When will it stop?

One of my brothers did 3 combat tours in the middle east. He's all kinds of effed up physically and mentally. And it's been like pulling teeth getting any help from the VA. Years long process.

We are in a lot more places than just the Middle East.

Yep. We need to end all the wars we are involved in and bring 90% of our troops home.
It's not fair that we carry a bigger burden of the load than the rest of the free world. But no we shouldn't withdraw and pretend like bad guys don't exist. It's better they are taken care of before becoming strong enough to come after us. Not doing anything and hoping that the problem will go away is stupid.

Did you ever think that maybe our interventionist foreign policies have created these "bad guys"?

We need to stay out of foreign entanglements.
But they didn't.
Totalitarians who want to dominate the world weren't created by interventionist foreign policies. They were stopped by those policies, in some cases, when we put someone worse in charge. NK won't be stopped by ignoring them. The longer we wait the more people will die. Iran won't be stopped by ignoring them. The longer we wait the more people will die. Sometimes it's better to rip the bandaid off.

What compelling national interest do we have in North Korea? or Iran?

PS-We created the theocracy in Iran.....
Not being their next victim for starters.

Another example of the "care" given to our veterans by the gov't that promised to take care of them:

My ex-father-in-law is dying. He has had 4 doctors sign affidavits that most of his health problems stem from exposure to Agent Orange. From the beginning of its use, the VA has denied claims that it caused the horrific health problems it was associated with. As of 1993, only 486 claims to the VA were approved, despite having almost 40,000 soldiers filing for disability because of the health problems they were having. My -ex-father-in-law received compensation from the VA last spring. Somewhere around $50k. He has been fighting the health problems since shortly after returning from Vietnam.

Our leaders love photo-ops with our members of the military. They love to thank them for their service. But when it comes to keeping their promises to them....well.....money is tight, you know?

We need to stop playing mid-east policeman, declare victory, and come home.

We also need to close most of our bases in Europe, why are we still defending rich EU nations? Leave a few bases for strategic purposes, and get the hell out. We are not the world's policeman! Invest the savings in our country and our veterans.

USN Vet 1982-1986

We are in a lot more places than just the Middle East.

Yep. We need to end all the wars we are involved in and bring 90% of our troops home.
It's not fair that we carry a bigger burden of the load than the rest of the free world. But no we shouldn't withdraw and pretend like bad guys don't exist. It's better they are taken care of before becoming strong enough to come after us. Not doing anything and hoping that the problem will go away is stupid.

Did you ever think that maybe our interventionist foreign policies have created these "bad guys"?

But they didn't.
Totalitarians who want to dominate the world weren't created by interventionist foreign policies. They were stopped by those policies, in some cases, when we put someone worse in charge. NK won't be stopped by ignoring them. The longer we wait the more people will die. Iran won't be stopped by ignoring them. The longer we wait the more people will die. Sometimes it's better to rip the bandaid off.

Two things:
First, why is it always the USA that has to do this?

And second, if we are going to keep being the world's policeman, then we damn well better take care of those we send into harms way. We cannot take 'No' for an answer.

The entire thread is based on the "fact" that veteran suicide rate is too high, and yet the OP, when called on this, can't even prove that the veteran suicide rate is higher than the non-veteran suicide rate. I suggest this entire thread be dumped in the Rubber Room where it belongs.

Are you still pissed about your abortion thread? Jeez. Pitiful.

One of my brothers did 3 combat tours in the middle east. He's all kinds of effed up physically and mentally. And it's been like pulling teeth getting any help from the VA. Years long process.

But our leaders never hesitated to get photo-ops with soldiers in uniform, do they?

But they didn't.

What wars are they currently engaged in?

But our leaders never hesitated to get photo-ops with soldiers in uniform, do they?
I joined the Army because I didn't want to work for McDonalds for the rest of my life. I made a lot of decisions based on emotion because I was undiagnosed bi-polar. I didn't know about the student loan or I would've become an Accountant. I didn't believe in borrowing money back then, for any reason. I was stupid.

I hated the Military. It gave complete losers who couldn't make it in the real world authority to treat me like shit. Got my ass kicked once because my weapon was a little dirty. Constantly being told I was worthless and not worthy of the tax payers money while being used to pick up cigarette butts didn't change my opinion much. Peacetime military sucked. I was hoping a war would break out so I could prove I was useful after all.

We had a First Sergeant who thought we were still in Boot Camp. I asked someone, what would they do if everyone disobeyed a direct order at the same time. 3 days later during a Battalion formation when our first Sergeant thought he'd show off by making us do PT, everyone disobeyed his direct order to go into push up position. I almost dropped down, I never knew they were going to do that. What happened? They fired that First Sergeant. His replacement thought I was the ring leader of that activity and said if I re-enlisted he would flag down my paperwork and find a reason to court martial me.

Stupidly I spent my GI money on a van. Drove the van home and ran over my own transmission 5 miles from home. Pennyless it was back to McDonalds again. 2 years of National Guard to fill out my 6.

30 years ago, I got tired of the roller coaster my life had become. I walked into a VA clinic and begged for help. They diagnosed me as Bi-polar. I almost committed suicide several times because of the experimental pills they popped into me. But eventually we found one that worked. I'm as normal as I will ever be now. I have no energy. I sleep whenever I'm bored. I'm bored a lot. But I can now hold down a job and pay my rent. It wasn't the Army that caused me to be this way. But it is because of the Army I'm not in jail or dead. VA has done right by me. Though the road there was rocky.

But they didn't.

You wait for the other guy to hit you first before doing anything then they are going to hit you at your weakest point and your weakest moment when they themselves are at their strongest. That is not how you survive in this world.

I joined the Army because I didn't want to work for McDonalds for the rest of my life. I made a lot of decisions based on emotion because I was undiagnosed bi-polar. I didn't know about the student loan or I would've become an Accountant. I didn't believe in borrowing money back then, for any reason. I was stupid.

I hated the Military. It gave complete losers who couldn't make it in the real world authority to treat me like shit. Got my ass kicked once because my weapon was a little dirty. Constantly being told I was worthless and not worthy of the tax payers money while being used to pick up cigarette butts didn't change my opinion much. Peacetime military sucked. I was hoping a war would break out so I could prove I was useful after all.

We had a First Sergeant who thought we were still in Boot Camp. I asked someone, what would they do if everyone disobeyed a direct order at the same time. 3 days later during a Battalion formation when our first Sergeant thought he'd show off by making us do PT, everyone disobeyed his direct order to go into push up position. I almost dropped down, I never knew they were going to do that. What happened? They fired that First Sergeant. His replacement thought I was the ring leader of that activity and said if I re-enlisted he would flag down my paperwork and find a reason to court martial me.

Stupidly I spent my GI money on a van. Drove the van home and ran over my own transmission 5 miles from home. Pennyless it was back to McDonalds again. 2 years of National Guard to fill out my 6.

30 years ago, I got tired of the roller coaster my life had become. I walked into a VA clinic and begged for help. They diagnosed me as Bi-polar. I almost committed suicide several times because of the experimental pills they popped into me. But eventually we found one that worked. I'm as normal as I will ever be now. I have no energy. I sleep whenever I'm bored. I'm bored a lot. But I can now hold down a job and pay my rent. It wasn't the Army that caused me to be this way. But it is because of the Army I'm not in jail or dead. VA has done right by me. Though the road there was rocky.

I am glad to hear you got the help you needed. I hope your meds keep the demons at bay.

I am glad to hear you got the help you needed. I hope your meds keep the demons at bay.
Work, sleep, argue politics. My life is real simple now. I have family. No wife, no girlfriend, but sister and her two kids, mother. I have purpose.

But they didn't.

You wait for the other guy to hit you first before doing anything then they are going to hit you at your weakest point and your weakest moment when they themselves are at their strongest. That is not how you survive in this world.

North Korea has not been involved in any war since the Korean War in the 1950's. The USA? lol...we've been involved in dozens!

We have more weaponry and defense than any 5 countries combined. It's embarrassing how much we spend on "defense".

The fact is, when you let people be, the let you be. There are few if any benefits to being preemptive. You just create more enemies, more death, more hatred. North Korea is not hurting us. They are a pipsqueak. Same with Iran.

We need to end these foreign entanglements and take care of our own borders and people.

Starting using the VA around 5 years ago.

I found the staff and medical personal to be dedicated and helpful.

They have posters and fliers all around the medical facilities giving out 1-800 numbers for Veterans to call who are in a crisis or contemplating hurting themselves. In fact, when ever you call in to schedule an appointment or refill prescriptions. The first thing the automated line asks if you are having a medical or mental health emergency? And directs you to push a single digit # to be connected to an emergency help line.

In my opinion, the VA is doing the best they can do to help vets, and do not deserve the bad rep the media tries to saddle them with. ..... :cool:

Last edited:

Work, sleep, argue politics. My life is real simple now. I have family. No wife, no girlfriend, but sister and her two kids, mother. I have purpose.

Family and arguing online is purpose. Your family needs you. And think of the lurkers that learn from what you post.

Hang in there.

But they didn't.

North Korea has not been involved in any war since the Korean War in the 1950's. The USA? lol...we've been involved in dozens!

We have more weaponry and defense than any 5 countries combined. It's embarrassing how much we spend on "defense".

The fact is, when you let people be, the let you be. There are few if any benefits to being preemptive. You just create more enemies, more death, more hatred. North Korea is not hurting us. They are a pipsqueak. Same with Iran.

We need to end these foreign entanglements and take care of our own borders and people.
NK can't be trusted to not use their nukes as blackmail to get welfare. We can't pay off every country to make them our friend.
Iran chants death to America and threatens to push Israel out into the Sea.
Muslims willing to do whatever they have to do to create a world wide caliphate.
These we need to protect us from. They are at war with us.

Starting using the VA around 5 years ago.

I found the staff and medical personal to be dedicated and helpful.

They have posters and fliers all around the medical facilities giving out 1-800 numbers for Veterans to call who are in a crisis or contemplating hurting themselves. In fact, when ever you call in to schedule an appointment or refill prescriptions. The first thing the automated line asks if you are having a medical or mental health emergency? And directs you to push a number to be connected to an emergency help line.

In my opinion, the VA is doing the best they can do to help vets, and do not deserve the bad rep the media tries to saddle them with. ..... :cool:

The staff at the VA I have used were very helpful. And every time I have called to make an appointment, before they schedule it, they ask about my mental health and whether or not I having suicidal thoughts. Every doctor I have seen has always asked several times about my mental health.

My rant is not really against the VA. It is against all the politicians who love to claim they are behind our men & women in the military. Yet they refuse to keep their promise to take care of them. It is about all the people in this country who will protest at the drop of a hate, boycott just as quick, but are strangely unwilling to fight for those who were willing to fight for them.

I have avoided the topic of the shooting in Texas and the shooting in Vegas. But I will add this for everyone to think about. In the 35 days between the Vegas murders and the Texas murders, over 700 veterans have committed suicide. Otherwise healthy Americans who CHOSE to serve, took their own lives. The VA hospitals have been under funded and under staffed since I was a kid in the 60s.

I keep hearing "If we don't take refuges in we can help more vets" or "If we don't spend money on Obamacare we can help more vets". I get the question 'When will we do something' where the shooting are concerned. But the shootings were done by individuals. The neglect of brave men and women who were promised things is done by high ranking elected federal official. And we, the people, keep electing them. And the neglect continues. As it has continued for my entire life. (and I am old) So I ask you, when will we stand up for those who stood for us.

And before anyone posts trying to blame the other side, let me remind you that there have been presidents from both parties and both parties have held a majority in the senate in the time our veterans have been coming home shattered.

20 veterans a DAY kill themselves. If you think there should be ANY higher priority for our federal gov't, you are a worthless piece of shit.

But remember these numbers:
Since Donald Trump was sworn in as president, 5,780 veterans have committed suicide. He swore he would help, but the numbers keep piling up.

Since Colin Kaepernick first knelt during the national anthem, 8,600 veterans have committed suicide. So many scream about how he disrespects all those who served and died. How about a nation that ignores an epidemic of suicides among veterans? Imagine if we boycotted wars until our veterans got the care we promised them.

Since Trump was elected and people started saying "Not my president", 7,240 veterans have committed suicide. Imagine the changes that could be made if so much noise was made about the plight of veterans.
“Medicating Our Troops Into Oblivion”: Prescription Drugs Said To Be Endangering U.S. Soldiers “Medicating Our Troops Into Oblivion”: Prescription Drugs Said To Be Endangering U.S. Soldiers

Medical Reports, Veterans' Families Suggest VA Is Overmedicating Vets
https://www.usnews.com/news/article...-of-over-medication-of-injured-veterans-by-va

Veterans Can Get All Of These Prescription Drugs To Treat PTSD, But Not Weed | HuffPost

https://www.globalresearch.ca/the-evils-of-big-pharma-exposed/5425382

Forum List

Back