What's up with Rasmussen's polling?

Amelia

Rookie
Feb 14, 2011
Packerland!
In the past Rasmussen has had a reputation for being skewed to the right but lately they've consistently posted the most favorable numbers for Obama.

Current RCP numbers:

President Obama Job Approval
RCP Average
Approve 41.9
Disapprove 53.1
Spread -11.2

In the recent past while everyone else had Obama underwater, Rasmussen still had positive numbers for him. Rasmussen currently has Obama underwater in approval, but at 46% it still has the highest approval number for Obama in all the polls currently listed.

Did they tweak their sampling methods to avoid the rap they took in 2012?

Don't know, but I agree with your post in that it seems to lean more to the center and left of center than before.

In the past Rasmussen has had a reputation for being skewed to the right but lately they've consistently posted the most favorable numbers for Obama.

Current RCP numbers:

President Obama Job Approval
RCP Average
Approve 41.9
Disapprove 53.1
Spread -11.2

In the recent past while everyone else had Obama underwater, Rasmussen still had positive numbers for him. Rasmussen currently has Obama underwater in approval, but at 46% it still has the highest approval number for Obama in all the polls currently listed.

Did they tweak their sampling methods to avoid the rap they took in 2012?

Rasmussen samples for Likely Voters, not Registered Voters or Adults. Given this, I think the variance narrows.

They try and get the numbers as accurate as the can. They use elections to make better number, but still...they claim no better than 3~%

When they try and fudge the numbers and use the numbers to make the news, that organization is gone is short order. The most bad numbers I saw were the Roper organization back in 1980. the day of the elections they had carder in the lead. And they were gone the next cycle.

One problem they do have is having the questions screwed up. I remember getting polled in the 1992 elections by nbc, and the questions they asked were all horrible to answer. You ask stupid questions, you will get stupid answers

They've never given me a ring!

They put "WARNING: CHOKING HAZARD" on rings for a reason, idb. They aren't meant for children such as you.

Choking_hazard_warning_label.jpg

They've never given me a ring!

I have been polled at least 4 times last fall( not by Rasmussen, by various groups though) and during this year as well, although this time I did not want to participate - it was about NYC race and I did not care. I have NYC phone number, so they call me.

No matter which way they lean, they only poll people with landlines ie the majority are older. Only polling landline voters or likely voters you are not getting a proper representation of Americans.

No matter which way they lean, they only poll people with landlines ie the majority are older. Only polling landline voters or likely voters you are not getting a proper representation of Americans.

That's a serious problem with polling. While the overwhelming majority of American households still have a land line or VOIP equivalent, this is changing. Few people are willing to take a survey on their cell phone. The result is that polling agencies have to rely on online forms, which people tend to resent. Finding participant groups becomes ever more difficult.

That's a serious problem with polling. While the overwhelming majority of American households still have a land line or VOIP equivalent, this is changing. Few people are willing to take a survey on their cell phone. The result is that polling agencies have to rely on online forms, which people tend to resent. Finding participant groups becomes ever more difficult.

Pretty much. And that majority is getting smaller.
My baby boomer parents now use their iPhones more than their landline.
I think I have one friend who still has a landline, other than that the overwhelming majority only have cell phones. Then there is the fact many don't even talk on the phone anymore, relying on text messages. I call my parents and work, and that is about it.

Forum List

Back