White college fraternity in Oklahoma shut down for overt racism

kudos to the president of Oklahoma Universty for nipping this crap in he bud (i.e. shutting down the fraternity immediately).

these college kids should know better, but obviously they don't (i.e. they are stuck on stupid).

hate of any kind for any reason should not be tolerated, especially in our highest institutions for learning.
The president is the former Governor...

I'm sure the school practices affirmative action in their admissions. If such brazen racism against whites is allowed, then mere words insulting blacks should also be allowed.

This was a private fraternity bus ride. Not some public campus demonstration. Much as I dislike the chant and attitude, it was in the final analysis a private affair. The law protects even the most vile and disgusting hate speech as KKK rallies show. But no one's proposing we deny KKK permits to march and demonstrate in public. So why the double-standard when things done in private come to light?

There's the arguement their conduct violated whatever student code of behaviour binds them, but beyond that, if in fact such behaviour violated such a policy, they shouldn't be expelled, booted out of their frat, or anything else.

Racism exists, but you're not going to mitigate it or make it go away with punitive actions like this. If anything you're only making it worse.
You make a strong case for your views. Intuitively I take your side of this issue however.... The problem is once those views come out in public [even though it was a private event] it puts the onus on the U of Oklahoma to deal with the fallout. The U of Oklahoma has a right and a duty to protect "its brand"...a University teaches and what would be taught if these views are accepted without any reaction is that these views are "normal and acceptable as any other views"...they are not acceptable to the U of Oklahoma community....at least per the reaction of the Dean...

This [US Boards] is a private site and they also have a brand to protect . If I were a Neo Nazi and came on here expressing that Jews should be lynched etc the moderators and the site owners/administrators would be entirely correct to deny me further access to the threads....would that stop neo Nazi belief not in society in general but it would keep Neo Nazi unacceptable rhetoric from the site ....

This was a private fraternity bus ride. Not some public campus demonstration. Much as I dislike the chant and attitude, it was in the final analysis a private affair. The law protects even the most vile and disgusting hate speech as KKK rallies show. But no one's proposing we deny KKK permits to march and demonstrate in public. So why the double-standard when things done in private come to light?

There's the arguement their conduct violated whatever student code of behaviour binds them, but beyond that, if in fact such behaviour violated such a policy, they shouldn't be expelled, booted out of their frat, or anything else.

Racism exists, but you're not going to mitigate it or make it go away with punitive actions like this. If anything you're only making it worse.

If the fraternity is a private club they can conduct their racist business on their own, somewhere else, with no affiliation to the university.

NORMAN, Okla. – A racist chant by several members of a University of Oklahoma fraternity that was caught on video led to outrage from the school's president and the organization's banishment from campus, but fallout from the incident appears far from over.

The incident also had a profound effect on many of the roughly 1,400 black students who attend the university's Norman campus.

"I was shocked they were just doing it openly on the bus, like they were proud of it," said Jared Scarborough, a junior in construction science who is African-American. "From the chant, you could tell they had done it before. It wasn't a first-time thing. And it was everybody. And the fist-pumping."

The Greek letters were removed Monday from the side of the sprawling, sand-colored brick house on a street lined with fraternity and sorority houses just west of the center of campus, and members were ordered to have their belongings removed by midnight Tuesday.

The Oklahoma football team decided to protest rather than practice on Monday. At the team's indoor practice facility, coach Bob Stoops led the way as players, joined by athletic director Joe Castiglione, walked arm-in-arm, wearing black.

University of Oklahoma students in racist chant controversy face expulsion Fox News

Yep. No problem here.

"Hands Up, Don't Shoot" is another racist refrain admittedly based on lies.

Ferguson is a celebration for Democrats. Looting and violence. When some white students predictably react, the media pounced. This what Ferguson was all about. Causing bigotry in kids that before where not prejudice.

I don't agree with this chant, but I understand it's motivation, and Democrats caused this mess in hopes that racial undertones that were long buried would come to the surface.

You make a strong case for your views. Intuitively I take your side of this issue however.... The problem is once those views come out in public [even though it was a private event] it puts the onus on the U of Oklahoma to deal with the fallout. The U of Oklahoma has a right and a duty to protect "its brand"...a University teaches and what would be taught if these views are accepted without any reaction is that these views are "normal and acceptable as any other views"...they are not acceptable to the U of Oklahoma community....at least per the reaction of the Dean...

This [US Boards] is a private site and they also have a brand to protect . If I were a Neo Nazi and came on here expressing that Jews should be lynched etc the moderators and the site owners/administrators would be entirely correct to deny me further access to the threads....would that stop neo Nazi belief not in society in general but it would keep Neo Nazi unacceptable rhetoric from the site ....

I agree that the university has to protect itself when stuff like this is made public. But their actions only make it seem like they did so only when the frat's behaviour was made public. From what I've heard on the coverage of the incident, this came as no surprise to black students on campus so wasn't exactly a secret. Yet the university allowed it to continue. Only did something about it when there was the video of it made public.

Not gonna eliminate racism by eliminating racists any more than you can eliminate terrorists by dropping bombs on places terrorists live (since you only cause greater resentment in the survivors who then go on to become new terrorists.)

Thinking of it another way (while going potty, do some of my best thinking in there hehe)

Closing down a racist fraternity makes about as much sense for combating racism as banning the weapons used in the latest mass killing spree does to prevent another mass killing spree.

If the fraternity is a private club they can conduct their racist business on their own, somewhere else, with no affiliation to the university.
I guess a bus isn't private enough for you. Think it would be better if they did it in a cave in Tora Bora?

Oklahoma students protest fraternity s racist video

Now, if my son were in that video I dont think I'd be very proud of him. But dont people have the right to say things? Even things that are offensive to others? Do you think they ought to be kicked out of school just for some hijinks?
You have a right to say anything you want

You also have a right to face the consequences
So Russians under the old Soviet system had a right to free speech as long as they accepted they would be sent to the gulag.
Lib logic at its best.

Thinking of it another way (while going potty, do some of my best thinking in there hehe)

Closing down a racist fraternity makes about as much sense for combating racism as banning the weapons used in the latest mass killing spree does to prevent another mass killing spree.
That doesn't even begin to make any kind of sense at all.

Sounds like a personal problem. Maybe you should read more books.

I guess a bus isn't private enough for you. Think it would be better if they did it in a cave in Tora Bora?

I'm pretty sure the fraternity is officially sanctioned by the university, therefore the rules and regulations of that university apply to all fraternity activities.

Books won't help you stop being an apologist for racism.

Now, if my son were in that video I dont think I'd be very proud of him. But dont people have the right to say things? Even things that are offensive to others? Do you think they ought to be kicked out of school just for some hijinks?

So Russians under the old Soviet system had a right to free speech as long as they accepted they would be sent to the gulag.
Lib logic at its best.

Gulag?

Can't pick a more bizarre hyperbole?

Books won't help you stop being an apologist for racism.

Not apologising for it so much as not supporting methods which wont work to fight it. I only support winning strategies, not feel-good ones like dismantling the frat, or banning the guns used in the latest shooting spree.

The response of the college and the Frat's National President is fully warranted and welcome.
No one is attempting to ban free speech, responsible parties are merely meeting their fiduciary responsibility in appropriately applying the response to the student's exercise of free speech.

Lib logic at its best.

Gulag?

Can't pick a more bizarre hyperbole?
Translation: I can't really refute that so I'll try to mock it instead.

If you are sanctioned for merely expressing an opinion then there is no freedom of speech.

Forum List

Back