What's Your Favorite Musical?

A hundred years of fantastic musicals from 42nd Street to Hamilton. There have been over 300 Broadway Musicals and at least that many movie musicals. My all time favorite has to be My Fair Lady, followed by The Music Man, Phantom of the Opera, and Hamilton.

Loved Hamilton... can't wait to see it in person...finally.

Damn Yankees was excellent...although "goodbye old girl" just kills me now...

Hadestown looks like a great musical and I can't wait until a local company puts it on.

Mama Mia--I am a huge ABBA fan--is probably the funnest 3 hours ever.
I too love the music of ABBA in the film version. I never saw it on Broadway. In the film version there was something I didn't like. I think it was the transition from the story to the music. The musical numbers seem to be just dropped into the film.. Also the color in movie seem too vivid, but the music was great.

A hundred years of fantastic musicals from 42nd Street to Hamilton. There have been over 300 Broadway Musicals and at least that many movie musicals. My all time favorite has to be My Fair Lady, followed by The Music Man, Phantom of the Opera, and Hamilton.

Hadestown looks like a great musical and I can't wait until a local company puts it on.

I never saw Damn Yankees on Broadway but enjoyed the movie version. Ray Walson and Tab Hunter did a good job. I also liked the the actress in the part of Lola, although I can't remember her name
One of the last things I did in Houston before moving away was seeing Damn Yankees. It was the same year the new ballpark opened. Tony Randall played Applegate and Jarrod Emick played Joe Hardy. I knew Randall of course from TV. I didn't know Emick at all or that he won the Tony for the role. It was in the round so the performance was really neat. I had never seen a show in the round before.

The link lists Gwen Verdon as Lola

I too love the music of ABBA in the film version. I never saw it on Broadway. In the film version there was something I didn't like. I think it was the transition from the story to the music. The musical numbers seem to be just dropped in the film.. Also the color in movie seem too vivid, but the music was great.
Yeah, we saw it in a local theater company...and while I like that local theater tried to do something so ambitious....

The guy playing Carmichael had a sticker on his shirt. Anyone who has shopped at Wal Mart knows the sticker. It's about 10 inches long and is about 1/2 inch wide and it lists the size over and over again. It was still on when he came out onto the stage. *facepalm*. I imagine the stage manager was having some sort of coronary.

1621744168602.png

millions of amazing musicals from decades gone by...

Easter Parade | A Couple of Swells (Fred Astaire, Judy Garland)​

Singing in the Rain has everything going for it Shocked it hasnt been mentioned. I also like Guys and Dolls which has one of the best songs ever.

Nobody has mentioned "Oh What a Lovely War" which will make you cry.

Singing in the Rain has everything going for it Shocked it hasnt been mentioned. I also like Guys and Dolls which has one of the best songs ever.

I also like Guys and Dolls which has one of the best songs ever.

??
Stubby Kaye - Cant find a clip of it. He is telling folk to sit down.

??

I preferred this one

??

Sinatra and Simmons in his chorus. Superb.

??

I preferred this one

Tidy.

??

I preferred this one

Tidy.

Chokes me up this one.

Singing in the Rain is one of the few hit movie musicals that never made it to Broadway. I saw it with my parents and as I recall no one thought it was very remarkable. Many years later I read that it was only moderately successful when it was released. It made money at the box office but was certainly not a blockbuster. Critics generally gave it good but not rave reviews. Only with time would it become one of the most loved movie musicals of all time.

The director's cut of the movie was 2 hours and 12 mins but due to studio demands to shorten the movie and controversy over several scenes, the film was cut to 1:43. The cut footage was lost and thus we will probably never see the movie directors Donen and Kelly created.

Just about everything that could go wrong in a movie did go wrong, casting problems arguments between the directors, Flu striking the Kelly and O'Conner, contract disputes, many retakes of the dance scenes. After the last scene was shot, Louis B. Mayer discussed shelving the movie. However, after screening it, he said, "I think we have something we can release and hopefully break even."

One of the most remarkable things about the movie was the studio picked 18 year-old Debbie Reynolds to star in a musical with difficult dance numbers when she had no experience dancing and didn't have a strong enough voice for some of her songs. Kelly wanted a more experience dancer such Ann Miller or Judy Garland but was convince he could train her.

Kelly proved a brutal taskmaster. "Every so often he would yell at me and make me cry," Reynolds recalled. "But it took a lot of patience for him to work with someone who had never danced before. It's amazing that I could keep up with him and Donald O'Connor." One day, Fred Astaire found Reynolds crying under a piano and consoled her by offering to coach her himself. Years later, Reynolds would famously say that "Singin' in the Rain" and childbirth were the hardest experiences of her life.

Reynolds bloodied her feet tap dancing for 15 hours to film the 5 min. "Good Morning" number and had to be carried off the set. Even after it was filmed to Kelly's satisfaction, he felt the tap sounds were insufficient, so he danced the number again in a dubbing room, both his own part and Reynolds'.

Last edited:

Singing in the Rain is one of the few hit movie musicals that never made it to Broadway. I saw it with my parents and as I recall no one thought it was very remarkable. Many years later I read that it was only moderately successful when it was released. It made money at the box office but was certainly not a blockbuster. Critics generally gave it good but not rave reviews. Only with time would it become one of the most loved movie musicals of all time.

The director's cut of the movie was 2 hours and 12 mins but due to studio demands to shorten the movie and controversy over several scenes, the film was cut to 1:43. The cut footage was lost and thus we will probably never see the movie directors Donen and Kelly created.

Just about everything that could go wrong in a movie did go wrong, casting problems arguments between the directors, Flu striking the Kelly and O'Conner, contract disputes, many retakes of the dance scenes. After the last scene was shot, Louis B. Mayer discussed shelving the movie. However, after screening it, he said, "I think we have something we can release and hopefully break even."

One of the most remarkable things about the movie was the studio picked 18 year-old Debbie Reynolds to star in a musical with difficult dance numbers when she had no experience dancing and didn't have a strong enough voice for some of her songs. Kelly wanted a more experience dancer such Ann Miller or Judy Garland but was convince he could train her.

Kelly proved a brutal taskmaster. "Every so often he would yell at me and make me cry," Reynolds recalled. "But it took a lot of patience for him to work with someone who had never danced before. It's amazing that I could keep up with him and Donald O'Connor." One day, Fred Astaire found Reynolds crying under a piano and consoled her by offering to coach her himself. Years later, Reynolds would famously say that "Singin' in the Rain" and childbirth were the hardest experiences of her life.

Reynolds bloodied her feet tap dancing for 15 hours to film the 5 min. "Good Morning" number and had to be carried off the set. Even after it was filmed to Kelly's satisfaction, he felt the tap sounds were insufficient, so he danced the number again in a dubbing room, both his own part and Reynolds'.

Apparently, Kelly was such a tyrannical perfectionist, neither Reynolds or O'Conner worked with him again.

Forum List

Back