Where were YOU on 9/11/01?

twin-towers.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Won't ever be the same... :(

But the new one, framed the way it is in that picture, sure looks like a middle finger to the terrorist bastards.
I remember watching the WTC go up in the 60's

What the he'll guno you smoking crack again?

I know damn well the Sears tower finished around 1972...are you thinking the empire state building in the 1950s?...with that United airplane crash in her?
Construction started on the WTC in the late 1960's bozo

My apologies - you are correct. What I wrote above was for One World Trade Center.

Construction of the World Trade Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No need I was responding to bear

I had just finished going over an assignment with my first graders and was standing near the open classroom door when a fellow teacher went running by. I stepped out into the hall and asked if everything was alright. She was exiting the door as she turned and said, "Terrorists have just attacked the White House." As she disappeared out of sight, I turned to look at my students and thought that they were about to lose a special innocence going forward in their young lives. The administrators allowed the upper grades to watch the news, but not the lower grades, and we did not discuss it with them. We were prepared to answer questions the following day. That night I gave my 12 and 3 year old extra hugs.

True. A whole generation has grown up with terrorism being a commonplace thing in the world. But I suppose every generation has its horrors.

Aye, it does. When I came up it was nuclear holocaust and "duck and cover" and "wear these dog tags in case you're burned beyond recognition" in a strike that could happen any day. Which seems quite a bit deeper.

This I vividly remember in school, but even then it made no sense

The attack on 9/11 was far worse than the attack on Pearl Harbor. We went to war THEN with the attackers then and it took four years to whip their ass. What is taking so long with Muslims? We all know where Mecca is. We got maps.

And in 1941 did we go to war against "Shintoists"? And did we then extend it to "Lutherans" and "Catholics"?

Don't hijack your own thread for demagoguic crap. Let's not add insult to injury.

I had just finished going over an assignment with my first graders and was standing near the open classroom door when a fellow teacher went running by. I stepped out into the hall and asked if everything was alright. She was exiting the door as she turned and said, "Terrorists have just attacked the White House." As she disappeared out of sight, I turned to look at my students and thought that they were about to lose a special innocence going forward in their young lives. The administrators allowed the upper grades to watch the news, but not the lower grades, and we did not discuss it with them. We were prepared to answer questions the following day. That night I gave my 12 and 3 year old extra hugs.
True. A whole generation has grown up with terrorism being a commonplace thing in the world. But I suppose every generation has its horrors.

But you know what was so cool after that day?

Was the American flags everywhere:)
I remember my parents had to be put on a wait list to buy their flag; there was such a demand. Before 9/11 the people in my neighborhood didn't have any kind of flag flying. We were just a typical suburban neighborhood, full of young families, all friends with each other. Just trying to get by. After 9/11 the whole neighborhood flew an American flag from their porch. And 14 years later they still do.

Const started 2006. One WTC opened 2014.

I missed it.

I also missed the original Penn Station. It was gone by the time I lived in NYC.
But where were you that day?

What I wrote above - #18

I was goofing on my own message board.

I remember when the second plane hit, I wrote "someone has just declared war on the United States"

You know what really pissed me off is knowing the terrorists were also watching CNN - just like the entire US. They had no idea they would bring down the buildings and I imagined them celebrating that. I LOVED hearing that bin Laden had been killed.
K I was just wondering where you were is all. Home, or work or whatever.

Bin Laden sleeps with the fishes now. 0 virgins.

The attack on 9/11 was far worse than the attack on Pearl Harbor. We went to war THEN with the attackers then and it took four years to whip their ass. What is taking so long with Muslims? We all know where Mecca is. We got maps.

Aw, please don't do this. Don't start in with this crap. Don't trash your own thread.

If you want to say that all Muslims are our enemy, start a new thread.

Last edited:
Labor Day 2001 was spent at my boss' place in Shanksville, PA. I was teaching hazardous materials handling in Duquesne, PA and our firm had a Labor Day golf outing at Indian Hills near Shanksville. The rest of the staff and I stayed overnight.

September 11 was a Tuesday and I had a class of Asbestos Removal contractors from Erie PA. I passed the receptionist on my way into the classroom. She said there was a 'small two engine plane' that crashed into the World Trade Center. I told the class that "if any of you are news junkies, the story today will be about a small plane crash into the World Trade Center in lower Manhattan." And so began the class on asbestos.

I took our scheduled break at 10:00 to give the guys a chance to stretch their legs and phone their offices to check messages. I walked into the conference room where, for once, the televisions were tuned into the local Pittsburgh stations instead of showing videos on hazardous waste. "What's going on at the World Trade Center?" I asked of one of the other instructors.

He turned with tears in his eyes and said "They're gone!"

I could not believe it!

Next on WTAE-TV was a report of another plane down in a field outside Shanksville. We had just spent the weekend there and now it's a place of tremendous tragedy.

I went home at noon, not able to take the usual route through the Squirrel Hill and Fort Pitt tunnels. The police had shut them down in precaution. The USX tower in downtown Pittsburgh was evacuated. The highways around Greater Pittsburgh International were closed. Classes the next day were suspended.

Thursday the 13th we came back to the offices. My boss explained how pieces of airplane upholstery, various papers and other debris were stuck in the rhodedens around his house.

September 11 happened right there at our firm.

Last edited:
I was still in bed. When I first found out about it a few hours later, I turned on the TV and saw that CMT was showing coverage of the nightmare. That is when I knew that my chain had not been yanked. What I had heard was for real.

God bless you and our homeland always!!!

Holly

Aw, please don't do this. Don't start in with this crap. Don't trash your own thread.

If you want to say that all Muslims are our enemy, start a new thread.
Absolutely right. Sorry. That didn't belong here, Reverence and remembrance.

Somebody said "Look at the sky". No contrails. No clouds. The airport was closed. I cannot remember the last time I saw the sky such a brilliant shade of blue here.

Forum List

Back