What's Your Favorite Musical?

image.jpg

A hundred years of fantastic musicals from 42nd Street to Hamilton. There have been over 300 Broadway Musicals and at least that many movie musicals. My all time favorite has to be My Fair Lady, followed by The Music Man, Phantom of the Opera, and Hamilton.
The Sound of Music, the hills are alive with the sound of music. Rogers and Hammerstein Musical and Julie Andrews had or has a wide range of octaves.
I loved the Sound of Music primarily because of Julie Andrews. She stared in the Broadway production of My Fair Lady which was wonderful. I was disappointment when she did not get the lead in movie version of My Fair Lady. However, after seeing Audrey Hepburn as Eliza Doolittle, it was love at first sight even thou some of the musical numbers she did were dubbed.

Last edited:
Great musicals already mentioned....I like so many musicals through the decades!!!!:up:

from the 1930s too I like several, like this one!

"Makin' Whoopee" / Eddie Cantor / lyrics in subtitles​

Yankee Doodle Dandy - Trailer

James Cagney was perfect as George M. Cohan. He perfected that straight leg dance that Cohan was know for. George M. Cohan was remarkable for what he did on the stage and off. With a can do attitude and patriotic enthusiasm he took on what might seem like the unattainable. He was not only one of the most fervid of America's songwriters, he was also among its most prolific. He was once asked, Can you write a play without a flag? Cohan replied, I could write a play without a pencil. He was an incredible person, known for his generosity and love of country. He was awarded a Congressional Gold Medal by President Franklin Delano Roosevelt in 1940 for his efforts to boost World War I morale with patriotic songs like “You’re a Grand Old Flag” and “Over There.” He founded ASCAP, supported numerous children's hospitals, and he willed his considerable fortune to a dozen charitable organizations.

Yankee Doodle Dandy - Trailer

James Cagney was perfect as George M. Cohan. He perfected that straight leg dance that Cohan was know for. George M. Cohan was remarkable for what he did on the stage and off. With a can do attitude and patriotic enthusiasm he took on what might seem like the unattainable. He was not only one of the most fervid of America's songwriters, he was also among its most prolific. He was once asked, Can you write a play without a flag? Cohan replied, I could write a play without a pencil. He was an incredible person, known for his generosity and love of country. He was awarded a Congressional Gold Medal by President Franklin Delano Roosevelt in 1940 for his efforts to boost World War I morale with patriotic songs like “You’re a Grand Old Flag” and “Over There.” He founded ASCAP, supported numerous children's hospitals, and he willed his considerable fortune to a dozen charitable organizations.

You'd think...............somewhere in this country.............someone with the money would remake pro-American movies, if not just to piss off the Commie Leftists!!! I sure would if I had the money!

A hundred years of fantastic musicals from 42nd Street to Hamilton. There have been over 300 Broadway Musicals and at least that many movie musicals. My all time favorite has to be My Fair Lady, followed by The Music Man, Phantom of the Opera, and Hamilton.

Loved Hamilton... can't wait to see it in person...finally.

Damn Yankees was excellent...although "goodbye old girl" just kills me now...

Hadestown looks like a great musical and I can't wait until a local company puts it on.

Mama Mia--I am a huge ABBA fan--is probably the funnest 3 hours ever.
I never saw Damn Yankees on Broadway but enjoyed the movie version. Ray Walson and Tab Hunter did a good job. I also liked the the actress in the part of Lola, although I can't remember her name

from the 1970s....

GREASE - "There Are Worse Things (I Could Do)"​

Forum List

Back