What's Your Understanding Of The Act Of Burning The Flag?

It is sad that one must express hatred for their country, however.
Hatred for a government is not hatred for a country.

You'd think the Right-Wingers, of all people, would get that.

☭proletarian☭;2194797 said:
It's legal, unfortunately.... protected under free speech

I have served my country with honor... and buried come close friends with the flag on their coffins... and I think that anyone who desecrates the flag is a despicable piece of shit....
Funny, I think those who make the flag a symbol of invasion, occupation, slavery, support of cruel dictatorships, the oppression of women, and everything else the Right Wing has stood for for 200 years while waving the flag around are pieces of shit...

Only from the left..........

Freedom is what matters, not your leftist hype. It is the freedoms that we in the USA enjoy, that our troops throughout history have bled and died for that the flag symbolizes. Not your weak protests.

burning flag equal zero results.. moving,, gets you a country you approve of..
Did the FF move? No, they destroyed the government that oppressed them (well, it's presence in the region, anyway). Did the women all move away? No! They marched and demanded and fought for their rights! Did DR. King move away? No! He demanded the nation and its government change and recognize his rights. Did those who didn't approve of the USA preventing a French colony from perusing its own self-governance move away? Some did, and they achieved nothing. Those who stayed and demanded the government changed brought our troops home.

To many, the flag represents something; be it their dead children from wars; their ancestors who struggled to come here
- the nation that denied them suffrage or invaded their nation or enslaved their race or put a cruel dictator into power to get oil or protect American business interests...

The US has done many evil deeds and the US flag has been flown over them all. Is it any surprise that so many fail to see it as a promise of liberty?

I found an explanation on snopes.com of the code on respect for and disposal of flags, that burning is the "preferred" way of disposing of flags respectfully, in the case of irreparable damage that makes the flag unsuitable for display.

Perhaps these protestors are figuratively expressing belief that stains on the history of the nation make the flag unsuitable for display? That these ills cannot be repaired?.

In many cases, that's pretty much it.

Political protests are not the issue here. The flag represents the nation, not a political view point. Americans burning the flag is simply disrepectful.

The flag represents a government with a mixed and often bloody and despicable history.

priceless.jpg

I don't think that RWers and LWers view it the same at all.

You RWers tend to take it ultra-personally, as if someone's burning down your abode or something.

So I'd like to get some feedback as to what you think it is, both sides actually.

Something tells me that the reasons will differ quite substantially based on ideology.

I think burning the flag is wrong and offensive.

It would be like me going into your church (if your a church person) and burning the bible in front of you. Thats what Its like to me.

I'm an independant who is financially conservative, socially liberal, and pro small government.

Or tearing up a Koran in front of a Muslim, which the Right had no problem with?

"Most" liberals neither burn flags nor project their own small mindedness on the people who choose that form of expression. To find out why any person chooses to burn a flag, you'd have to ask them. I'm pretty sure you'd get a wide range of answers.

The whole point is, banning a form of speech just because it is "offensive" is an open invitation to majority rule over all speech. That means it is no longer free, and dissent by definition will no longer be tolerated. That is not what that flag stands for. While I personally find it distasteful, it is far better to see the piece of cloth desecrated than to see what it represents destroyed.

Calling flag burning free speech makes as much sense as me talking to you by peeing on your head. I know what I said, but your going to be confused and mad. Still free speech?
Me destroying my own property is the same as you drinking my piss? :eusa_eh:

Are you simple?

Calling flag burning free speech makes as much sense as me talking to you by peeing on your head. I know what I said, but your going to be confused and mad. Still free speech?

wow, just when you thought you've heard the dumbest arguments ever, this one comes across.

Peeing on someone is assault. Burning a flag doesn't harm anybody else. You can't possibly be that dumb to think what you put forth was a good argument

getting peed on doesn't hurt either.. you ever pee on your finger?? you pee acid??? what a wussy.
So you wouldn't object to me pissing all over you?:eusa_eh:

☭proletarian☭;2194848 said:
Political protests are not the issue here. The flag represents the nation, not a political view point. Americans burning the flag is simply disrepectful.

The flag represents a government with a mixed and often bloody and despicable history.

Glass is half empty I see. It represents a nation that is founded on a document that many nations attempt to emulate, that has protected many other nations from despots, is often the first to help other nations in emergencies, has a virtual international currency and gives folks the best chance of economic gain.

I don't know this as fact, But i would guess that my dear cousin (Jefferson) and friends did not intend for the 1st amendment to be used to allow anyone to burn anything. And I would bet Uncle Marshall turned in his grave when his beloved supreme court made such a ruling.

I think you would find that your dear cousin Jefferson disagrees with you.

Back in the days of the Revolution, the British did not care terribly about their flag. What they were passionate about was respecting the King. What you would have found in Jeffersons time was people burning King George in effigy, spouting vile things about the King and showing disrespect for the monarchy.
Loyalists of the time were outraged and spouted many of the same things you read on this thread. That people who disrespect the King should be horse whipped, hung for treason or exiled.

The first amendment was written specifically to protect just this type of speech that is critical of the existing government

One of the things that the Flag stands for is Freedom of speech and freedom of expression.

Not when the Right-Wingers wave it.
But the flag stands for so much more - it symbolizes for our governement,

Which is a false one, according to the same people bitching about flag burning.
it symbolizes our people

Who didn't always have equal rights and, in the case of women, still aren't equal in the work place.
, our culture,
Which?

our history,

Of enslavement, segregation, oppression, abuse of federal power, and colonialism?
the patriotic sacrifices of our soldiers.

Which? Preventing Nam from leaving France and perusing its own self-governance? Supporting the Czar? Taking Hawaii with cannons?

America has a very ugly past and still has some very ugly policies.

It represents a nation that is founded on a document that many nations attempt to emulate, that has protected many other nations from despots

And placed despots in power when there was money to be made.
, is often the first to help other nations in emergencies,

While leting its own people go fuck themselves.

Amnesty: US guilty of Katrina-related abuses

gives folks the best chance of economic gain.

Unless they're black, women, poor, or happen to be born in a country where American businesses can legally enslave them and enjoy the US Army's support if the locals try to resist.

☭proletarian☭;2194832 said:
Freedom is what matters, not your leftist hype. It is the freedoms that we in the USA enjoy.
Thanks to liberals and Leftists.

Wrong. Thanks go to the men and women who fought and died to protect the liberals and leftists even though they disagreed with them on many issues.

So Washington never led his men into battle?

Hmm.. Somebody burns the flag and you don't get offended? Your quite the Patriot.

Find it funny? what the hell? :cuckoo:

My View: If i see the American Flag burning, i would get offended, i wouldn't find it funny at all, but i can't do anything about it, it's protected by the Constitution..

Patriotism is overated....
Those who cling to flags and borders are often those devoid of underlying principles.

☭proletarian☭;2194921 said:
It represents a nation that is founded on a document that many nations attempt to emulate, that has protected many other nations from despots

And placed despots in power when there was money to be made.
, is often the first to help other nations in emergencies,

While leting its own people go fuck themselves.

Amnesty: US guilty of Katrina-related abuses

gives folks the best chance of economic gain.

Unless they're black, women, poor, or happen to be born in a country where American businesses can legally enslave them and enjoy the US Army's support if the locals try to resist.

Are you a militia member?

US CODE: Title 10,311. Militia: composition and classes

§ 311. Militia: composition and classes

(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.
(b) The classes of the militia are— (1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and
(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.

Forum List

Back