White man slaps screaming black kid - No injury - Gets 8 months in prison

Like me, I think Boop is empathizing with the guy. Should he have slapped a 19 month old child? Hell no!
BUT, having been pretty damned close to the emotional state the man was in at the time, for the same reason, I sure as hell understand why he did.

As I said before, my reaction would have been to slap the mother if she couldn't or wouldn't control her kid.

Agreed. But I would have asked to be seated elsewhere as soon as he called my baby a name, BEFORE he got violent.

Good! THAT is showing logic and responsibility. The mother had no way to know why the man acted as he did, but she was the one in control of her faculties and should have sought help earlier.
The man was incapable of rational action.

Like me, I think Boop is empathizing with the guy. Should he have slapped a 19 month old child? Hell no!
BUT, having been pretty damned close to the emotional state the man was in at the time, for the same reason, I sure as hell understand why he did.

As I said before, my reaction would have been to slap the mother if she couldn't or wouldn't control her kid.

Agreed. But I would have asked to be seated elsewhere as soon as he called my baby a name, BEFORE he got violent.

Good! THAT is showing logic and responsibility. The mother had no way to know why the man acted as he did, but she was the one in control of her faculties and should have sought help earlier.
The man was incapable of rational action.

What was the time lapse between him calling the child a name and slapping him? Sounded pretty quick to me. She asked him what he said and it appears he repeated it then slapped the child. maybe she did not have time? Either way unless you have a private jet you have to deal with others. There is no excuse for his actions.

BOTH. THE. PARENTS. ARE. WHITE.

Their son is adopted.

That just makes it worse, you white-hating racist POS. Why don't you go out and pass some more affirmative action laws so you can persecute us whites even more.? You need professional help!!

Are you ignorant or what. I'm white, so why would I hate whites? Just because you hate blacks doesn't mean that all white people should....and you are the racist....that can't tell when something is totally unacceptable, regardless of what color either one of them are....and you claim you are so persecuted? Give me a break.

I don't think professional help would help the likes of you.

[

Someone should slap you.....kids don't scream for the hell of it....their ears hurt when they fly. .

Oh stop with that phony earache crap. You telling me all kids get earaches when they fly??
You're just another racist liberal who always sides AGAINST the white man.

You idiot. I'm white, my husband is white, we're just not racist jerks like you....and yes, children's ears are more sensitive than adults....obviously you don't have children, and if you do, you shouldn't, because obviously you know nothing about children.

Flying's Effects on Ears
Many of us have felt that weird ear-popping sensation when we fly. For kids (especially babies and young children), it can seem especially odd and even scary at first. But it's a common, normal part of flying.
Flying and Your Child's Ears

My friend who is a scuba diver explains it as the pressure on our ear drums changes with depth (in his case) or with changes in altitude while on an airplane. Kids get bothered by this it seems more than adults. Babies especially are unhappy with the pressure changes and, being babies, cannot easily be told what to do to make it better.In the Air: The Ear Thing | www.travelwithyourkids.com

[

Someone should slap you.....kids don't scream for the hell of it....their ears hurt when they fly. .

Oh stop with that phony earache crap. You telling me all kids get earaches when they fly??

You idiot. I'm white, my husband is white, we're just not racist jerks like you....and yes, children's ears are more sensitive than adults....obviously you don't have children, and if you do, you shouldn't, because obviously you know nothing about children.

Flying's Effects on Ears
Many of us have felt that weird ear-popping sensation when we fly. For kids (especially babies and young children), it can seem especially odd and even scary at first. But it's a common, normal part of flying.

My friend who is a scuba diver explains it as the pressure on our ear drums changes with depth (in his case) or with changes in altitude while on an airplane. Kids get bothered by this it seems more than adults. Babies especially are unhappy with the pressure changes and, being babies, cannot easily be told what to do to make it better.In the Air: The Ear Thing | www.travelwithyourkids.com

My daughter had a double ear infection when she was six weeks old. :( The worst thing about it is the cry, because they are so hopeless when the pain does not relent. It's a different cry than all the other cries.

Flying's Effects on Ears

My daughter had a double ear infection when she was six weeks old. :( The worst thing about it is the cry, because they are so hopeless when the pain does not relent. It's a different cry than all the other cries.

Nature designed it that way to activate the protective instinct in adult humans. Maybe this guy isnt really human.

Losing a child is a big deal, but people shouldn't lose sight of civility because they are going through a difficult time. The child was not the cause of him losing his child, neither was the mother....if he was in such distress that a crying child would upset him to that point of "slapping him" - he should have talked to a flight attendant, informed them of his situation and I'm sure they would have moved him to where he wouldn't be that close to the child.

I know I wouldn't stand for someone slapping my child because he/she was crying....if I had been the mother on that plane, they probably would have arrested me because I would have been all over that dude.

Another person who has no idea what it's like to be in the man's position. I'll tell you from experience that it never occurred to the man that changing seats was an option; no idea that anyone at all could possible empathize with him; no idea that anyone at all could possibly help.

I sincerely hope you never do have to walk a mile in this man's shoes.

But it's understandable to call a baby a ****** and then slap it because HIS child was dead. And he was drunk. That baby didn't kill his child. That baby was a baby. Would YOU smack a baby, call it a ******, if your child just died, Ernie? Oh hell no. This much I know about you.

In the immediate aftermath of my son's death, had I been on a plane with a screaming kid? Perhaps I would. As I remember, there were 2 people I wanted to kill at Ben's funeral.

You just don't understand.

A friend and I were talking about it the other night. She admitted to having no idea what it would be like. She was absolutely right.
All the parents here are saying how they all would be kicking the hell out of the guy for laying his hands on their child. That is entirely understandable Any parent will do whatever he can to defend their child.

But when you lose a child to suicide, there is no one to focus all the rage on, nothing you can do to make it right,. All you have is a profound sense of guilt.

"I should have been there!"

"I must be a shitty dad."

And a hundred more I shoulda's, coulda's go through your head.

And no one, is really to blame. But you NEED to focus the hate. You need to fight back.

Someone pisses you off? Good enough.

Right? Hell no.

I understand.

Another person who has no idea what it's like to be in the man's position. I'll tell you from experience that it never occurred to the man that changing seats was an option; no idea that anyone at all could possible empathize with him; no idea that anyone at all could possibly help.

But it's understandable to call a baby a ****** and then slap it because HIS child was dead. And he was drunk. That baby didn't kill his child. That baby was a baby. Would YOU smack a baby, call it a ******, if your child just died, Ernie? Oh hell no. This much I know about you.

In the immediate aftermath of my son's death, had I been on a plane with a screaming kid? Perhaps I would. As I remember, there were 2 people I wanted to kill at Ben's funeral.

A friend and I were talking about it the other night. She admitted to having no idea what it would be like. She was absolutely right.
All the parents here are saying how they all would be kicking the hell out of the guy for laying his hands on their child. That is entirely understandable Any parent will do whatever he can to defend their child.

But when you lose a child to suicide, there is no one to focus all the rage on, nothing you can do to make it right,. All you have is a profound sense of guilt.

And no one, is really to blame. But you NEED to focus the hate. You need to fight back.

Right? Hell no.

I understand.

I guess you are right. I would never understand. All young children make me smile and feel protective no matter what they are doing and no matter how upset I am.

Right? Hell no.

I understand.

I guess you are right. I would never understand. All young children make me smile and feel protective no matter what they are doing and no matter how upset I am.

Same holds true for me. And Ernie. And probably damn near every person on the board. And probably the guy who did the slapping.

I called my father a prick at my mother's funeral luncheon.

That's not who I am - but I did it. And I understand why I did it. It was inexcusable. But given the same situation? I'd probably do it again.

People shame themselves when they act out from a place of pain.

Who knows. Maybe it's very important that everybody believe that "Oh, I never would!"

Know what that means? You just haven't crossed that bridge yet. And obviously you have a different bridge, one that keeps children safe. But sure as shit, if you are human, at some point you're going to lash out from a place of pain or anger and say or do something you never thought you would say or do.

Wow! You would have slapped a woman who is a complete stranger because she couldn't keep her child from crying? That's just a teeny bit not as awful as hitting the baby.....

Being in such an emotional state does not excuse his actions. That the judge sympathized with him and gave him a shorter sentence than most of us would have liked is understandable, but he's not the only person in the world that has ever lost a child. I have lost a child, and it didn't turn me into a lunatic losing control of all civility.

The judge didn't give him a shorter sentence. He gave him a two month longer than recommended sentence.

Well, gee Gracie. When you put it like that, losing your child almost seems like no big deal.

Losing a child is a big deal, but people shouldn't lose sight of civility because they are going through a difficult time. The child was not the cause of him losing his child, neither was the mother....if he was in such distress that a crying child would upset him to that point of "slapping him" - he should have talked to a flight attendant, informed them of his situation and I'm sure they would have moved him to where he wouldn't be that close to the child.

I know I wouldn't stand for someone slapping my child because he/she was crying....if I had been the mother on that plane, they probably would have arrested me because I would have been all over that dude.

You don't know that I have or haven't. I have lost a child.....but I didn't go ape shit wanting everyone to feel sorry for me to the point that I would hit someone because I wanted everyone to focus on my grief. And the fact that he called the child a racial slur, just makes it obvious....he is racist and the fact that the child was crying just exacerbated his hatred.

My child didn't die the way that man's did, but losing a child is painful regardless, so I have walked in his shoes in that respect, but I still think he was wrong and deserves what he got.

Flying's Effects on Ears

My ears hurt every time I fly, but I try to chew gum and do the Valsalva, helps relieve the pressure. I used to have ear aches when I was little and next to a toothache, they are the worst. I can't imagine a baby dealing with one.....

Forum List

Back