What's your religion?

What most closely describes your religion?

• Catholic

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Orthodox (Greek, Serbian, Armenian, etc.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mainstream Protestant

• Fundamentalist and/or Evangelical Protestant

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Jewish

• Hindu

• Buddhist

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Islamic

• Atheist/Agnostic

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 12 46.2%

• Total voters
Bonnie said:
Curious Doug as to what led you to become a Buddhist? If it's not too personal a question?
I'm curious as to when we started calling you Doug???
I've known you as Doug for a while now but never called you
Doug in the open. Have you all started calling me Sean yet???

Bonnie said:
The Old Testament may indeed be mostly parables, but The New Testament is undoubtedly a factual book based on actual events. God puts us here to not only get to heaven, but to help along the way IF we ask for it, that's where free will comes into it. God micrmanages earthly matters because that's why we were created.

People ask the question "why am I here" the answer is To get to Heaven by doing good things in this life, by being charitable to others, for praying and living the best life you can with God's help and in using the gifts you were given in this life. It's really very simple.

The New Testament isn't a completely factual book. And it is a plagerism at best.

Non-active Mormon who has developed great resistance to being reactivated from constants social pressures to do so.

JOKER96BRAVO said:
I'm curious as to when we started calling you Doug???
I've known you as Doug for a while now but never called you
Doug in the open. Have you all started calling me Sean yet???

Actually Sean it came up in another thread about my new reality show.... :tng:

Powerman said:
The New Testament isn't a completely factual book. And it is a plagerism at best.

So then by that logic any witness testimoney in a court of law should be considered plagerism??

Powerman said:
Well I don't know. Maybe he doesn't do shit. Maybe he doesn't exist. Why pretend to know what he does. Most people here are either Christian or atheist/agnostic. I'm agnostic. From my research on the matter Christianity is no more than a plagerised faith. Why should anyone believe it as the inspired word of God?

Because they choose to believe it and you don't. Why should anyone be wrong for what they believe?

kurtsprincess said:
Because they choose to believe it and you don't. Why should anyone be wrong for what they believe?

Because he is an Evangelistic Agnostic, you must believe like him or you are simply a nutjob.

The very essence of floccinaucinihilipilification.

no1tovote4 said:
Because he is an Evangelistic Agnostic, you must believe like him or you are simply a nutjob.

Sometimes we judge things to be trivial because we fear them and it's our way of avoiding the truth of how we feel about the issue.

Perhaps he's just afraid and not really a nutjob.

kurtsprincess said:
Perhaps he's just afraid and not really a nutjob.

I wouldn't call him a nutjob at all, that is what he has implied about others in this thread that do not agree with him. His beliefs are as valid as mine, and probably as deep. That does not mean that I believe that everybody who is not a Buddhist is essentially a nutjob...

He is evangelizing his beliefs and expects you to "see the light" as he has. He is clearly actively seeking converts to his form of Agnosticism and deems most every other belief as worthless (thus the term floccinaucinihilipilifator would apply well to him.)

no1tovote4 said:
I wouldn't call him a nutjob at all, that is what he has implied about others in this thread that do not agree with him. His beliefs are as valid as mine, and probably as deep. That does not mean that I believe that everybody who is not a Buddhist is essentially a nutjob...

He is evangelizing his beliefs and expects you to "see the light" as he has. He is clearly actively seeking converts to his form of Agnosticism and deems most every other belief as worthless (thus the term floccinaucinihilipilifator would apply well to him.)

There is nothing deep about being agnostic. Nothing at all. Im sure your belief is far deeper than his. All an Agnostic is someone who is too lazy to find out for themselves so they declare that no one can no to save themselves the effort. It takes no intellectual capacity, open mind, or real effort to declare oneself agnostic. In fact to be agnostic is by definition to close the mind. You can never learn if you refuse to admit you can learn. The second you say no one can then you close yourself off to the possibility. How open minded or intellectual is that?

no1tovote4 said:

No. I don't think like that at all. I do however think that the young earth Christians are nut jobs though. Fundamentalists are generally pretty crazy.

Well, so far I know that I've had quite a spiritual journey during my lifetime. I don't feel that I've completed that journey, but I've learned enough to know when I've turned down the wrong path a lot sooner than I used to. And for me it's a very personal journey and I don't try to force anyone to walk my path with me.

However, I'm also willing to understand that others feel it's their path to take others to their destination, perhaps along the same path, rather than letting them find their own way to that destination. Some people have a great sense of direction and others need some help. Some people have no problem asking for help and others don't know they need help until someone has presented the solution.

So, I can't fault anyone who wants to share information regarding their beliefs. What I don't agree with is thinking there is only one way to believe.

Powerman said:
No. I don't think like that at all. I do however think that the young earth Christians are nut jobs though. Fundamentalists are generally pretty crazy.

Specifically why?

no1tovote4 said:
...He is clearly actively seeking converts to his form of Agnosticism and deems most every other belief as worthless (thus the term floccinaucinihilipilifator would apply well to him.)

Converting others to believe in... nothing? How bizarre.

atheist/agnostic
I respect all the believers, but I don't believe in God.

question : how are you sure that the God you pray is THE God ? or, if you admit that all the religion have the same God, even the polytheists - then only the interpretation would change - how are you sure that your way of belief is THE one ?

padisha emperor said:
atheist/agnostic
I respect all the believers, but I don't believe in God.

question : how are you sure that the God you pray is THE God ? or, if you admit that all the religion have the same God, even the polytheists - then only the interpretation would change - how are you sure that your way of belief is THE one ?

Nobody knows, that's why it's called faith.

Forum List

Back