Which would you prefer?

Which one would you prefer?

• A bunch of racists with freedom to say anything

• People can only say what the govt or other institution has predetermined is OK

Results are only viewable after voting.
Macmuffin believes that you're a regressive if you don't believe that a racist should have the right to call in a bomb threat to a black church. Seriously reprehensible.
And USMB's King of the Straw Man is back.

:laugh:

Tell me EXACTLY what you disagree with of what I've said on the topic of this thread.
Are you admitting that you just tried a straw man, and that I shoved it in your face?

If you will admit that, we can continue.

No, I'm pointing out that you called me your lame pet prejorative 'regressive' because I've taken the position that free speech should not be unlimited.
If you don't have the intellectual honesty to admit the obvious, why in the world would I bother with you?

Macmuffin believes that you're a regressive if you don't believe that a racist should have the right to call in a bomb threat to a black church. Seriously reprehensible.

Tell me EXACTLY what you disagree with of what I've said on the topic of this thread.
Are you admitting that you just tried a straw man, and that I shoved it in your face?

No, I'm pointing out that you called me your lame pet prejorative 'regressive' because I've taken the position that free speech should not be unlimited.
If you don't have the intellectual honesty to admit the obvious, why in the world would I bother with you?

That's exactly the same sort of childish horseshit you spew whenever you've lost the argument.

How many here don't believe that the GOVERNMENT should have the power in any capacity to act against speech that is harmful?
harmful how?
Seems to me that if speech is ACTUALLY harmful, it isnt "free"

That's exactly the same sort of childish horseshit you spew whenever you've lost the argument.
Ah, you think you've "won" something again.

Well good for you.

Speaking of "childish".

Well good for you.

Speaking of "childish".

Why do you run away from the topic so often?

Why don't you tell everyone here what exactly I've said that was 'regressive',

since that was your accusation.

How many here don't believe that the GOVERNMENT should have the power in any capacity to act against speech that is harmful?
harmful how?
A normal, rational person knows that even freedom of speech must come with some level of restrictions, it is not absolute.

What the Regressives want to do, of course, is expand that to control as much speech as possible.

But they won't admit that. They can't even get themselves to vote for the first option in the poll.

They fool no one. They are illiberal authoritarian leftists.

Well good for you.

Speaking of "childish".

Why do you run away from the topic so often?

Why don't you tell everyone here what exactly I've said that was 'regressive',

since that was your accusation.
I realize how important my opinion is to you.

Unfortunately, I don't care about yours.

Therefore, you're free to think whatever you'd like.

Sorry.

harmful how?

That's a circular argument. Your #1 choice was 'any' speech, not speech that isn't harmful.

What do you mean by harmful?
And, bingo.

That's how they do it.

They'll expand the term to cover any speech they don't like.

Baloney. Free speech rights are the rights to speech and NOT be punished for it. You're talking nonsense.
You have the right to rent a billboard along a busy freeway with your picture on it with the message:

"Hi. I am NYCarbineer. I work for Toyota, but I hate those bastards. Those slant-eyed Japs build shitty cars. Don't buy Toyota autos."

Would Toyota be "punishing" you for your free speech if they fired you?

No. Toyota would be getting rid of an employee who is fucking up their business. HUGE difference.

So if your company fired you for owning a gun that's no violation of your right to own a gun?
I don't think that firing would be permissible even in an employment at will state, where without a contract you can be fired for no stated reason.

Even there, you cannot be fired for being black. I realize the analogy is lacking, because there's a specific federal law prohibiting firing based on race. But if I was fired for a facebook posting, and if I sued my boss, I'd lose ... because my boss would have a corresponding constitutional right to run a business, and my social media would be interfering with his right. However, if I just own a firearm I'm not affecting his right.

harmful how?

That's a circular argument. Your #1 choice was 'any' speech, not speech that isn't harmful.

And I wonder if the Regressives would consider "trying to convince as many Americans as possible that their President is an insane, out of control, white supremacist" might be considered "harmful"?

:dunno:

harmful how?

And, bingo.

That's how they do it.

I specified two examples of speech I would not 'like' to be protected. 1. Bomb threats 2. A schoolteacher ranting in class about 'fucking *******'.

That's why you called me 'regressive'. Because you don't agree with me.

harmful how?

And I wonder if the Regressives would consider "trying to convince as many Americans as possible that their President is an insane, out of control, white supremacist" might be considered "harmful"?

oooohhhhhh good one man

harmful how?

And, bingo.

That's how they do it.

I specified two examples of speech I would not 'like' to be protected. 1. Bomb threats 2. A schoolteacher ranting in class about 'fucking *******'.

And another straw man from USMB's King of the Straw Man.

Just keep making shit up. Whatever makes you feel better about yourself.

No harm, no foul.

harmful how?

And, bingo.

That's how they do it.

TN''s entire schtick is baseless. There's been no changes to free speech legal analysis since the Sup Ct found burning a flag was protected speech.

harmful how?

We have a CONSTITUTION and a GOVERNMENT to determine what is harmful. Harley doesn't want the government to have any such authority. Nor do you apparently.

harmful how?

And, bingo.

That's how they do it.

And another straw man from USMB's King of the Straw Man.

Just keep making shit up. Whatever makes you feel better about yourself.

No harm, no foul.

Ok, so you AGREE with me. Stop pretending you don't.

harmful how?

We have a CONSTITUTION and a GOVERNMENT to determine what is harmful. Harley doesn't want the government to have any such authority. Nor do you apparently.
TN, NYC here says that you and don't want the government to have any authority whatsoever on speech.

Obviously, he's lying about my position, but he does that all the time.

How about you?

Forum List

Back