When I was in San Francisco

The Golden Gate Bridge is one of the most popular suicide spots in the country. Usually something like 50-100 people per year actually jump, and hundreds more are talked down before they actually do it.

As you saw, there's a lot of video surveillance, and a quick-response team that'll rush out when they see any signs. There are also telephone boxes on the walkway that connect to suicide hotlines.

Various studies have shown that a majority of the suicides would be prevented with a simple and inexpensive net below the pathway, but it gets voted down every time it comes up for not being aesthetically pleasing.

The Golden Gate Bridge is one of the most popular suicide spots in the country. Usually something like 50-100 people per year actually jump, and hundreds more are talked down before they actually do it.

As you saw, there's a lot of video surveillance, and a quick-response team that'll rush out when they see any signs. There are also telephone boxes on the walkway that connect to suicide hotlines.

Various studies have shown that a majority of the suicides would be prevented with a simple and inexpensive net below the pathway, but it gets voted down every time it comes up for not being aesthetically pleasing.

I read about it being a suicide bridge after my experience, they say that since it was constructed more than 3,000 people have ended their lives on that bridge. Such a beautiful creation and yet so tragic for so many people and their loved ones.

As we were walking up and down, yes I noticed every now and then telephones and I think signs for American Samaritans. I think all those security people got to where I was within a few minutes.

I would support a suicide net myself.

I got a bus to seal rock and walked from there past the Presidio past down town SF past the embarcadero . On foot, no buses or public transportation. Never again would I do that.

When I was in San Francisco, I got lost on Golden Gate Bridge and was walking up and down trying to find my friend.

So, after about 10 minutes of walking up and down the bridge, all of a sudden a whole range of bridge Security people come to me and say "We're here, you don't have to do this, let's talk about it"

And I think WTF are they meaning? And they thought I was thinking of jumping off Golden Gate Bridge. They told me that when people are often thinking of jumping, they walk up and down the bridge contemplating situation because a jump is a One-Way Ticket.

Anyhow, all was solved when I told them I wasn't thinking of jumping, but was looking for my friend and of course we find my friend and that was good.

This whole situation still one of the strangest I've ever experienced :smoke:

How does anyone get lost on the Golden Gate Bridge- there are only two directions?

Did you perhaps lose your friend?

Anyway- interesting story- I have never actually seen anyone stopped like that before.

Many cool things to do in San Francisco and many cool things to see.

I'm a WW2 enthusiast so I go tour the aircraft carrier Hornet and other ships moored near it every couple years, and they have a WW2 sub, the Pampanito, that you can walk through. I walked through this sub throwing switches and turning knobs and the docent said "don't move anything, they still fire this thing up and move it around the bay". I'd put up a sign.

Lucy is Catholic, she knows better than that!
Shoulda just said: "I'm a staunch Catholic, you got it all wrong!"

I'm just trying to find my friends.

Forum List

Back