) more stressed and "unhappy" than other nations. IOW, money does not equal happiness.

I don't actually know who you are shouting at here. I'm quite happy with my financial circumstances.

Problems arise when wealth concentrates in the hands of a very few people. Do you recall feudalism in your history books? That is what it looks like when a few people control virtually all of the wealth, and that's why it is a bad thing. Any successful and sustainable economic system must have a way of controlling wealth concentration. Hell, even Adam Smith agreed with that idea.

Wrong, money is the store of value of exchange for the expendiure energy, i.e - labor. Money is the compensation, based on voluntary exchange for products or service, for expending energy. the only place that this doesn't apply is in government, because they steal to produce. Or in economics, are a non-productive entity.

I think "expending energy" is another way of referring to labor.

Wow, you could have really saved time and energy by simply saying "I'm comfortable with my situation." Or not posted in the thread at all. Instead, you went on a page long tirade regarding false notions of economics.

it reminds me of my current office environment. Far more waste and mis-management of time than actual productivity.

I think "expending energy" is another way of referring to labor.

Yeah, i believe I put that in there, fella. Still, your notions of economics are way off.

Forum List

Back