What's wrong with Christianity

Traditions that aren't Biblical, authority of Scripture, baptism, salvation, assumption or Mary, and the fact she was only a virgin until the birth of Jesus. She had other children with Joseph.
can a person actually GIVE BIRTH and not violate the MAIDENHEAD? (whatevah that is)

the fact she was only a virgin until the birth of Jesus. She had other children with Joseph.
According to modern English, she had other children with Joseph. The original Aramaic isn't so definite. Therefore, we return to tradition which said the other children were her stepchildren. In the 1500s, some Protestants decided they knew better than the tradition. Shrug. As no one can prove anything, I have no problem with the earlier tradition, but note the 1500s conclusion as well.

• Specifically, which tradition is not Biblical?
  • Are you aware Apostolic Tradition began before any Gospel or Letter?
Mary was not born sinless and she didn't ascend to heaven. She says in Luke "My Savior lives". Scripture is my authority, not tradition. There is no Scripture that states Apostolic tradition has authority over Scripture.

According to modern English, she had other children with Joseph. The original Aramaic isn't so definite. Therefore, we return to tradition which said the other children were her stepchildren. In the 1500s, some Protestants decided they knew better than the tradition. Shrug. As no one can prove anything, I have no problem with the earlier tradition, but note the 1500s conclusion as well.
You prove my point. Catholicism believes tradition over Scripture. Christians believe Scripture over traditions.

that man should have written a book
Instead of going out among the people? If he was closeted writing a book, it certainly wouldn't have been about himself--he wouldn't have been out doing what it was he achieved.

Mary was not born sinless and she didn't ascend to heaven. She says in Luke "My Savior lives". Scripture is my authority, not tradition. There is no Scripture that states Apostolic tradition has authority over Scripture.

The Immaculate Conception is the belief that Mary was protected from original sin, that Mary did not have a sin nature and was, in fact, sinless.

Immaculate Conception - Wikipedia
The Immaculate Conception is a dogma of the Catholic Church which states that Mary, mother of Jesus has been free of original sin from the moment of her conception.

It proved controversial in the Middle Ages, but was revived in the 19th century and was adopted as Church dogma when Pope Pius IX promulgated Ineffabilis Deus in 1854.

Instead of going out among the people? If he was closeted writing a book, it certainly wouldn't have been about himself--he wouldn't have been out doing what it was he achieved.
writing a book need not be an ALL ENCOMPASSING activity

The Immaculate Conception is the belief that Mary was protected from original sin, that Mary did not have a sin nature and was, in fact, sinless.

Immaculate Conception - Wikipedia
The Immaculate Conception is a dogma of the Catholic Church which states that Mary, mother of Jesus has been free of original sin from the moment of her conception.

It proved controversial in the Middle Ages, but was revived in the 19th century and was adopted as Church dogma when Pope Pius IX promulgated Ineffabilis Deus in 1854.
Agree. However, Scripture doesn't say Mary was born sinless. In the Book of Luke Mary says "My Savior lives". If she was sinless, she wouldn't need a Savior.

A preference to later scripture over earlier Apostolic tradition is certainly an option. Keep in mind that other than (perhaps) John, no Gospel was written by an Apostle--and John's Gospel is quite different from the earlier ones. Catholics dismiss neither tradition nor scripture. We understand where each began.

Compare it to a feast, where everyone enjoys the main course, but some pass on the hors d'oeuvres.

Agree. However, Scripture doesn't say Mary was born sinless. In the Book of Luke Mary says "My Savior lives". If she was sinless, she wouldn't need a Savior.

Luke lived in Antioch an never met Jesus.

I'm not Catholic and I used to think Jesus was the immaculate conception when I was a kid..

I have a friend who was a priest.. He tried to explain tradition as having value like scripture.

When most people were illiterate that sure makes a lot of sense to me.

You prove my point. Catholicism believes tradition over Scripture. Christians believe Scripture over traditions.
To be precise, Protestants believe 1500s-Modern English scripture. Catholic scripture goes back to the Aramaic, Greek, Latin--and the Apostolic traditions. Keep in mind that not even Paul's letters were written in Judea and Galilee. Yet, this is where Apostolic tradition began.

A preference to later scripture over earlier Apostolic tradition is certainly an option. Keep in mind that other than (perhaps) John, no Gospel was written by an Apostle--and John's Gospel is quite different from the earlier ones. Catholics dismiss neither tradition nor scripture. We understand where each began.

Compare it to a feast, where everyone enjoys the main course, but some pass on the hors d'oeuvres.
So you're saying Mary was sinless. Scripture says everyone has sinned. Roman's 3:23.

writing a book need not be an ALL ENCOMPASSING activity
In those days parchment and ink were quite expensive. A handwritten manuscript is not as easy nor as fast as typing. Between working for supplies and writing, quite a bit of time would have gone by the wayside.

Forum List

Back