White man slaps screaming black kid - No injury - Gets 8 months in prison

More affirmative action BS. If the races were reversed, the slapper would have been a hero.

Man Who Slapped Toddler on Flight from Mpls. Sentenced to 8 months | KSTP TV - Minneapolis and St. Paul

01/06/2014
A federal judge on Monday sentenced a man who pleaded guilty to slapping a crying toddler on an Atlanta-bound flight to serve eight months in federal prison.

Joe Rickey Hundley was accused of using a racial slur to refer to the 19-month-old boy, who's black, and hitting him under the eye as the flight from Minneapolis descended to the Atlanta airport last February. He pleaded guilty in October to simple assault after reaching a plea agreement with prosecutors.

Hundley, who lived in Idaho at the time, was on a Delta flight from Minneapolis to Atlanta on Feb. 8 and was seated in a window seat next to Bennett, who was sitting in the aisle seat and had her 19-month-old son on her lap, according to court filings.

As the plane descended into Atlanta, the child started crying. Hundley leaned over to Bennett and "told her to shut that (N-word) baby up," according to a sworn statement from an FBI agent who investigated the incident. Bennett asked Hundley what he had said, and he leaned in with his face next to hers and said it again, prosecutors have said.

Hundley then slapped the child's face, leaving a scratch below his right eye, the FBI agent's statement says.

Hundley's only son was in a coma in Atlanta after an insulin overdose that was the result of a suspected suicide attempt, Shein has said. Hundley had spent the prior day talking to his ex-wife and doctors after his son was declared brain dead, Shein said, and he booked a last-minute flight to Atlanta so he and his ex-wife could take their son off life support.

"I made the most terrible day in my life much worse for me and for others," Hundley told the judge.

You actually take issue with this? I'll tell you right now, if anyone laid hands on my kid like that, I'd kill them.

8 months, he got off light.

No, but a fair number on the left have been plenty dickish about not seeing where a man could come undone in his situation.

No high road in this thread. ;)

What was his excuse in his previous assault charge? How many types of situations cause him to come undone? I agree that he was in a very sad situation, but people have suffered worst situations don't react that way.

Prosecutors had recommended a sentence of six months in prison, and Hundley reserved his right to argue for a lower sentence. U.S. Magistrate Judge Alan Baverman said he imposed a higher sentence in part because of Hundley's criminal history, which includes a prior assault.
Man in toddler-slapping plane case gets 8 months - San Antonio Express-News

Yes. I know. I'm a survivor of fuck-all everything, and yet I didn't kill my parents. GO, ME!

Strangely enough though? I don't feel superior to those who didn't refrain. There but for the grace, and all that.

I am so happy for you though. So strong. Lost a child, comported yourself with perfect grace and fineness all the days that followed. I'm impressed. No, really. You set the standard this gentleman should ascribe to. Maybe if he'd known about you, he would not have come undone.

Well, I don't condone criminal activity just because I've had a bad day....And, I wasn't trying to impress anyone....just pointing out to those who claim that I haven't walked in someone who has lost a child's shoes, that I have, and if I had reacted like him, then I would have deserved to be punished. Grief is no excuse to be uncivil, especially to a baby.

I understand that you are not saying that he shouldn't be punished, what I don't understand is why you think some of us shouldn't be enraged at what he did.

What was his excuse in his previous assault charge? How many types of situations cause him to come undone? I agree that he was in a very sad situation, but people have suffered worst situations don't react that way.

Prosecutors had recommended a sentence of six months in prison, and Hundley reserved his right to argue for a lower sentence. U.S. Magistrate Judge Alan Baverman said he imposed a higher sentence in part because of Hundley's criminal history, which includes a prior assault.
Man in toddler-slapping plane case gets 8 months - San Antonio Express-News

Yes. I know. I'm a survivor of fuck-all everything, and yet I didn't kill my parents. GO, ME!

Strangely enough though? I don't feel superior to those who didn't refrain. There but for the grace, and all that.

I am so happy for you though. So strong. Lost a child, comported yourself with perfect grace and fineness all the days that followed. I'm impressed. No, really. You set the standard this gentleman should ascribe to. Maybe if he'd known about you, he would not have come undone.

Well, I don't condone criminal activity just because I've had a bad day....And, I wasn't trying to impress anyone....just pointing out to those who claim that I haven't walked in someone who has lost a child's shoes, that I have, and if I had reacted like him, then I would have deserved to be punished. Grief is no excuse to be uncivil, especially to a baby.

I understand that you are not saying that he shouldn't be punished, what I don't understand is why you think some of us shouldn't be enraged at what he did.

Nor did I say that.

If the child had been white the man would have been removed from the plane and that would have been the end of it. His punishment is solely due to the child being black.

Agreed.

I seriously doubt it, it would be up to the parent, whether or not to file charges and I'm sure that no "real" parent would let someone get away with slapping their child, especially since he actually scratched the baby when he slapped him and used a racial slur toward him. Both of your comments are just partisan-hack-like and lame.

A neighbor of mine, when we lived in Virginia took it upon herself to smack my 4 year old son because he had pushed her 3 year old daughter. She's lucky that I had a lot of restraint and didn't deck her right there and then......but I did call the police and they told me I could charge her with assault. I didn't do it because the husband came crying to me not to file charges....he literally begged me with tears, and since my son didn't show signs of trauma over it, I let it go....but I warned them, the next time I would not let it go.

You have not lost a child, have you?

Then you can't put yourself i this man's shoes.

I can. I admire his restraint.

Slapping a baby.

Does he deserve sympathy for his child? Absolutely.

Should he have slapped a baby?

Are you guys fucking kidding me???

What if it was your kid? Would you say, "Oh well my baby was being annoying. And that guy was in distress. He can go ahead and throw a racial slur at my baby and slap him in the face. That's perfectly reasonable."

Is this really happening? Are you all really defending this???
I don't excuse his actions. I empathize with him. I understand as only the father who has lost a child under similar circumstances can.

I'm sorry. You just don't, and can't understand.

I lost my first child.

There is never an excuse for hitting a child.

There are no extenuating circumstances.

Other people understand loss.

Nor did I say that.
Well, in a sense you did, you claimed that we didn't take into consideration his situation...that pretty much says that if we had we wouldn't be so enraged at him, we would have understood where he was coming from, like you.

Slapping a baby.

Does he deserve sympathy for his child? Absolutely.

Should he have slapped a baby?

Are you guys fucking kidding me???

What if it was your kid? Would you say, "Oh well my baby was being annoying. And that guy was in distress. He can go ahead and throw a racial slur at my baby and slap him in the face. That's perfectly reasonable."

Is this really happening? Are you all really defending this???
I don't excuse his actions. I empathize with him. I understand as only the father who has lost a child under similar circumstances can.

I lost my first child.

Your blindness does not negate Ernie's sight.

What some rw's defend ... it doesn't even surprise me anymore.

Its like some of them are a lower life form. They're not even human.

No one is defending him, you ass, but I do understand his reaction. You cannot.

There is something about airports that makes people crazy. If you aren't crazy when you get there you will be when you leave. Airports are a nightmare, planes don't give you enough room. Anyone who flies with a young child should be prepared with Lifesavers or a sugar tit or something that will calm the child down. I carried those little DumDum suckers when we flew. Never had any problem with the kids.

Nor did I say that.
Well, in a sense you did, you claimed that we didn't take into consideration his situation...that pretty much says that if we had we wouldn't be so enraged at him, we would have understood where he was coming from, like you.

Yes, got it. Understood. No compassion. Operated in a vacuum, yeah.:thup:

Like me, I think Boop is empathizing with the guy. Should he have slapped a 19 month old child? Hell no!
BUT, having been pretty damned close to the emotional state the man was in at the time, for the same reason, I sure as hell understand why he did.

As I said before, my reaction would have been to slap the mother if she couldn't or wouldn't control her kid.

I don't give a damn what kind of bad day you are having, it doesn't give you any excuse for slapping anyone.

So, you slap women because their child may be having a problem?

Nor did I say that.

Compassion is one thing, understanding that bad breaks don't entitle one to assault another person, especially a child, is another.

And what kind of damned sense does "I lost my child, so I'm going to smack YOUR child" make anyway?

I lost my first child.

Your blindness does not negate Ernie's sight.

I worked with dying patients for a year. I learned that year, that if there is ANY dysfunction in a family or individual it will show itself at that time. And the inequity of life and death just cannot be explained away.

Having practiced in psychiatry for 25 years, I do know what passive aggression is. It is entirely possible the woman knew the child was driving the man up the wall and did nothing. Passive aggressive people make most anyone crazy. One time, I asked my PhD mentor how to handle the passive aggressive person. Her response, 'hit him in the nose.' Obviously she was joking, but there ARE behaviors that are crazy making behaviors. Bottom line: We don't know the complete story.

This guy got less than a year. It is likely that he will be out much sooner.

Compassion is one thing, understanding that bad breaks don't entitle one to assault another person, especially a child, is another.

And what kind of damned sense does "I lost my child, so I'm going to smack YOUR child" make anyway?

Oh good. Here, sign on the Angel's Pledge;

"I, [insert your name here] do solemnly swear that never in my pristine life have I ever said or done anything in the heat of the moment that I later regretted."

Ta!

Forum List

Back