White students can't compete with asians in NJ school district

.... do you notice that Americans spend the schools dollar higher on sports complexes than lowering the class size? Do Asians allow their kids to spend several hours a week on sports, cutting into their study time. ......

The countries those 'Asian' kids come from generally have much larger class sizes than people obsess over here, and physical education is taken much more seriously as an actual class.
It is common for class size to start at at 60 and dwindle to 30 as the class progresses. Pressure to be in the top half is common. Parents will do most anything to see their children excel.

Sports are not a hindrance to education.
Of course it is.......

Absolutely not. Participating in organized sports teaches discipline, time-management, and excuse-free focus on results.
It also teaches you to work with others, but in Asian countries that is not the case. ......

The principles apply anywhere. In some countries in Asia, kids who show an early aptitude for sports are tracked into 'sports' schools where they take up a great deal more of a student's time than here.
That is true. That is for those sports included in the Olympics, they are separated from the parents at an early age. Only Olympic challengers.

No. You are thinking of a very small percentage of very gifted kids specifically in China (and not as much there anymore either). I'm speaking more generally.

This demonstrates the problem with all these generalizations. Much of this is based on exaggeration, speculation, stereotyping, and impressions from popular media. Most fundamentally, we are not comparing like with like.

Of course it is.......

Absolutely not. Participating in organized sports teaches discipline, time-management, and excuse-free focus on results.
It also teaches you to work with others, but in Asian countries that is not the case. ......

The principles apply anywhere. In some countries in Asia, kids who show an early aptitude for sports are tracked into 'sports' schools where they take up a great deal more of a student's time than here.
That is true. That is for those sports included in the Olympics, they are separated from the parents at an early age. Only Olympic challengers.

No. You are thinking of a very small percentage of very gifted kids specifically in China (and not as much there anymore either). I'm speaking more generally.

This demonstrates the problem with all these generalizations. Much of this is based on exaggeration, speculation, stereotyping, and impressions from popular media. Most fundamentally, we are not comparing like with like.
Unkotare, it's not just gifted children that score highly in China. Remember, China is number one in ratings.

Full disclosure: I've been teaching for over 20 years, including years in China, Japan, Korea and the great majority in the US. I work directly with Chinese students (and their families) here in America every day, including today. I also work at a very inner city HS, so I am directly and personally familiar with all ranges and facets of this discussion.

[.....Parents will do most anything to see their children excel.

Wouldn't you?
Not like the Asians, I have to admit. My son did well as I expected him to do, but he still spent time on sports and did not spend hours of studying at home. We played a lot. lol.
Don't get me wrong, he was in private schools where expectations were high and you had to meet those expectations or you were dismissed.

Unkotare, it's not just gifted children that score highly in China. Remember, China is number one in ratings.

Which ratings? Ratings based on...?

Full disclosure: I've been teaching for over 20 years, including years in China, Japan, Korea and the great majority in the US. I work directly with Chinese students (and their families) here in America every day, including today. I also work at a very inner city HS, so I am directly and personally familiar with all ranges and facets of this discussion.
I find it hard to believe that you taught in Asian countries. You would know better. Google Asian education vs. American education.

Read the book, the smartest kids in the world and how they got that way by Amanda Ripley. It is an eye opener.

I find it hard to believe that you taught in Asian countries. .....

I hate to disappoint you, but it's true. I don't need to 'Google' it.

How about you? Did you teach anywhere in Asia? Do you work with international students from Asian countries every day here in America?

Countries ranked on maths and science
1. Singapore
2. Hong Kong
3. South Korea
4. Japan (joint)
4. Taiwan (joint)

6. Finland
7. Estonia
8. Switzerland
9. Netherlands
10. Canada
11. Poland
12. Vietnam
13. Germany
14. Australia
15. Ireland
16. Belgium
17. New Zealand
18. Slovenia
19. Austria
20. United Kingdom
21. Czech Republic
22. Denmark
23. France
24. Latvia
25. Norway
26. Luxembourg
27. Spain
28. Italy (joint)
28. United States (joint)
30. Portugal
31. Lithuania
32. Hungary
33. Iceland
34. Russia
35. Sweden
36. Croatia
37. Slovak Republic
38. Ukraine
39. Israel
40. Greece
41. Turkey
42. Serbia
43. Bulgaria
44. Romania
45. UAE
46. Cyprus
47. Thailand
48. Chile
49. Kazakhstan
50. Armenia
51. Iran
52. Malaysia
53. Costa Rica
54. Mexico
55. Uruguay
56. Montenegro
57. Bahrain
58. Lebanon
59. Georgia
60. Brazil
61. Jordan
62. Argentina
63. Albania
64. Tunisia
65. Macedonia
66. Saudi Arabia
67. Colombia
68. Qatar
69. Indonesia
70. Botswana
71. Peru
72. Oman
73. Morocco
74. Honduras
75. South Africa
76. Ghana
Asia tops biggest global school rankings - BBC News

How about you? Did you teach anywhere in Asia? Do you work with international students from Asian countries every day here in America?
Ignorance is held by those who refuse to learn.

Countries ranked on maths and science
1. Singapore
2. Hong Kong
3. South Korea
4. Japan (joint)
4. Taiwan (joint)

6. Finland
7. Estonia
8. Switzerland
9. Netherlands
10. Canada
11. Poland
12. Vietnam
13. Germany
14. Australia
15. Ireland
16. Belgium
17. New Zealand
18. Slovenia
19. Austria
20. United Kingdom
21. Czech Republic
22. Denmark
23. France
24. Latvia
25. Norway
26. Luxembourg
27. Spain
28. Italy (joint)
28. United States (joint)
30. Portugal
31. Lithuania
32. Hungary
33. Iceland
34. Russia
35. Sweden
36. Croatia
37. Slovak Republic
38. Ukraine
39. Israel
40. Greece
41. Turkey
42. Serbia
43. Bulgaria
44. Romania
45. UAE
46. Cyprus
47. Thailand
48. Chile
49. Kazakhstan
50. Armenia
51. Iran
52. Malaysia
53. Costa Rica
54. Mexico
55. Uruguay
56. Montenegro
57. Bahrain
58. Lebanon
59. Georgia
60. Brazil
61. Jordan
62. Argentina
63. Albania
64. Tunisia
65. Macedonia
66. Saudi Arabia
67. Colombia
68. Qatar
69. Indonesia
70. Botswana
71. Peru
72. Oman
73. Morocco
74. Honduras
75. South Africa
76. Ghana
Asia tops biggest global school rankings - BBC News

You said China ranks number one. It's not even on your list. And who exactly is being ranked? By whom?

[.....Parents will do most anything to see their children excel.

Wouldn't you?
Not like the Asians, I have to admit. .....

And you personally knew 'Asian' families of your kids cohorts such that you could make any such comparison?
I did have a few Asian children although they were in a class for under performing children, it was basically due to language barriers.

Ignorance is held by those who refuse to learn.

I missed your answer to the questions.

Forum List

Back