Where were YOU on 9/11/01?

twin-towers.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Won't ever be the same... :(

But the new one, framed the way it is in that picture, sure looks like a middle finger to the terrorist bastards.

Driving home from an appointment west of Nacogdoches in the East Texas pinies. Peter Jennings all of a sudden was reporting about a plane hitting the WTC. I could not process it. Thought it was a small plane. Then Peter said the building fell down, I pulled over the car to the side of the road, and sat stunned. I walked in the front door about ten minutes before the second building fell. That I saw as it happened. My wife was about ten blocks over in an Episcopal church with her work mates. Most of the day after that is just a blur.

I was working at a multi national steel company in Cleveland. The CEO set up a TV in the executive garage and ordered a lunch tray. We went downstairs and watched the events as they happened.

twin-towers.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

But the new one, framed the way it is in that picture, sure looks like a middle finger to the terrorist bastards.
I remember watching the WTC go up in the 60's

What the he'll guno you smoking crack again?

I know damn well the Sears tower finished around 1972...are you thinking the empire state building in the 1950s?...with that United airplane crash in her?

twin-towers.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

I know damn well the Sears tower finished around 1972...are you thinking the empire state building in the 1950s?...with that United airplane crash in her?
2 things:

1. When do you think they were built?

2. This has been a really nice thread so far. Please don't drag it into the gutter.

twin-towers.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

2 things:

1. When do you think they were built?

2. This has been a really nice thread so far. Please don't drag it into the gutter.

Agree but as a Chicago guy I know the Sears tower has been around a long time before the world trade center..

Just pointing out historical facts:)

The empire state building got hit by a United airplane.

Const started 2006. One WTC opened 2014.

I missed it.

I also missed the original Penn Station. It was gone by the time I lived in NYC.

I had just finished going over an assignment with my first graders and was standing near the open classroom door when a fellow teacher went running by. I stepped out into the hall and asked if everything was alright. She was exiting the door as she turned and said, "Terrorists have just attacked the White House." As she disappeared out of sight, I turned to look at my students and thought that they were about to lose a special innocence going forward in their young lives. The administrators allowed the upper grades to watch the news, but not the lower grades, and we did not discuss it with them. We were prepared to answer questions the following day. That night I gave my 12 and 3 year old extra hugs.

I had just finished going over an assignment with my first graders and was standing near the open classroom door when a fellow teacher went running by. I stepped out into the hall and asked if everything was alright. She was exiting the door as she turned and said, "Terrorists have just attacked the White House." As she disappeared out of sight, I turned to look at my students and thought that they were about to lose a special innocence going forward in their young lives. The administrators allowed the upper grades to watch the news, but not the lower grades, and we did not discuss it with them. We were prepared to answer questions the following day. That night I gave my 12 and 3 year old extra hugs.
True. A whole generation has grown up with terrorism being a commonplace thing in the world. But I suppose every generation has its horrors.

True. A whole generation has grown up with terrorism being a commonplace thing in the world. But I suppose every generation has its horrors.

But you know what was so cool after that day?

Was the American flags everywhere:)

Const started 2006. One WTC opened 2014.

I missed it.

I also missed the original Penn Station. It was gone by the time I lived in NYC.
But where were you that day?

What I wrote above - #18

I was goofing on my own message board.

I remember when the second plane hit, I wrote "someone has just declared war on the United States"

You know what really pissed me off is knowing the terrorists were also watching CNN - just like the entire US. They had no idea they would bring down the buildings and I imagined them celebrating that. I LOVED hearing that bin Laden had been killed.

Aye, it does. When I came up it was nuclear holocaust and "duck and cover" and "wear these dog tags in case you're burned beyond recognition" in a strike that could happen any day. Which seems quite a bit deeper.

I've thought about that -

People my parents age knew where they were on Dec 7, 1941.
My generation knew where they were when JFK was shot.
I remember school buses lined up to take kids home early that day. And then, watching the country mourn a dead president.

There have also been good times, when we all sat glued to the TV - John Glenn landing on the moon. Then, I remember that Friendship 7 toured the US. It was parked on Broadway in Denver, cordoned off but you could park and walk around it, even peeked in that tiny window. I remember that so well. Saw it again at the Smithsonian but nothing like that day.

twin-towers.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Construction started on the WTC in the late 1960's bozo

Aye, it does. When I came up it was nuclear holocaust and "duck and cover" and "wear these dog tags in case you're burned beyond recognition" in a strike that could happen any day. Which seems quite a bit deeper.

That was just slightly before my time. Hearing it now - it seems ridiculous that we were so naive as to think dog tags would be left. Its like the old booklets the govt put out about how the post office would operate if the country was cooked.

I've had dentures since my face was crushed when I was a kid. Nowadays, your name is embedded in the denture so when your plane goes down and the plastic doesn't melt or you get fished out of the ocean, you can be identified. Then there's finger printing of little kids and so many don't realize its so a body can be identified.

Macabre train of thought, this, and I didn't mean to derail the thread.

twin-towers.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Construction started on the WTC in the late 1960's bozo

My apologies - you are correct. What I wrote above was for One World Trade Center.

Construction of the World Trade Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The attack on 9/11 was far worse than the attack on Pearl Harbor. We went to war THEN with the attackers then and it took four years to whip their ass. What is taking so long with Muslims? We all know where Mecca is. We got maps.

Forum List

Back