White college fraternity in Oklahoma shut down for overt racism

With liberal hysterics like this, America is becoming as gay as Sweden, and that is no easy feat.

no seriously. What brought you & the other guy here? You know there are sites that cater to your people's fears.

Look far be it from me to defend some of these jack-asses that say this is no big deal, but seriously...isn't there a point where we go too far punishing people? I don't condone these kids for their song, nor do I condone racism but isn't there a point where it becomes disingenuous? Show me a person that has never uttered a single word that was racially disparaging and I will show you a liar. No matter the race, everyone has used a racially disparaging word at some point in their lives. Yet whenever someone else uses one we all put on the display of absolute disgust and outrage as though we have never heard it before. We do it because it has become an "all or nothing" issue. If you don't scream bloody murder and demand crucifixion then you are just as bad as someone who said the naughty word.

It's like we are a society of kindergarten children who scream "he said a naughty word!!!! AUUUUUGGGHHH!!!!"

As I said I don't condone racism or this situation. But lets look to ourselves before we start stoning the one who said Jehovah (monty python...look it up)

Right after Selma too :eusa_doh: Sad, sad, SAD!!!

Univ. of Oklahoma president Frat members disgraceful - Yahoo News
NORMAN, Okla. (AP) — The president of the University of Oklahoma severed the school's ties with a national fraternity on Monday and ordered that its on-campus house be shuttered after several members took part in a racist chant caught in an online video.

President David Boren said he was sickened and couldn't eat or sleep after learning about the video Sunday afternoon. It shows several people on a bus participating in a chant that included a racial slur, referenced lynching and indicated black students would never be admitted to OU's chapter of Sigma Alpha Epsilon.
rdean

They needed to be shut down, it sends a good signal

NORMAN, Okla. (AP) — The president of the University of Oklahoma severed the school's ties with a national fraternity on Monday and ordered that its on-campus house be shuttered after several members took part in a racist chant caught in an online video.

President David Boren said he was sickened and couldn't eat or sleep after learning about the video Sunday afternoon. It shows several people on a bus participating in a chant that included a racial slur, referenced lynching and indicated black students would never be admitted to OU's chapter of Sigma Alpha Epsilon.
rdean

Ive never actually liked the idea of fraternities in the first place. they dont really instill individuality period. Doesnt seem to be the real purpose of going to college but can be such a big thing to stupid kids

rdean

They needed to be shut down, it sends a good signal
Agreed.

White males should be forced into their own universities all by themselves so that they can't microaggress against fellow students.

What do you care if people are excluded for skin color?

Aren't you all for that when whitey is excluded?

You can't eat your cake and have it too.
Who said I cared? I just thought the video was an interesting example of racist behavior.

So is excluding white people from a meeting at a public school.

Like I said you can't be for one and against the other
No its not. The subject matter had nothing to do with whites. It was about Black students being able to voice their issues. Fraternities are not set up for racial exclusion.

And neither are public schools.

You can't rationalize your way out of this.

White students were turned away for no other reason than they were white. Period.
Dealing with issues Black students face in an environment that makes them comfortable supersedes any racial exclusions. White kids arent Black so there is no reason for them to be in a assembly that is for Black kids.

Fine then don't do it in a public building with public employees running the meeting.

rdean
You beat me to it. I was just going to post it. Here is the video.

Freedom of speech no???

And now they have the freedom to pack their shit and get out.

NORMAN, Okla. – A racist chant by several members of a University of Oklahoma fraternity that was caught on video led to outrage from the school's president and the organization's banishment from campus, but fallout from the incident appears far from over.

The incident also had a profound effect on many of the roughly 1,400 black students who attend the university's Norman campus.

"I was shocked they were just doing it openly on the bus, like they were proud of it," said Jared Scarborough, a junior in construction science who is African-American. "From the chant, you could tell they had done it before. It wasn't a first-time thing. And it was everybody. And the fist-pumping."

The Greek letters were removed Monday from the side of the sprawling, sand-colored brick house on a street lined with fraternity and sorority houses just west of the center of campus, and members were ordered to have their belongings removed by midnight Tuesday.

The Oklahoma football team decided to protest rather than practice on Monday. At the team's indoor practice facility, coach Bob Stoops led the way as players, joined by athletic director Joe Castiglione, walked arm-in-arm, wearing black.

University of Oklahoma students in racist chant controversy face expulsion Fox News

Yep. No problem here.

rdean

Freedom of speech no???

You do not know the back story of my conversations with Asclepias.

This was a private fraternity bus ride. Not some public campus demonstration. Much as I dislike the chant and attitude, it was in the final analysis a private affair. The law protects even the most vile and disgusting hate speech as KKK rallies show. But no one's proposing we deny KKK permits to march and demonstrate in public. So why the double-standard when things done in private come to light?

There's the arguement their conduct violated whatever student code of behaviour binds them, but beyond that, if in fact such behaviour violated such a policy, they shouldn't be expelled, booted out of their frat, or anything else.

Racism exists, but you're not going to mitigate it or make it go away with punitive actions like this. If anything you're only making it worse.

The US is getting gayer by the minute, in Oklahoma no less. I thought that state was supposed to be "right wing"?

People says nagger and people launch into organized protest :lol:

All 77 counties voted against Obama, not once, but twice. I don't know how you can get any more right wing than that.

You can act like an asshole all you want, especially while you're sitting comfortably at home, behind your keyboard. However, you'd be too much of a chickenshit-coward to say any of these things out loud and in public.

You're a real internet trooper!

rdean

Freedom of speech no???

You do not know the back story of my conversations with Asclepias.

I don't really care.

They are done.

Negative reinforcement doesn't work. You don't reward bad behaviour. You ignore it, not acklnowledge it.
They are done.

Ya, and now you have however many fratboys pissed as hell at the school to say nothing of blacks. That's SO much better than letting them rant and rave in private.

lolwut?

Poor things.
News - Media Statements - Fraternity Leadership Closes Chapter at University of Oklahoma - Sigma Alpha Epsilon

I love it when bad shit happens to stupid people

Dumb asses are singing one of their favorite songs while someone is taking video right in front of them

Then they whine as the whole University turns against their frat
I like how you get into a fit over someone saying the nagger word.

Mommy he said a mean word! :lol:

Yes they did and they have a right to say it

The University also has a right to say they don't want organizations that enjoy dancing around and singing the word on their campus

but its ok for Al Sharpton to see all white people as honkys/crackers/white trash etc. and he has no problem spewing his hatred of whites to his uneducated crowds of democrats in Harlem/Chicago.

Forum List

Back